Posted By
Philippe_Variol
Dec 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everybody,

I recently move my license of Photoshop Elements 2 to my new PC under windows XP pro (Dell Dimension 4600 P4 3.0 GH + 512 Mo DDRAM + Video card GeForce4 MX420).
I move also my pictures, taken with a Canon Powershot G3. I was very surprised to discover that the image appeared very clear and low contrasted in Photoshop elements, when they seamed well-balanced under Paint shop pro 7 or using the image viewer of Windows.

The problem appeared to be related to the image format, because the samples images found in Windows XP are correctly displayed (comparable between Photoshop elements and PSP).

Another confusing point is that when using the integrated browser to point a directory, the reduced images appeared correctly balanced. But if i select an image, it changes immediately to this bad display.

I tried :
– Calibrating my screen with the adobe utility software
– Moving the display from 32 to 16 bits
– Changing the screen resolution
– several settings in the video card driver
– Installing/reinstalling Photoshop elements
– loading one of my images in Photoshop, saving it in another directory – Modify the color profiles to "Complete color management" and chose several ICC profiles.

But without success.

Is somebody observed the same problem ?
What can I do to solve this problem ?

Thanking you by advance,

Philippe
———-
I apologize for the bad english. I have a french version, so some specific words could be wrong !!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NS
Nancy_S
Dec 5, 2003
Philippe,

I would set the display color back to 32 bit, 16 bit isn’t enough. Look at the display properties and make sure the monitor is using the correct profile. Did you make your profile using the gamma of your monitor?

I would also try setting the video card driver back to default. See what happens when you set; Edit>Color Management and choose No Color Management. Images should display the same in PSE as Explorer. You might need to redo your monitor profile. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get it right.

Nancy
PV
Philippe_Variol
Dec 6, 2003
Nancy,

Thank you for your answer.

However,
I moved back to 32 bits.
The video cards settings back to default.
I moved back also to Edit/color management/No color Management

But I got the same problem.

That’s uncredible !
I cant use PSE with my new computer ?????
Help !

Philippe
PV
Philippe_Variol
Dec 6, 2003
Last minute !!
The problem was due to the screen driver !!
I have change the driver to "Standard Plug and Play" and it works, now !

Thanks for your help !

Philippe
R
RobertHJones
Dec 6, 2003
Philippe,

First, load one of the bad pictures and select the File->File Info menu item. When the dialog box comes up, select the EXIF option in the dropdown list next to "section:". Now look at the entries and see if there is one that says something like "EXIF Tag" or "EXIF color space". If there is such an entry, it may be incorrect and may be what’s causing the problem.

If so, Run, don’t walk, to
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=4 0&platform=Windows and download the ignoreEXIF color space utilities.

PSE 2.0 trys to honor EXIF color space tags even if color management is off — unless you
turn off that feature with the ignoreEXIF utility.

I’m not familiar with PSP7 so I don’t know whether it supports color management or not but it may preserve the image’s EXIF info in saved files regardless and that may be the problem. It’s a known problem that some digital devices embed an incorrect tag.

Let us know if that works for you.

Bob
R
RobertHJones
Dec 6, 2003
That’s great, Philippe! Glad you got it solved!

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections