RJ
Posted By
robert_jenkins
Dec 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just loaded PE2 on XP Pro and all seemed OK. However, when opening the programme and selecting anything after the first opening page, I get a repetitive error message: ‘There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk in Drive A’. Anyone experience similar or have a solution for this?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
jhjl1
Dec 1, 2003
There is a thread dated 11/29/03 started by Marty with a similar problem. I do not know if she has resolved it yet. You might check the replies to see if any are applicable.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James W. Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 1, 2003
A possibility is that you were browsing a floppy. Try deleting prefs. Also try closing the File Browser and relaunching.

Rich
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 2, 2003
RICHARD,
OK, how do I delete prefs? My latest attempt was to unplug a card reader. I haven’t tried yet to see if that did any good. If only I knew why the message keeps repeating and is very hard to get rid of.
For some reason I can get on PSE and work on a challenge for hours without any message. Marty (who doesn’t give up easily)
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 2, 2003
ROBERT,
I’m the Marty from the other thread so I’ll go back there where I belong but still keep in touch with you. Please let me know if you find a solution.
Marty
RJ
robert_jenkins
Dec 2, 2003
Rich,

You’re right!! Closing the file browser works but it seems to be locked or defaulted to browse in the A Drive. How can I change this selection? Otherwise, every time I browse for one of my files it will give this error message, which is very persistent and needs to be deleted 3 times before giving the opportunity to select any other option. Grateful for any further gen.

Marty,

I’ll let you know the outcome.

Robert.
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 3, 2003
Robert,

Did you check again after you shut the browswer off? Sometimes closing the program seeking the disk will eliminate that from happening again. Also, somewhere I remember reading that there is a cache issue with the browser–it remembers the thumbnails from the last disk it looked at.

In other applications, I’ve had a similar thing happen and all I did was to put the disk back in the drive and then change the drive selection and that cleared up the problem

Dick
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 3, 2003
Robert,

Normally the browser remembers the last place you browsed. Just open the browser and navigate to your My Pictures folder, for example. Open an image and quit the program. Relaunch and see if that helps. The file browser also creates a cache which you can purge from the file browser’s MORE menu. Did you try deleting prefs?

I did hear of one case where this kept happening after all trouble shooting methods were exhausted. The last thing I would try is uninstalling the app and deleting all of the user folders and files that are left behind (prefs etc.) and then doing a clean reinstall.

Rich
RJ
robert_jenkins
Dec 3, 2003
Rich,
Thanks for the tips. Tried opening browser with My Pictures but still got the error message. HOWEVER, by putting a disk into the drive, the error message was able to be deleted by cancelling just the once – which is good. But why should I have to insert a disk? As for deleting preferences, when I open them up there does not seem to be the option there. Unless there are prefs somewhere other than under Edit>Preferences etc… If there are, please tell. Otherwise, since I’ve tried the reload, I guess I live with it and place a disk in drive A everytime I use it. Not ideal, but …
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 3, 2003
Tp delete Elements preference folder:

With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. It will rebuild as Elements continues to launch.

This is a handy trick to remember. Try it whenever something that used to work correctly quits working or if you begin to get random freezes.
RJ
robert_jenkins
Dec 3, 2003
Beth,

Thanks for this – tried it – answered yes to prefs – but still got the error message when i tried to browse on C drive. Again, its OK though if a disk is in the A drive. Running out of options I think, unless Adobe would like to answer.

Robert
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 4, 2003
Robert,

When you put a disk in drive a: and browse, have you tried closing the browser after you switched drives and folders? This might get rid of your problem. Go to a new drive/folder after viewing it, close the browser, then close Elements and reopen it and see if you get the same message.

Dick
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 4, 2003
ROBERT,
Deleting Preefs worked for me and I hope whatever caused that message doesn’t ever return. I, too, had to delete and cancel 2 or 3 times.
Good luck with your solutions.
Marty

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections