RP
Posted By
Ronald_Pare
Nov 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to create a flyer with a Word document in the fore ground and a scaned photo in the background. Anyone with some info on how to import a MS Word document into photo shop elements that can be used that way?

Thanks for any help, Ron

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 28, 2003
I hope someone will come up with an answer, but I haven’t had good luck with this. Elements doesn’t retain the formatting when I’ve tried it, which means I’ve had better luck just adding text in multiple layers. I understand the newer versions of Word will allow you to bring an image in and move it to the back, so you can place text over the top. If anyone knows how to do this, I’d like to know how, too, and I’d also like to know which versions of Word allow this. Mine is old – Word 98.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 28, 2003
Ronald,

If you’re using a Mac running OS X just save the Word document as a PDF from the Print dialog box. If you’re using Windows you just need to find a utility or program that’ll do the same thing. If you can get your document into PDF format then you’re all set. Elements handles PDF’s no problem.

Joe
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 28, 2003
In Word 2002 (OfficeXP) you can insert a picture as a watermark image by going to Format>Background>Printed Watermark. There are several choices once you are there.

It’s probably easier to make the image in Elements, save it and then import it into Word to use for a brochure or other document.

HTH
Dick
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 28, 2003
Beth,

We must have been posting at the same time. Have you tried using a PDF like I just described? I’ve used it a few times and it works well because the PDF does retain the formating.

Joe
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 28, 2003
Happy Day After Thanksgiving Joe! No, my version of Word doesn’t have that option. Looks like it’s time to order Office X, which I’ve been planning to do anyway. Thank you!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 28, 2003
Beth and Ron, Word 2000 will allow you to put a picture in the background for a Web page; however, it won’t print that way. I’m still looking at how it can be done. One way to do the project Ron has is to open the picture in Elements, add the words in one or more Type layers, flatten the final image and save it, then Insert it into a Word document. Still looking for a better alternative…

Chuck
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 28, 2003
Beth, the pdf thing doesn’t have anything to do with specific programs-it’s an option in the print dialog in X. In early versions of X you go to Output Options in the little pulldown menu where it says "pages and copies" by default. You can save any document in X as a pdf–that’s how all X fax programs work, BTW–they make a pdf and send that.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 28, 2003
Barb,

I don’t think Beth can save as a PDF because she’s using a Classic version of Office (98 or 2001). You don’t get that option in Classic print dialog boxes do you?

Beth,

Happy Turkey Day to you too! Sorry, I forgot you were using a pre OS X version of Office. My Bad! 😉

Chuck,

Have you tried using a PDF as a text layer? It works slick.

Joe
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 28, 2003
Joe, I need to try that – what a great idea! Will report back shortly on whether it works on a PC…
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 28, 2003
Thanks, Joe. For some reason I thought you had 2001, Beth.
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 28, 2003
Just an addendum to my earlier post. Word offers the option of using a "washout" on the watermarked picture. Not using this choice gives you a stronger image but still not as bright as if it were a plain image file.

Dick
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 28, 2003
No, I don’t have it yet, Barbara. Joe is right, and I’m still doing all of my word processing in OS 9. I started to buy Office X a while back but never got it ordered. Which is probably just as well, because I would have gotten the Pro version and then had a useless copy of VPC when the day comes I move to Panther. This way I can at least save a little money. 🙂
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 28, 2003
The really sad thing is that it’s been so long since I’ve booted into 9 or had to use a classic app that I couldn’t remember if there was a way to use OS X’s built in PDF print option from within Classic. I must be getting old. 😉

Joe
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 28, 2003
It’s not sad if you’re got all the software you need Joe! I don’t use Jaguar too much, because on my computer it still isn’t as fast and smooth as 9.1, and I still don’t have a couple of critical apps that will run natively in X. I’ve got that old B&W, remember? It has only a 550 processor, and even with a gig of RAM Jaguar is still choppy for some tasks. I’m glad I did the upgrade, because I was having a lot of misgivings about moving to a new computer that will run only in OS X. I’m comfortable with it now, so $$$ is the only thing standing between me and that G5 dual. 🙂
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Nov 28, 2003
Ron,
I have Word 2002 on my computer. You can get a picture file in to Word and have it appear behind text, for example:
1. Open picture in PE, Select>all, Edit>copy
2. Open new document in Word, Edit>Paste special. In window that comes up select "Picture." This will paste picture into document
3. Double click on picture to bring up format options, such as position behind text, in front of text, etc. Can position picture on specific portion of page with a click, move it, resize it, etc.
Let us know how you make out.
Ken
LM
Lou_M
Nov 28, 2003
Hey, Beth, Apple just came out with a dual 1.8 that’s significantly cheaper than the dual 2.0. Of course, if you wait ’til after MacWorld they’ll probably have next generation G5’s right around the corner.

Joe, that was a brilliant idea for using a PDF as the background!

If Ron’s using Windows, then Dick’s or Ken’s suggestions will work.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 28, 2003
That dual 1.8 is exactly what I have my eye on Lou! I spotted it within minutes of introduction, and my husband had to tie my hands behind my back as he reminded me I swore to wait for the second generation. Except that WAS before they added dual 1.8. I did hear some of the G5s have a noise problem that I’m hoping will be ironed out in Rev B. I’m trying to be strong!
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 28, 2003
Beth,

It’s easier to give in then be strong. And it’s a lot more fun! 😉

If it helps any, I too think the "dual" part of the 1.8 gig model makes it second generation. Your hubby can’t argue with that logic can he?

Joe
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 28, 2003
Ken, I can’t get the text to sit on top of the picture, even when telling it to Send Behind Text; wherever I try to move the picture, the text moves away from it. Wonder if that’s something that’s been improved in Word 2002 (I have 2000)

Chuck
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 28, 2003
I’m really using him as my excuse, because I did tell him not to let me cave in. If you’ll remember back a year ago, I had some extra challenges to overcome when I was upgrading this computer because it was a first generation. The bugs got ironed out when they introduced Rev B , but I’ve had to live with them. I’m determined to try and avoid that this time. I hope.

And your argument that the dual 1.8 is second generation only holds water if you ignore the fact Apple didn’t make any changes besides adding a second processor. I’m too smart to fall for that one. Although, so far, the only complaint I’ve heard about the G5s has to do with noise, and I think it’s only the dual 2.0s. That isn’t bad for a totally rebuilt line.
BT
Ben T
Nov 28, 2003
Ronald try this, I am using XP Home
Convert your Word.doc to pdf > open this doc in Elements, I have a lot of pdf doc files so I opened a saved one. Make a duplicate layer and color it white > move it below the pdf doc > Flatten > Select all > Copy. Open Elements photo > Open a blank layer > paste.
hth
Ben T

wrote in message
I want to create a flyer with a Word document in the fore ground and a
scaned photo in the background. Anyone with some info on how to import a MS Word document into photo shop elements that can be used that way?
Thanks for any help, Ron
BT
Ben_T
Nov 28, 2003
Ronald try this, I am using XP Home
Convert your Word.doc to pdf > open this doc in Elements, I have a lot of pdf doc files so I opened a saved one. Make a duplicate layer and color it white > move it below the pdf doc > Flatten > Select all > Copy. Open Elements photo > Open a blank layer > paste.
hth
Ben T
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 28, 2003
Ben, can you save a Word document as a pdf without having full Acrobat? I don’t believe I can do that on my XP Word 2000 system…
BT
Ben_T
Nov 28, 2003
Chuck
I don’t know. I have full Acrobat writer because I need it in my part time job. When writer is installed it places convenient icons to make the process easy. If one doesn’t need the writer I can see that it won’t be worth the expense for an occasional project. somewhere arond $150.00. Sorry ’bout dat.
Ben T
BT
Ben_T
Nov 28, 2003
Chuck, Ronald
Another workaround, email your doc to someone who has the writer, they can convert it to pdf and send it back to you.
Ben
RP
Ronald_Pare
Nov 29, 2003
Thanks to everybody who offered information on how to solve my problem. I used Office Xp Word which allows you to put a "watermark" behind the text of your document, you can use a picture or text. Problem solved!!!

Ron
JR
John_R._Collins
Nov 29, 2003
Ron,
To get your Word document into your PE2 creation, open your document in Word, press the PrtSc button (you may also have to press shift at the same time).
Open your PE2 creation, activate the appropriate layer and then edit/paste and there you are. Sorry I didn’t reply earlier, I just tuned in.
This works with my WXP and laptop computer. I can’t see why the version of Word would be relevant. John
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 29, 2003
FYI, I was working on a project not long ago where I had to create PDF’s in Windows. I found a $40 utility that would do just that (basically a print driver) without requiring you to buy the full version of Acrobat. If anyone is interested let me know and I’ll post the pertinent info.

Joe
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 29, 2003
Joe,

I would be interested in looking over the utility, thank you.

Nancy
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 29, 2003
Ok Nancy, I’ll get you the info when I get off work.

Joe
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 29, 2003
Joe,

Okey dokey, thanks.

Nancy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 29, 2003
Ron, thanks for the tip on watermarks! Made my day!!

Chuck
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Nov 29, 2003
Chuck,
My version of Word does allow me to place picture behind text by steps outlined. I can also use the watermark technique, but then the picture looks faded. I tried watermark text and that looks ok for a background admonition such as "condidential."
Ken
AR
A RS
Nov 29, 2003
About 2 months ago I downloaded I downloaded a free PDF driver. When you use it, an advertising browser ‘pops up’. You can get rid of this by purchasing an advanced package, but it is a very minor annoyance.

http://www.pdf995.com/

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:25:53 -0800, wrote:

Joe,

I would be interested in looking over the utility, thank you.
Nancy
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 29, 2003
Nancy,

Sorry, I forgot to post this last night. I was tired and well, I get forgetful when I’m tired. Anyway, here’s a link to PDF Factory <http://www.pdffactory.com>. It’s actually $49 instead of the previously mentioned $40. There I go getting forgetful again! 😉

It worked pretty good for the project I was working on and it beats having to buy $200 Acrobat.

Joe
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 29, 2003
Joe,

Initially I had been about to add "no hurry, whenever you have time", guess I should have so you wouldn’t feel forgetful. Thank you, Joe.

Nancy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 29, 2003
Hi, Ken: I believe I found out how it can be done in my version of Word also; I can switch from Watermark to a regular picture view and still maintain the text-over-picture. I figured out with help here yesterday….now can I still remember it today??
🙂
AS
Anthony_Spatuzzi
Dec 3, 2003
A few months ago I downloaded a free PDF driver. When
you use it, an advertising browser ‘pops up’. You can get rid of this by purchasing an advanced package, but it is a very minor annoyance.

<http://www.pdf995.com/>

It was free and it works well.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections