JC
Posted By
Jason_Covert
Jun 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using Photoshop 6 on 9.2.2 and working with a large TIFF file (1.86GB) when I tried to save, Photoshop told me there was simply "a program error" and it couldn’t complete the operation.

Now I can’t open the original file. When I try it freezes the system and Photoshop.

I can see the TIFF preview from within Quark Express when I place the image in a document, but I cannot open using Quicktime (incompatible file format), or IE 5.2.1 (shows fractured QT icon.)

Any suggestions as to how I can recover ANY of this file?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 14, 2004
PLaing it in Illustrator may work,

You can also try a utility such as Graphic Converter or Irfanview (on the PC) to try an open the file and resave it in a different format.

BTW, were you saving through a network? That’s a definite no-no.
R
Ram
Jun 14, 2004
Jason,

Perhaps you’ve hit the file size limit in Photoshop.

I don’t know about version 6, because I skipped that one, but in Photoshop 7.0.1 the file size is 2GB and you cannot exceed 30,000 pixels in any one direction (height or width).
B
Buko
Jun 15, 2004
PS 6 had the same limitation.

PS8 will open a 4 gig tiff.
R
Ram
Jun 15, 2004
In 8 (CS) 300,000 pixels are the max in any one direction. That means that in Photoshop 8, an 16 bit RGB image can be 502.9 Gig (thatΒ’s 502.9 GIGABYTES not MB) without layers. Hope you have a ton of storage space and a ton of RAM.

What you do with a huge file like that is a different matter. The OS limitations mean you can only print images up to 30,000 pixels long in any one direction from within Photoshop.

I believe Chris Cox mentioned it took as long as whole afternoon to save one of those monster files on a G5. πŸ™‚
RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 15, 2004
I believe Chris Cox mentioned it took as long as whole afternoon to save one of those monster files on a G5. πŸ™‚

Well at this point, drive speed is more important than processor speed…
R
Ram
Jun 15, 2004
And drive space. πŸ™‚ Not everyone is in a position to save a file that is over half a Terabyte in size! πŸ˜€

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections