KN
Posted By
Ken_Nielsen
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When creating the action, Save As JPEG, upon saving, the file is saved to a specified folder location to complete the action. This folder location is also saved with the action. Because of this, if I want to use that action to save to other folders later on, the action still wants to save to the original recorded folder location. . This happens even if I choose ‘save to folder’ and choose another folder; the save defaults to the original folder location originally saved with the action. What I would like, is an action that saves to jpeg but does not include a specific folder location.

Is there a work-around to this, or do I need to make a new save as jpeg action for each folder location?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
jonf
Jun 17, 2004
Did you try selecting the option "Override Action Save As Commands" when you batch the files? If you’re not batching or overwriting your original, I probably wouldn’t include Save in the Action, anyway.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jun 17, 2004
Override Action Save As Command give me an error message and has never worked. The reason I am creating an action to save as jpeg is to convert files that are tif to new files that are jpeg in another folder. I can make it work if I write the action to save to the folder I want, but then that action is useless for another time when I want to save to another folder.

Thanks,

Ken
8thNote
Jun 18, 2004
Override Action Save As Commands should work. That’s the only way to fix what you need.

Try creating a droplet using that action and check "Override Action Save As Commands."
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jun 18, 2004
8thNote, good thinking.

After reading the help files below, I’m thinking that there is no way to save a jpeg to a different location, other than if you record a new ‘save to jpeg’ action with the ‘save’ to the new location you want. But I am still going to try your create droplet idea, because the proof is actually in the pudding.

Here are the difinitive instructions from the Photoshop CS help files:

"Note: If you selected the Save and Close option, you can select the "Override Action "Save As" Commands option." This option causes the droplet to override any action Save As commands and saves the file back to its original filename in its original folder.
Select Folder to save the process files to another location. Select Override Action "Save As" Commands if you want the Save As instructions from the droplet instead of the Save As instructions in the action. If you select this option, the action must contain a a Save As command, because the droplet will not automatically save the source files. This is useful for saving documents with options not available in the droplet (such as JPEG compression or TIFF options).

Note: No matter how you’ve recorded your action’s Save As steps (with or without filename specifications), if this option is selected, the file is saved to the folder and the filename in the droplet.

Deselect Override Action "Save As" Commands will save the files processed by the droplet in the location specified as the destination in the Create Droplet dialog box.

Note: You can record an action that saves with a specified filename and folder. If you’ve done this, and have Override Action "Save As" Commands off, the same file will be overwritten each time. If you’ve recorded your Save As step in the action without specifying a filename, the droplet will save it to the same folder each time but will use the filename of the document being saved."
8thNote
Jun 18, 2004
You can record an action that saves with a specified filename and folder. If you’ve done this, and have Override Action "Save As" Commands off, the same file will be overwritten each time. If you’ve recorded your Save As step in the action without specifying a filename, the droplet will save it to the same folder each time but will use the filename of the document being saved.

Sadly, that can easily happen unintentionally in Windows and it never work the intended way. I’ve been working with Adobe to find out what program causes that.

Ken, I’m thinking the droplet won’t work either. The batch command should work. If not, then you may need to just reinstall Photoshop.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jun 18, 2004
The batch command has never worked in this regard (has always given the ‘error’ message) since version 5.5, or whenever automate came into being. No reinstall for that reason. Thanks for helping me think it through. I am happy to make a new action for each project – it’s a simple process. I have always felt though, as you have stated, that the override ‘Save As Off’ should have taken care of the matter. I’ll post the exact error message I get – maybe that will help point to a possible solution.

OK, here it is, not an error message really, more of an announcement of limitation as I see it:

Checking ‘Override action ‘save as’ command:’

"When this option is on, files will be saved to the destination folder only by "Save As" steps in the action. If there are no "Save As" steps, no files will be saved."

This fits with the help files descriptions above.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Jun 20, 2004
The documentation and prompts on this feature are hopelessly misleading.

When you run a batch with "Override Action "Save As" Commands" checked, the batch uses the file format and file format options recorded in the action, but saves to the destination folder specified in the Batch dialog, using the file names specified in the Batch dialog. (Or, if you don’t specify file names in the Batch dialog, the original file names.

So, record the action with a Save As step that specifies the JPEG settings you want (I usually record it to save "Foo.jpg" to the desktop so that I can easily toss the file afterward.)

Then Choose Batch, load the action you just recorded, specify the destination folder, make sure that "Override Action "Save As" Commands" is checked, and optionally, enter any batch renaming you want done. Ignore the stupid message—what it means is that if the action doesn’t have Save As steps recorded, the batch won’t save any files. It DOES NOT mean that all the files will get saved to the destination specified in the action with the name specified in the action.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jun 21, 2004
And, It works! (You knew it would.) I guess it was a stopping point for me at the warning message that no files would be saved, so I would always uncheck that feature, and subsequently, all my files would be saved to the folder in the action. I will go back to my feature request and modify my wish to simply have the warning box re-worded, or, not appear at all.

Thank You,

Ken

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections