J
Posted By
J._Morrison
Jun 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can these old programs run on a G-5 in the classic mode. I’ve heard different answers concerning the subject. The G-5 opens all the old install disks and opens all the files etc. I just don’t want to try installing any of these old programs until I have more info. I got two different answers from Adobe tech people! The G-5 is going replace a 9 year old 7500/100 (w/ 225 MGz CPU) that is still running strong. And even though my Adobe programs are old- they can still produce good work.

Thanks for any input on this.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Jun 26, 2004
Yes. they will work. probably not all that well Pagemakers a dog in Classic. and PM 6 was problematic at best anyway.

why would you want to use old software on a new G5 whats the point??

If you are going to keep the using old software might as well keep using the old computer.
J
J._Morrison
Jun 26, 2004
Pagemaker and PhotoShop are just two of a large number of plug-ins and programs that I use, but not on a daily basis. The G-5 is primarily going to be used for tasks and programs that require quite large ammounts of band width. Also, I have heard that Adobe is working on a whole new CS that will be optimized for the G-5 specifically that may be available in a year or so. AND regardless of the task at hand- if given the choice wouldn’t you rather do it on a G-5 than a 7500? Even with a 225 mgz CPU and 227 RAM it takes some time to turn some of those larger files. I was mainly concerned that installing PS 3.xx or PM 6.0 might cause conflicts and problems in the OS 10.3.4 and I appreciate your input and advice.

Thank you,
J.
B
Buko
Jun 26, 2004
Installing Pagemaker is a PITA and does not work usually, the new PM7.02 will install in OSX Classic. If you have use for the CS software I would not put off buying now.

I tried using Photoshop and PM in Classic I could not work succesfully in a working enviroment. I wish you the best of luck.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 26, 2004
They can run in Classic.

But delete the MP Support plugin from the 3.0 plugins folder.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections