PS7: Windows Explorer quits unexpectedly when rendering thumbnails of PSD files?

S
Posted By
ScottyBaby
Jan 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been having trouble with all Windows Explorer windows (including the desktop/taskbar) quitting suddenly on Windows XP (Home & Pro) when browsing folders with PSD files in them – view mode set to "Thumbnails".

I wasn’t certain that it was Photoshop or PSD files at first, but having set up PS on a different machine, I’m seeing the problem for the first time there too.

Has anyone seen this problem? I kind of suspect that Adobe’s thumbnail renderer may be blowing up and taking Windows Explorer down with it…

Thanks in advance for any help

-Scott

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
Stuart
Jan 13, 2004
ScottyBaby wrote:

I’ve been having trouble with all Windows Explorer windows (including the desktop/taskbar) quitting suddenly on Windows XP (Home & Pro) when browsing folders with PSD files in them – view mode set to "Thumbnails".
I wasn’t certain that it was Photoshop or PSD files at first, but having set up PS on a different machine, I’m seeing the problem for the first time there too.

Has anyone seen this problem? I kind of suspect that Adobe’s thumbnail renderer may be blowing up and taking Windows Explorer down with it…

-Scott

I have the same problem with illustrator thumbnails, usually happens when I am scrolling through them too fast. It is also possible it could be one or a few of the files causing it. Does it happen when with the same set of files or with different ones, best thing to do is to try and remember from previous crashes and now on what you were doing when it crashed and where you were.

It happened to me a few times with the same folder, sometimes when viewing it and others times when scrolling through. It is possible it could also be a windows bug.

Stuart
FA
Fred Athearn
Jan 20, 2004
You should be sure you are upgraded to 7.01they fixed some browser problems in that upgrade.

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:28:50 +0000, Stuart wrote:

ScottyBaby wrote:

-Scott

I have the same problem with illustrator thumbnails, usually happens when I am scrolling through them too fast. It is also possible it could be one or a few of the files causing it. Does it happen when with the same set of files or with different ones, best thing to do is to try and remember from previous crashes and now on what you were doing when it crashed and where you were.

It happened to me a few times with the same folder, sometimes when viewing it and others times when scrolling through. It is possible it could also be a windows bug.

Stuart

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections