CF
Posted By
cherie_f
Jun 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For some reason, yesterday PS7 freaked out on me and now whenever I go to save something for the web, I am stuck in slice mode. This with existing graphics AND newly created graphics. I’ve tried everything…restarted my computer, trashed the prefs, etc. I don’t recall clicking anything odd that would have caused this to happen and I’m stumped. Also can’t do any work on client’s photos as I’m unable to save as I want.

Help please. I’m going bonkers trying to get this back to normal. lol

Just to clarify, I do NOT want slices, am NOT creating with slices, never even USE slices. I want nothing to do with slices…I just want my save for web back to the way it’s supposed to be.

Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Jun 9, 2004
I answered in the other thread trash the SFW prefs
CF
cherie_f
Jun 9, 2004
I’ve already done that, didn’t help. Still stuck in slice mode.
B
Buko
Jun 9, 2004
as mentioned in the other thread clear the slices

now save for web.

in the history palette take a step back
CF
cherie_f
Jun 9, 2004
None of that works.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 9, 2004
Which part doesn’t work? Can’t you clear slices? This is in Photoshop, before going into Save for Web.
CF
cherie_f
Jun 9, 2004
I’ve trashed the prefs, that didn’t work.

Trashed the save for web prefs, nope.

There are no slices to clear. Until I hit the save for web, I’ve not got any slices, so no, I can’t clear slices.

Stepping back in history also does not take care of this problem.

It’s not until I’ve actually gotten to the save-for-web screen that anything with slices appears.
B
Buko
Jun 9, 2004
It’s not until I’ve actually gotten to the save-for-web screen that anything with slices appears.

If the slices appear in SFW then you have slices.

Go to: View > Show > Slices

Although you can clear the slices without showing them.
CF
cherie_f
Jun 9, 2004
Ok, so showing slices gives me my one photo with the dotted line around the entire graphic. I still can’t clear it. Clear slices is grayed out.

This is on an object that before yesterday, never had slices. Why would a graphic magically sprout slices w/out any intervention whatsoever? There has got to be something that got tweaked in my prefs or somewhere else in the app that would make *everything* I open have slices when I go to save for web.
B
Buko
Jun 9, 2004
Who else was using your computer??
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 9, 2004
Is it just one slice that encompasses the whole document? What happens if you paste the image into a new document?
CF
cherie_f
Jun 9, 2004
Just myself using it. I closed it yesterday morning for an hour or so, opened it back up and this is happening now.

It’s just the one slice.

If I paste this into a new document OR start a new document, whatever, the same result. It’s like when going to save for web, it’s hitting there and triggering open slices or something. When I get to that screen, instead of the hand tool being chosen, the slice tool is.

This is on any document I open, any I start, any I paste, et al.
B
Buko
Jun 9, 2004
Then turn off show slices.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 9, 2004
Well I don’t know what is happening. It doesn’t do that here. But if it’s only one slice, what difference does it make? Just save as usual. Or am I missing something?

Did you quit out of Photoshop before trashing SFW prefs?
CF
cherie_f
Jun 9, 2004
LOL. I’ve already not shown slices, shown slices, etc.

What no one seems to understand is that on the document, whether it be new, old, existing, transferred, copied..whatever…there are NO slices until I hit SFW. So, showing slices, not showing slices, going back in history, clearing slices…if it has to do with slices, it doesn’t matter – because there are no slices! lol.

I have the unsliced document open, click on save for web and VOILA! I’ve now got a document that is a slice.

Is there no one here that knows how to make this stop? I’m not about ready to pay Adobe $39 for something that would appear to be a bug with their application.
CF
cherie_f
Jun 9, 2004
Yes, I did quit PS before trashing prefs 🙂

When I would SFW before yesterday, I had the option of gif, jpg, etc, etc, etc. I don’t have that now. All I have is save as images, html, or html and images.

I’d like my old normal settings back. The ability to choose from different formats for saving.
B
Buko
Jun 9, 2004
But if it’s only one slice, what difference does it make? Just save as usual. Or am I missing something?

I agree.

Did you quit out of Photoshop before trashing SFW prefs?

did you??
CF
cherie_f
Jun 9, 2004
I cannot save as usual. The way I normally save is GONE. replaced with saving as images,html, html and images.

Of course I quit the application before trashing the prefs. I’m not a computer neophyte.
CF
cherie_f
Jun 9, 2004
As this is going nowhere, I’m going to reinstall the software and see if that corrects the issue. Urgh, what a pain. Wastes time I don’t have :/

Thanks for trying to help.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 9, 2004
Before reinstalling, trash preferences one more time. Repair permissions, reinstall, repair permissions again.
B
Buko
Jun 9, 2004
Under SFW:

in the SFW screen dialog you hit save

and up pops the "Save Optimized As" dialog.

at the bottom choose

Format: "Images only"

Settings: Default

Slices: All (But this should be greyed out since it does not apply)
GB
g_ballard
Jun 9, 2004
Buko,

This hits on some confusion I’ve had that may go back to the "images only"

I made simple rollovers (no slices) in PS/IR, saved optimized as images/html

I dragged the html document into GL6, selected all, and pasted into my GL table

The little slice balloon comment icons pasted in with it

Being this is only rollovers, no slices, is it recommended to select the balloon comments icons and delete them???
CF
cherie_f
Jun 9, 2004
OK..let me reword this.

It appears that what I’m seeing is default behaviour. I’m not sure how or why, but for some reason, until yesterday, I was *not* seeing these options.

I’ve trashed my copy of PS and reinstalled it and I’m still seeing this (apparently) default setting.

Do you know how to change this so I can choose to save as gif, jpg, etc? Like I said, I’m not sure how I got that to show before…I wasn’t aware that I had changed anything.

I’ve now spent SO much time on this issue (over 14 hours) that I can’t even be sure of what I was seeing before. lol. I just know it wasn’t what I see now.

My head hurts! lol. :/
GB
g_ballard
Jun 9, 2004
are there two threads going here?

be sure you trash the right pref…
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/6712.htm>
B
Buko
Jun 9, 2004
Cherie it seems you want Save As

Save For Web saves a stripped down image with no meta data.

the choice of file type in SFW is in the top right corner of the SFW dialog box.
CF
cherie_f
Jun 9, 2004
Yes, I’m aware of the differences between SA and SFW. For these particular images, I need to save them for web – gives them a nice white blur around the object in the image. SA does not.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 9, 2004
In the SFW dialog there’s a dropdpown next to the word Presets. If it’s set to Original there will be no other options in the dropdown, but that’s where you choose your format.

Could that be the issue? Slices have nothing to do with which format you save as
CF
cherie_f
Jun 9, 2004
Hmm..I don ‘t have "presets." Where is this located?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 9, 2004
Oops, sorry. That’s in CS. But it’s similar in 7…

In 7 if you are on Original in the 2 up or 4 up or if Original is in the slot by Settings you won’t see formats for saving. Click onto the other boxes or hit the dropdown arrow to choose. Does that work?

Are you updated to 7.0.1 by the way?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections