SB
Posted By
Suzanne_Brandeau
Jun 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have scanned old color and B&W negatives in 16-bit color at 300 or 3200 resolutions and saved them as TIF or PSD. I am using OS 10.3.4 on a 500 MHz G4 dual processor with 1GB SDRAM.

Wanting to email a few, I chose Save As. The drop-down menu does not offer JPEG or GIF, but rather RAW and a few others about which I know nothing—not the more familiar long list of choices.

I then tried Elements. It opened them as 8-bit images. I was then able to save them as JPEGS using Save As.

Am I to conclude that Photoshop CE cannot save a 16-bit TIF or PSD image as a JPEG using the short-cut Save As method?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 22, 2004
JPEG only supports 8 bits/channel, and GIF is only 8 bits/channel indexed color — so neither format is available for 16 bit/channel images.

Your conclusion is incorrect.
R
Ram
Jun 22, 2004
Suzanne,

Chris Cox is right, of course. I’m very curious, though: what is Photoshop "CE"? A "Central" European version?
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 22, 2004
Yes, CE is the Central European version sold by WinSoft.

Of course, it’s also a common typo for CS
😉
R
Ram
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks, Chris.

Now I’m curious as to what Adobe considers Central Europe. Traditionally, Europeans will understand that to be Germany.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 23, 2004
Ramon – former Soviet block countries.
R
Ram
Jun 23, 2004
Chris,

That’s Eastern Europe to any European.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections