MC
Posted By
Missy_Clark
Nov 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’m new to this forum. I’ve been using PE 2.0 for about a year now and have generally been pretty pleased with it. My computer is a Dell Pentium 4 (at 2.8 GHz) with Windows XP, only about 6 months old. (Other info: 120 GB hard drive and 1024MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz.)

Just the other day PE 2.0 seemed to develop a problem. I’d been creating a series of photo note cards (A7 size)using photographs either taken with my Nikon digital D100 or scanned from prints I took before going digital. On some (but not all!) of my attempts, when I tried to save the final product, I got the following error message: "Could not complete your request because of a program error." When I tried to close the file, requesting a ‘save’ option before closing, I got a similar error message: "Could not complete the Close command because of a program error." A couple of times the program froze and I had to use the dreaded C/A/D command to get out. When I elect to close the file without saving it, I’m usually able to do so. Rebooting the computer doesn’t seem to help. And as I said, this seems to happen only sporadically (although there’s one photo in particular I don’t seem to be able to work with).

Any suggestions or pointers? I’m not a neophyte with computers but neither do I consider myself extremely confident when it comes to trying complicated fixes involving playing with directory extensions, etc. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 25, 2003
The first thing to try is deleting the Elements Preference folder. This should be your first line of defense whenever something that used to work correctly quits.

With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down as Elements continues to launch until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. A new folder will be generated as Elements continues to load. You will lose any custom settings, but you might very well find your problem has been corrected, too.

Please repost and let us know if this worked or not. If it did, that’s always good feedback. If it didn’t, we can come up with different suggestions.

It’s not uncommon for that Preference folder to become corrupted, although nobody has ever pinpointed a specific reason.
MC
Missy_Clark
Nov 26, 2003
Dear Beth,
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn’t work – I’m still getting the error message. But your directions were clear and I’d be grateful for any additional ideas.

Melissa
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 26, 2003
Oh, oh! I’m bumping this one back to the top, because Windows isn’t my strong suit. That "program error" message isn’t anything I feel comfortable dealing with, since it wasn’t just the Preferences that became corrupted.

You didn’t by any chance add something like a tablet recently, did you? And I assume you’ve done your system housekeeping chores?
EW
Ed_Wurster
Nov 26, 2003
wrote…
Hi, I’m new to this forum. I’ve been using PE 2.0 for about a year now and
have generally been pretty pleased with it. My computer is a Dell Pentium 4 (at 2.8 GHz) with Windows XP, only about 6 months old. (Other info: 120 GB hard drive and 1024MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz.)
Just the other day PE 2.0 seemed to develop a problem. I’d been creating a
series of photo note cards (A7 size)using photographs either taken with my Nikon digital D100 or scanned from prints I took before going digital. On some (but not all!) of my attempts, when I tried to save the final product, I got the following error message: "Could not complete your request because of a program error." When I tried to close the file, requesting a ‘save’ option before closing, I got a similar error message: "Could not complete the Close command because of a program error." A couple of times the program froze and I had to use the dreaded C/A/D command to get out. When I elect to close the file without saving it, I’m usually able to do so. Rebooting the computer doesn’t seem to help. And as I said, this seems to happen only sporadically (although there’s one photo in particular I don’t seem to be able to work with).
Any suggestions or pointers? I’m not a neophyte with computers but neither
do I consider myself extremely confident when it comes to trying complicated fixes involving playing with directory extensions, etc. Any suggestions gratefully received.

I found this link by pasting your exact error message into Google.

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f03e.htm

It looks like a good starting place. However, come back and share what you find BEFORE making any changes.

I think the one file you have a problem with is a bad file, so leave that out of the equation for now. In fact, don’t open or use that file, and see if your problem goes away.

Ed
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 26, 2003
Have you defragged recently, Missy?
MC
Missy_Clark
Dec 1, 2003
OK, here’s the final update. Deleting the Preferences folder didn’t work. I defragged but still had the problem. The link Ed found turned up recommendations so complicated I didn’t dare try them without professional help (involved reinstalling Windows, among other things) so I didn’t attempt that.

I think the photo files themselves may have somehow become corrupted. I reached this conclusion when I rescanned the "troublesome" ones and was able to use the newly scanned versions without problems in creating the files I wanted. Thanks for the input! (PS, My cards look great – a side "thank you" to Red River Paper’s website for providing a tutorial on creating them.)

Melissa

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections