Adam_Jerugim
Jun 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2551>

from the website:

The Adjusted Refresh plug-in addresses the time it takes to visually preview some filter updates in Adobe® Photoshop® CS. This plug-in reduces the size of the Photoshop image tiles. This causes the display to redraw in smaller pieces, reducing the time it takes to see the updated preview. The Adjusted Refresh plug-in will also reduce the initial scratch disk usage after you launch Photoshop. Note that overall performance may be reduced for users with multiple processors or more than 1 gigabyte of RAM

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jun 3, 2004
Note that overall performance may be reduced for users with multiple processors or more than 1 gigabyte of RAM

I would love to hear from some Adobe representative exactly for whom this plug-in is targeted. With 1.5GB RAM currently, I think I’ll wait on this little goodie.
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Jun 3, 2004
If PS CS is working great as is, I wouldn’t suggest using this plug-in. However, if you’re experiencing slow redraw issues and other performance issues you may want to give it a try – if you don’t like it, or it does nothing for you, feel free to delete it. Some people (even with >1GB of RAM on their systems) have had some overall performance improvements using this plug-in.

-Adam
R
Ram
Jun 3, 2004
In other words, this may be good for you, or it may not be good for you, but, most likely, who knows!

This definitely qualifies as one for the books. 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 3, 2004
I have installed it even though I have had no complaints about slowness in Photoshop CS.

My impression is that Photoshop may be running faster and it definitely feels as if the healing brush is working more quickly on large 16-bit images.
(I have 1.5GB RAM in a G5 2 GHz Dual.)
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 3, 2004
Ann – it doesn’t help the 16 bit healing brush…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 3, 2004
Well, it sure feels like it does!
Perhaps the wind is in the right quarter — or maybes 10.3.4 is just snappier all round……
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 3, 2004
I’d second Ann on the healing brush speed up. Things feel slightly snappier. Although I generally don’t have too many complaints anyway, given the fact that I have a G3 imac (756Mb memory, 600Mhz), I’m just grateful that CS runs at all!

Susan S.
LA
Leena_Andrew
Jun 3, 2004
same question here also…….

Adobe Expert <http://www.usarxlist.com>
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 3, 2004
Ummm – a forum host might want to go through and delete all Ms. Andrew’s posts…
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Jun 4, 2004
(I copied my post from another thread in an attempt to encourage people to try out this new plug-in)

I ran some tests today on both Win (2xOpteron 1.79GHz 2GB DDR RAM) and Mac (2xG4 1.25GHz 2GB DDR RAM) and found the healing brush to work faster on both systems in PS CS (on 16bit images) with the new Adjusted Refresh plug-in.

Notice that both systems are MP systems, and both systems have >1GB RAM. Don’t let that scare you – just be sure to keep the memory allocated to PS ~70%.

I would encourage anyone who may think they have performance issues to try out the new plugin.

Same rules apply:

1. Memory slider should never be set above 70%
2. Have your scratch volume on a clean, defragmented, dedicated partition (the faster the drive the better)
3. Make sure you have plenty of room for VM on your primary OS volume – running out of VM space can cripple PS

-Adam
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Jun 8, 2004
From Chris Cox – 09:52pm Jun 2, 2004 Pacific (#5 of 10)
Ann – it doesn’t help the 16 bit healing brush…

My 16 bit healing brush takes 5 seconds per "fix" on my 30X30 images (360 dpi) from a Kodak DCS Pro back (Hasselblad 555ELD). I’m using a G4 dual 1.4 GHz Mac with 2 GB of RAM.

I’m waiting to buy the newest G5 dual Mac, but still P.O.ed that PS CS can not use more than 2 GB of the available RAM,

Is the healing brush faster on the curent dual 2 GHz G5? Dick
R
Ram
Jun 8, 2004
still P.O.ed that PS CS can not use more than 2 GB of the available RAM

No application can. It’s a limitation of the OS.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 8, 2004
Richard:

In regards to the Healing Brush please see Adam’s post immediately before yours. Several of us find the Healing brush IS faster on 16-bit images — which apparently came as a welcome surprise to Adobe’s engineers!
:~)

On a 120MB image on a G5 2GHX Dual: healing time is under 2 seconds on a small spot.

(You can’t rely on Photoshop’s "Timing" to report this accurately because it just adds each stroke by the healing brush to the total time used since you started using that particular tool.)
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 6, 2004
and everything that I can remember.

Is fucked up as I remember.

can’t belive…….

and then I find,……….. you here.

everything clear…..

rembering everything that’s said…

because you don’t know how to listen.

what locked inside of my head…

the silence gets us nowhere…..

nowhere where fast…….
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 6, 2004
but these words can’t replace what’s inside of the life you waste….
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Jul 9, 2004
Deleted out and out SPAM.

Is this the actual post or did Adobe, ahem, amend this post.

Mike-what the hell is the poem supposed to be about?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 9, 2004
Re the SPAM message:
Someone called Leena posted numerous links to a commercial prescriptions-by-mail site in these forums and the hosts rightly deleted all of her postings.

Regarding MO’s "poem":
Mike is known to wax lyrically at weekends but he usually recovers by Monday!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 9, 2004
totally gone at this point.

17 days straight, 18 hour days, 3.5 hours of sleep a day.

Your job?

ask me if I care…
D
Dan-o
Jul 31, 2004

[snip]

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections