Posted By
Tel
Dec 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi one and all,

I’m looking for a filter to reproduce the effect of Monet, the artist. Just love the style and I have some pictures which I’m sure would turn out great with it.
Alternatively does anyone have any ideas as to how to go about it manually?

Tel.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

I
imacgirl
Dec 3, 2003
Tel,

Try this: Filter>Artistic>Palette Knife and play around with the settings.

Barb
T
Tel
Dec 4, 2003
Thanks, Barb, I’ll have a go (again).
Previous efforts were only with one layer but with several I can maybe produce something really horrible 🙂

Question 2. How to reproduce the pointillistic style?

Tel.
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 4, 2003
Tel are you on a pc or mac? I don’t know about mac but if you are on a pc I know of a filter that will produce an effect similar to Monet. It can be found here: <http://www.photoshop.msk.ru>. The filter I would use would be simplifier. It can be downloaded alone or as part of the Amphisoft set that is almost all freeware. Check out the toadies too. That whole set is freeware…another set of nice artsy filters. If you can’t use this filter, I would go over my picture with wet media brush then apply my palette knife filter. In fact, I used this technique on a piece of my own made from scratch that turned out pretty close to Monet’s style using the wet media brushes before applying my Simplifier filter. Have fun.

Terri
I
imacgirl
Dec 4, 2003
Tel,

Ah, come on now, it’ll look great! 😉

To pointallize use Filter>Pixelate>Pointallize. I usually keep the Cell Size on the low end or it’s really abstract. Also, you can add a Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Hue/ Saturation if you don’t like all the colors in the Pointallize Filter, slide the Saturation slider around, but this will affect the entire image. Remember to use opacities too, and have fun!

Barb
I
imacgirl
Dec 4, 2003
I just downloaded the plug-in Terri posted and it won’t run in Mac OS X, FWIW.

Barb
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 4, 2003
Sorry, that’s why I asked…I knew Barb was on a mac but was unsure about Tel. Still I would give it a go using wet media brushes and then experiment with different filters…maybe the paint daub one.

Terri
I
imacgirl
Dec 4, 2003
Terri,

No problem, I’m always willing to try some of these downloads to see if they are compatible. Yes, the Paint Daub Filter is a great idea too! The thing I did when I was new with Elements was to open a psd image file and go through all the various filters to get familiar with all the options, so much to choose from! 🙂

Barb

p.s. one of these days I’m going to use my real name and not my login name of imacgirl, but I guess it does identify what I run.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 4, 2003
I didn’t think Monet was a pointillist. If my memory servers me he used soft colours soft focus and broad strokes. I do have a set of filters called Virtual Painter http://www.jasc.com/products/vpainter/ a collection of good artistic effects. I just tried Doreen’s vases and ran it through Virtual Painter Pastel then Elements Pallet knife and I suspect it is now worth about 45 million dollars as a Monet knock off.

Grant
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Dec 5, 2003
George Seurat <http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/seurat> was the one who developed pointillism. 45 mil, Grant better get that insured! 😉

Barb
PA
Patti_Anderson
Dec 5, 2003
My favorite for impressionistic painting effects is Fantastic Machine’s Paint Engine (Photoshop compatible plug-in). I use it more than any other add-on I have downloaded for Elements. You can use the settings included or make your own combinations and save them. Repeated application gives even more effect. Very, very cool!

Oh yeah…it’s free, but they do appreciate donations.

<http://www.fantasticmachines.com/html/paint_engine.htm>

🙂 Patti
T
Tel
Dec 5, 2003
Don’t count on it Barb 🙂

Just upgraded to Elements 2 and voila there’s the pointillize. Was it on Elements 1 and I missed it?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone I shall try them out.

And Grant, I never said Monet was a pointilliser, just that I wanted the pointillise effect too. Ho – hum, pedantic…

Tel.
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Dec 5, 2003
Patti…I have Paint Engine and had never played with it. You are right…it works beautifully. Can’t remember what all adjustments I made, but loved the outcome and think would be rather easy to get the effect again. Thanks for pointing this out. Do

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections