J
Posted By
J..B.
Dec 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop Elements 2.0, WIndow 2000 Pro, 1.2GB RAM (yes), tons of disk space.

We have to convert all our many finished TIFF images to JPG files and I’d like to use the Batch feature of Elements. But we can’t get it to allow us to choose the quality of the JPG (we need it to be quite high). It always uses a fairly low JPG quality setting.

I’ve tried saving a single image as a jpg, hoping that the batch processing feature would then use the quality of the last JPG save, but no dice. I don’t see anywhere to set the saved jpg quality globally either.

Help!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 9, 2003

J.B.,

In the Batch Processing dialog, under Conversion Options, the "Convert file type" drop-down allows you to select Low, Medium, High and Max quality JPEG.

I fear that there are not other quality settings available. If I am wrong, I do not doubt that someone will post a correction.

HTH,

Byron
JD
Juergen_D
Dec 9, 2003
You should have four quality choices for jpg: low, medium, high and max. Don’t you get a good quality going with max?

Juergen
JD
Juergen_D
Dec 9, 2003
Byron,

I didn’t see yours before I posted.

Juergen
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 9, 2003
Jeurgen,

I’m tickled to see that we gave almost verbatim responses! GMTA.

Byron
J
J..B.
Dec 9, 2003
That would be delightful, but unfortunately my version of Elements does not give me these options, only a list of file types:

I got it with an Epson scanner in 2001, and there is no indication of the version in the "help / About" window. I guess I’d have to upgrade, but will probably just go to the full PhotoShop.

If I do that, woudl I also have the capability of recording scripts (macros) for our common processes? Can these be done in batch mode also?

Thanks for your help.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 9, 2003
hmmm, now I’m wondering how you got this posted on the thread.
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 9, 2003

J.B.,

I am beginning to wonder if you have PSE 2.0, after all… because when I click Help-About, I get the same sunflower splash screen that is displayed when the app starts up, and printed right across it is "Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0", and in the lower left corner of the spash screen it says "Version 2.0".

I suspect that you have PSE 1… either that, or this is the first example of a difference between the retail version and the version bundled with hardware.

Can someone else with PSE1 verify whether the batch processing allows the 4 different levels of JPEG quality?

Byron
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 9, 2003
Byron,
He definitely has PSE 1. The feature of having mulitple JPEG options in Batch was added in 2.0. Rich
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 9, 2003
Hmmmm, looking at the graphic above (note: how did that get here?) I don’t see a source folder listed following the "source" button. As soon as I select a source folder then I see the quality levels in the convesion options list.

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 9, 2003
that’s Pe1..no options for jpeg compression from what i can see. Sorry I didn’t look sooner but I never use the batch option for anything. Perhaps he would be a good candidate for the upgrade which is extremely cheap these days. Then again, Richard Coencas may pop in here and find a work around for you.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 9, 2003
If you want to use Batch in E1, there are no work arounds. The only other option would be to Save each file individually. Or upgrade, as Jodi suggests.

Posting an image is just an HTML tag pointing to somewhere else where the image is stored. For example
img src="http://www.example.com/mypicture.jpg" with the bolded stuff between brackets <>.

Like this…

Rich
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 9, 2003
Using Outlook Express, I didn’t know that there was an image somewhere in the thread – which is my excuse if something I said sounds wacky in light of the image. (I’m too lazy to hunt it down via the web access just to see what it is…)

:~)
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 9, 2003
he posted what his batch screen looked like.

I don’t know why I was thinking ‘hum’ ’cause after Rich explained it I was thinking ‘ crap,…i know that ‘…anyways….that’s me..the flake….not frosted 😉
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 10, 2003
Gee, I hope Rich hasn’t taught any tricks that will create a monster! 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 10, 2003
na…..not dear sweet Richard 😉
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 10, 2003
You might try Irfanview, a freeware viewer which contains a powerful batch conversion utility. <http://www.irfanview.com/> .

🙂

Brent
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 10, 2003
Bwahahahah

Rich
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 10, 2003
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 10, 2003
Hmmmmm,

Was that a cry of anquish or a dastardly villainous laugh?

Dick
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 10, 2003
Dick,

Villianous laugh in response to Beth wondering if I had created a monster by telling you guys how to post graphics to the forum.

Rich
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Alas, we newsreader types don’t get to see any graphics…

🙁
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
That’s your personal choice, Chuck! Didn’t your mommy tell you sometimes you just can’t have it all?! 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections