JH
Posted By
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry this took me so long Ken. I’ve been very busy! Oh well here goes my take on the Kodak DX6490 < http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/19/13 1/1336&pq-locale=en_US>.

What’s in the box: Easy Share Dock, AC cord, USB cord, TV/video cord, Lens cap, Neck Strap, Battery.

The main two reason’s I wanted a new camera were: I wanted to be able to take decent macro shots, I was getting tired of the slow processing of images on my old DC290. So far this camera hasn’t disappointed me. The controls are pretty self explanatory and easy to use. The only thing I had to open the manual for was the jog dial. This control is located just beneath the shutter button on the front of the camera grip. It’s used for changing settings in PASM mode(s). If you just leave the camera on auto you probably won’t ever use it, although you can set exposure settings with the dial even while in auto.

The zoom is awesome: 10x optical baby! The control is variable speed so that you can go slow or fast depending on the situation. When you get to the top limit the zoom stops until you let off and then press the zoom lever more. Now you’re in digital zoom. With 10x optical it’s unlikely you’ll ever need the digital and besides, who uses it anyway.

The LCD is undoubtedly the brightest I’ve seen as well as probably the biggest. Kodak claims it’s bright even in direct sunlight. I I’m not sure I’d go that far but I will say that it’s very usable in direct sunlight. Way better than any other camera I’ve used.

I’m not quite sure what I think about the Electronic View Finder (EVF). I’m used to my other Kodak’s regular glass view finder. Basically the EVF is a really small LCD built into the view finder. So, when you look into the view finder you’re seeing an electronic representation of what the camera sees, not the real thing. The good thing about the EVF is that it’s what-you-see-is-what-you-get and eliminates parallax. On my old DC290, it was very easy to cut off parts of subjects’ heads. The optical glass view finder on that one definitely wasn’t WYSIWYG.

One gripe I have about the EVF is actually more of a gripe about the Kodak software. With my DC290 when you took a picture you could set the camera to give you a quick look at the shot on the LCD. With this camera if you have the camera set to use the EVF for taking pictures, the QuickView shows the shot in the view finder. So after you shoot the shot you have to keep your eye plastered to the EVF in order to see the image. To get the quick review to show up on the LCD you have to be using the LCD as your view finder. Well we all know how much juice it takes to run an LCD for extended periods of time. You don’t want to be doing this forever. There should be an option to set the quick review to the LCD even though you’re using the view finder to compose shots, but there doesn’t seem to be one.

Speaking of battery power, having just said what I did about using the LCD as a view finder, I have yet to run the Kodak proprietary li-Ion battery down very far and for the most part, I’ve been using the LCD as my view finder. I’ve been playing with the Macro settings and PASM modes and it would be a real pain to use the EVF for this. Anyway, battery life seems very good. I’ll have to really test it one of these days.

One of the things I like best about Kodak cameras is the onboard software. In my opinion Kodak has the easiest to use and navigate onboard software out there. There are basically two levels of options. The first <http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/dx6490/firstlevel.jpg> is used for basic settings that you need to have quick access to such as Picture Quality, Color Mode, Albums, etc. The second, which is accessed from the last option on the first level menu, is for other settings that probably won’t need to be changed or utilized very often after the camera’s initial set up. These include Default print quantity (for use with printer dock), QuickVi

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 6, 2003
Part 2:

One of the things I like best about Kodak cameras is the onboard software. In my opinion Kodak has the easiest to use and navigate onboard software out there. There are basically two levels of options. The first <http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/dx6490/firstlevel.jpg> is used for basic settings that you need to have quick access to such as Picture Quality, Color Mode, Albums, etc. The second, which is accessed from the last option on the first level menu, is for other settings that probably won’t need to be changed or utilized very often after the camera’s initial set up. These include Default print quantity (for use with printer dock), QuickView on/off, digital zoom settings, shutter sound on/off, date, language, etc.

When you go to PASM mode, the menus change slightly. On the first level (screenshot1 < http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/dx6490/firstlevelPASM.jp g>,screenshot2 < http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/dx6490/firstlevelPASM2.j pg>), options to change the ISO, white balance, exposure metering, focus zone and sharpness are added. This is nice because all these important settings are accessible on the first level.

On the body of the camera, there is a button to select different shooting modes: Macro and Landscape. On the back of the camera, the Mode dial allows you to set other shooting modes: Auto, PASM, Sport, Portrait, Night, and Video. I’m not sure why Macro and Landscape weren’t just included on the Mode dial. As is standard on most camera’s there is also a button to control the flash mode (Auto, no flash, fill flash and red eye) as well as a button to set a self timer and to put the camera in Burst mode.

As I said before, one of the main reasons I bought a new camera was because I was so sick of only being able to take a max of 3 photos with my DC290 and then having to wait one to two minutes while the images were processed. The DX6490 has no such problem. I’ve tried to get it to seize up by rapid firing shots but haven’t been able to do so. Even if the camera does show on the LCD that it’s processing you can still take pictures. So in this respect, I’m very happy.

So what about image quality? Well, one of the things I really liked about my DC290 was the color and quality of my images, so I wasn’t expecting a whole lot of difference with the new camera. As it turns out I was just about right on. The image quality is excellent (to my untrained eye anyway), containing vibrant, vivid color. The images are very sharp as well. The increase in resolution from 2.1mp on the DC290 to 4mp on the DX6490, no doubt, is the reason. Here are a couple samples with comparisons shots to my old DC290. Sorry but it’s cold, gray winter in Minnesota so I couldn’t take any nice outside shots (not to mention that I’m a crappy photographer). picture1 <http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/dx6490/color.jpg> picture2 <http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/dx6490/xmas.jpg> picture3 <http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/dx6490/outside.jpg> I had both camera’s on auto for these shots.

The other main reason I wanted a new camera was so that I could take decent macro shots. The DC290 just couldn’t cut it in this regard. The DX6490 however, does a great job. I’ve taken some very nice macro shots just using the Macro setting in auto mode. But you don’t have to stop there. Rotate the mode dial to PASM and you have all sorts of settings to choose from to tweak your shots. PASM, BTW, stands for Program Mode (P), Aperture Priority Mode (A), Shutter Priority Mode (S) and Manual Mode (M). With Program Mode, you set the exposure compensation (how much light enters the camera) and the camera sets the Aperture and Shutter. In Aperture Mode, you set the Aperture (Duh) and the exposure compensation and the camera sets the shutter speed. In Shutter Priority Mode, you set the shutter speed and the exposure compensation and the camera sets the aperture. Lastly, in Manual Mode, you set all three.

When I first bought a “real” camera, a Canon AE1 Program, back in 1984 I thought I’d be able to fool around with the manual settings and take nice pictures. Boy was I wrong and it turned out to be a pretty expensive learning experience what with all the film and developing costs. Consequently, I left the camera in Program mode 99% of the time. With the DX6490 I don’t have to worry about this. For one reason, the obvious reason, it’s a digital camera so I’m not wasting money on film and developing only to find out I’m a crappy photographer. Another reason though, and this is the important one, is that the camera will tell you when your settings will result in less than stellar results. For instance, let’s say you’re in Shutter Priority Mode and you have the shutter speed set to 1/4 and the exposure compensation set to 0.0. Now I don’t pretend to know what all this means but my camera does and it tells me that my shutter speed is set incorrectly buy showing the 1/4 in red < http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/dx6490/redshutterspeed.j pg>. So, I just adjust the jog dial until the shutter speed shows up in yellow (1/8 or .07”) and viola, I’m ready to shoot. Incidentally, while I’m playing with these settings the camera is changing the aperture setting automatically.

The only thing you can’t manually control is focus. For me this isn’t a big deal and I feel the auto focus does a good job, but if you want to control focus get a different camera. You can set the Focus Zone (in PASM) to either Multi Zone or Center Zone. In Multi Zone the camera evaluates three zones to give the picture even focus. In Center Zone, the camera evaluates just the center area.

One thing I’m very disappointed about is Kodak’s EasyShare software. The currently available Mac version is 3.0 and won’t work with Panther. So I went over to Kodak’s web site and signed up to be a beta tester for the next version. This one works just fine with Panther but not with my camera. I can’t transfer pictures using EasyShare which isn’t a big deal to me but what is a big deal is that I can’t set up albums to be copied back to the camera. Albums are useful for tagging and organizing photos on your camera and I was really interested in trying this out. After sending my first beta report to Kodak, I was very disappointed to learn that my camera won’t support albums and that another intriguing EasyShare feature, Favorites, is only supported on upcoming, as-of-now unreleased cameras! What a bummer. I hadn’t planned on switching to EasyShare from OS X’s Image Capture and iPhoto, but I did really want to utilize the album feature. The strange thing about this is that the DX6490 was just released in October and is the top of Kodak’s consumer line of EasyShare cameras. Kodak! How about a firmware update please?

The other big disappointment doesn’t have anything to do with the camera itself, but with Kodak’s plan for accessories for the camera. According to Kodak’s website, they have no plans to produce or market any additional lens’s or filters as they have done with other cameras. Hopefully they’ll change their minds on this (provide feedback please), or some third party manufacturer will step up to the plate. As of right now, though, if you’re looking for a camera that you can attach all sorts of goodies to, look elsewhere.

Overall I really like this camera. The button’s and controls are easy to manipulate and have a very nice, solid feel. The images (although you can’t tell from my shots here) are great: vivid, vibrant and sharp. I’m glad I bought this camera.

If you have any specific questions Ken, feel free to post them or email me directly.

Joe
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 6, 2003
Joe,

Nice write-up!!

With regard to your comment about running the LCD vs. EVF as it relates to power consumption – the manual for my Sony F717 states that there is no battery conservation advantage in using the EVF.

My instinct told me that, the EVF being "little", it would eat less — and I guess that was a popular notion, given that Sony had to put a blurb contradicting it in the manual.

I wonder if that’s also the case with your Kodak, or if you really gain battery time favoring the EVF.

FWIW.

Byron
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 6, 2003
Byron,

With regard to your comment about running the LCD vs. EVF as it relates to power consumption – the manual for my Sony F717 states that there is no
battery conservation advantage in using the EVF.

Actually, when I wrote that I was thinking in comparison to my old DC290’s glass view finder. It never occurded to me that the ELF was using power too! Man I’m loosing it…

I haven’t seen anything in my manual regarding the difference in power consumption between using the EVF or the LCD. I gotta believe that the huge LCD uses more power, but what the heck do I know? I’ll have to fire off an email to Kodak.

Joe
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 6, 2003
Joe, great write up ! I’m thinking you’ll love it…the color will have you.

btw, on all 3 of my digitals ( one is DV ) the use of LCD sucks juice. But hey, that’s why we buy more rechargables…right ??? They’re cheap enough.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 6, 2003
Well after re reading my manual, I can’t find anything that tells me I should use the EVF instead of the LCD for conserving battery life. There is even a section in the manual about extending battery life and it only mentions limiting the use of the flash and QuickView. I’m going to go on the assumption then that the LCD uses no more power than the EVF.

Jodi,

Unfortunately the camera uses a proprietary Kodak li-ion squarish looking battery. I did buy an extra but it wasn’t cheap: $26 from B & H. Now I just gotta figure out a use for the three sets of rechargable double A’s I have for my old camera.

Joe
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Dec 6, 2003
Joe,
Just got up, had breakfast, saw your comprehensive review of this camera. Thank you so much. Hope that you enjoy it. I would think that the use of a card reader would circumvent the need to use Kodak’s software. You could download from the card directly to a folder on your hard drive and use the program of your choice. Also, that way you don’t drain the battery for downloading.
Again, thanks for your constructive input.
Have to go out and get my snow blower out while we have an interlude before the next precipitation later today.
Ken
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 6, 2003
While there isn’t anything written about it, My Fuji 6900 will last at least 30% longer using the evf.

Dick
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 7, 2003
Ken,

I would think that the use of a card reader would circumvent the need to use Kodak’s software. You could down load from the card directly to a folder on your hard drive and use the program of your choice.

That certainly would work and I even got a free card reader with the 256mb SD card I bought with the camera. As it is now, I use Image Capture and iPhoto with the dock and really had no intention of using the Kodak software for transferring or cataloging photo’s (BTW if the camera is in the dock the battery is charging while you down load pictures). I do want to set up albums on my camera and the only way to do that is through the EasyShare program. I mention the transferring problem for other Panther users who might not use Image Capture or iPhoto.

Dick,

How did you measure that? I’d like to somehow test that on my camera, just for curiosity sake.

Joe
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 7, 2003
Joe,

Purely on observation over the last couple of years. I have found that the biggest hog on power is the built in flash. Usually use an outboard flash and that helps to.

It’s hard for me to really measure it in practice since I don’t like the LCD panels. I much prefer the viewfinder even if it is an EVF.

Looking forward to getting a digital slr.

Dick
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 9, 2003
Ken,

FYI, MacWorld just gave the DX6490 4 out of 5 mice.

Joe
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 9, 2003
Joe, I have a few mice scampering around in my attic. You think I could send them to MacWorld??

🙂
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 9, 2003
Sure Chuck, but you have to subscribe. And then to get the most out of your subscription, you’d have to get a Mac. Better leave well enough alone.

😉

Joe
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 9, 2003
I noticed a big difference in battery life with my old Nikon CP 950 if I left the LCD monitor off. I just got in the habit of not using it except when I REALLY needed to be sure I got the shot I wanted. Usually, the sun was to bright to tell anyway, if I was outside.
Dick is right that the flash is the big batter-eater, though. With my Oly E-20, I have a battery pack that attaches to bottom of the camera…uses a Lithium Polymer battery which has a huge capacity. It is fairly heavy, and adds bulk to the camera, though, so I only use it when I’m not carrying the camera around for long periods.
Bert
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 20, 2003
Sorry to dig this one up again, but for those who might be interested, I figured out why the Kodak EasyShare software wouldn’t work for me. The software has a conflict with my Epson Perfection Photo 1650 scanner. If the scanner is plugged into any USB port the EasyShare software can’t communicate with the camera. FYI.

Joe

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections