Posted By
Rob_Winter
Jun 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi photoshop users!

I’ve recently upgraded myself to a lovely new G5 & thought the Adobe CS Suite would be a good idea to go with it… but I’ve found a major flaw in this new version of both photoshop and illustrator: I no longer have the option to hold the spacebar down to temporarily change my tool selection to the Hand tool??? Also, the Apple+Space shortcut for the magnifying tool has gone too??? Why have Adobe disabled what are in my opinion THE MOST indispensable keyboard shortcuts?

I feel powerless when zoomed in. Please someone shed some light on this weird happening!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 10, 2004
Please see the other threads relating to this topic Rob.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 10, 2004
I know I’ve seen the answer to this but I’m blamed if I can find it. Forum Search is useless as usual. I believe it’s something about the ayatem keyboard preferences but that’s it. Fortunately I don’t have the problem.

Maybe someone can be more specific?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 10, 2004
System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts:

At the bottom of the list, UNcheck Dock:
or double click and change shortcuts to what you want.
(I use Control D to hide/show the dock.)

And use Photoshop’s Edit menu/Keyboard Shortcuts to define others.
AE
Amin_Emami
Jun 11, 2004
Hi,

I had the same problem on my PS cs here…did the same as above (turning off dock shortcuts), some of the shortcuts like alt and ctrl i can use again, but the hand tool wich could be tempery selected like before…doesn’t still work for me with space bar….
any idea why?

thx in advance
P
Phosphor
Jun 11, 2004
I simply changed my Show/Hide Dock shortcut to Command + Control + D.

Thumb + Pinky + Forefinger. Natural hand positioning and no conflict with other apps.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 11, 2004
The spacebar-for-Hand-tool works here in CS on 10.3.4.
(I have a feeling that there was something else that you had to change in System/keyboard prefs. before 10.3.3 but I don’t remeber what that was.)

If it doesn’t work for you, try holding down Cmd. plus the Spacebar and then releasing the Cmd. key.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 11, 2004
There is a thread in the illustrator forum which suggests that a conflict between all CS programs and MS Entourage may be responsible for breaking the spacebar/zoom shortcut.
EB
Eric_Brightfield
Aug 5, 2004
Yes, I have been equally frustrated as a 15 year daily PhotoShop artist when I lost my spacebar hand tool. I thought I found the problem as a conflict with Wacom, but that was just because I got my hand tool back after I turned off Wacom and restarted my new G5. I noticed I kept losing the spacebar/hand tool intermittently and I finally proved that it is a conflict with MS Entourage that disables some of my Photoshop key commands. I have tried to turn off pref’s in Entourage to fix it but to no avail yet. At least I know what caused the problem.
R
Ram
Aug 5, 2004
Here’s a report on one way a user fixed it:

It turns out that one of my Entourage email accounts had asked for a password when I logged on. i entered the password and told entourage to remember it. Then I restarted entourage. after that, my shortcuts worked like they should.

I guess it’s some strange combination of entourage and osx locking the modifier keys when the password box is up? maybe?
R
Ram
Aug 6, 2004

[DELETED unintended double post]

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections