CG
Posted By
Craig_Goedecke
Dec 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like for someone to assist me asap with a problem of embedding my captions into my images that I email to my editor(Newspaper) Is there a an easier way of doing this without having him to put the captions in..sounds confusing.Could you respond to me as soon as possible.Thank you
Craig Goedecke

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 8, 2003
Is there a specific format you have to use? When I think of "embedding captions", what comes to mind is having the caption directly below the image, which will then print out. Is that what you want to do? If so, increase the size of the image canvas by a half to three quarters of an inch, or whatever you feel you’ll need through Image>Resize>Canvas Size, set the anchor option to top center (there are 9 choices), and then type the caption in the space below the image.

If this isn’t what you want to do, could you please give us an example?
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 8, 2003
Craig

Do this >File >File Info

Then type in your caption in the spot called Caption this creates a meta file and you editor should be able to read this and it will not appear on the image.

Grant
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 8, 2003
Hi Grant,

Well I never knew that …. what is it all about and just what does it do?

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 9, 2003
well that is cool but what format are we saving in for him to use this ?
JD
Juergen_D
Dec 9, 2003
Jodi,

It works fine in JPG. Just be sure to use >save as…, not >save for web.

Juergen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 9, 2003
well, this is what i was wondering. I wasn’t sure if a publisher would be so interested in Jpeg format. Would this work in any non lossy format ? Just curious.
JD
Juergen_D
Dec 9, 2003
Jodi,

It will save in psd and tiff. You can read it in >file info. I tried IrfanView, it does not see it.

Juergen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 9, 2003
Thanks Juergen, I’m really glad I have this info…just in case 😉
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 9, 2003
Sorry should have replied to this one and well mind went to mush

There are two forms of information stored as meta files in images that are supported by Elements.

IPTC (International Press Telecommunication Council) This is intended as a sort of reporters note pad.

EXIF (Exchangeable image file format) This is the photographers information related to all the stuff related to the camera that took the image.

Grant
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Dec 9, 2003
Where can one access the EXIF data that is recorded? I notice in pbase that on some of the picture files there is an option to view EXIF,in others there is not. In Elements (I have v.1) on the left side of the task bar, when I left click I see recorded width, height, channel, and resolution only. I don’t see shutter speed, f-stop, white balance, etc.
Ken
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 9, 2003
Ken,

In PE2 I can see EXIF by:

File -> File Info

….then, at the top of the File Info display, change General to EXIF.

Also, using PE2 File Browser, the EXIF data is visible in the lower-left pane.

I don’t know if PE1 works the same way, though.

Byron
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Dec 9, 2003
Byron,
Thanks. I found it there. However, it does not list f-stop, shutter speed,or white balance. It does list camera make & model, resolution, EXIF software, date-time, and Exif/YCbCr positioning (whatever that means.) Until now I did’t even know about this information access.
Ken
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 9, 2003
The file browser also shows Exif in the lower left pane. Remember Exif is a constantly evolving standard and there is a chance that a new camera may have some Exif data that Elements does not read.

Rich
JY
Jerome_Yocis
Dec 10, 2003
The EXIF data is created by the digicam automatically and the IPTC must be created. I have used Irfanview viewer, must load additional plug-in (available from the website – <http://www.irfanview.com)>.
You can view/edit either metadata if the plug-ins are installed (just download and drop the EXIF.dll and IPTC.dll into the Irfanview plug-in folder) Once installed the Image / Info screen displays EXIF IPTC button.

Another app I’m looking at is Pixvue at pixvue.com Freeware, try it out. Its ability to edit metadata was fine but I wasn’t sure I liked the way it created folders/thumbnails, just try it.

A Google search on "IPTC editor" resulted in a number of leads.

I’m really interested in the scripting function(s), never tried before. I want to pull the metadata out of the file and put into an existing database.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections