PF
Posted By
Peter_Frailey
Dec 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am editing a photo that is a closeup of a fishing fly with a brass bead at the head. My basic set up is three lights and there is much reflection on the bead. WIthout going into what ideas others might have for lighting technique, is there a simple way to remove the glare on the image. (I have played around with the magic wand, defined the glare areas and changed the brightness….But this changes the white glare to a shade of grey which looks very unnatural on a brass colored bead. Are there some prefered ways?)

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jhjl1
Dec 2, 2003
If any part of the bead is without the reflection you might be able to use the clone tool to remove the reflection. I have had some success with this method on other objects.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 2, 2003
Nevertheless a note about lighting techniques of shiny objects. To keep it simple: shoot outdoors with a clouded sky. Nothing to it.

Leen
RR
Raymond Robillard
Dec 2, 2003
Leen,

A bouncing source of light, wouldn’t it do a nice job as well ? I’ve never actually tried it, so this is question, rather than a suggestion.

Ray
PF
Peter_Frailey
Dec 2, 2003
I have worked some fishing fly photos using my lights from the back of the object and reflecting it forward with white cards… The problem here is that the object is small and within 1" of the camera lenses. So, its a bit trickier.
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 2, 2003
Peter, according to your nice website you live in a wonderful area and I really envy you for your homemade wonderful flies. I wished I had some time to join you as it is about 40 years since I touched a fly rod.
Probably the easiest way to photograph a tiny and sometimes shiny object is, like I mentioned, outdoors with an overcast sky. Indoors the best way is using a light tent, made of white fabric or opaque white paper. If you light it from outside with flashlight or use it outdoors you won’t have any problem. Your subject will be very evenly lit.

Leen
PA
Patti_Anderson
Dec 3, 2003
Here’s an idea for a homemade lightbox. Perfect for taking pics of shiny objects or other small objects.

<http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box>

I’ve actually made it even less expensive. Instead of buying PVC pipe, I use a small table, an overturned chair…whatever fits the subject. All I had to buy were the lamps. I already had the white sheet. 🙂

Patti
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 3, 2003
Patti,

Neat site, great idea. That one went to the bookmark list immediately!

Dick

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections