O.T. Pbase gallery owners – be carefull…

R
Posted By
Ray
Nov 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

For all of us who have a Pbase gallery, here’s a picture of a comment I just received from a user / viewer :

http://www.pbase.com/image/23484220

This is to warn you to either turn off posting on your Pbase account or to check your galleries regularly.

Ray

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 21, 2003
Hum, I’m not clear on this 😉
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 21, 2003
Hi Ray, I’ve never had a bad one except for one sort of jealous remark for a landscape picture. You can delete all the comments that you don’t want, I did delete this only one. Your pictures are awesome, and this comment is only from a person who cant deal with talent beyond his.
I wouldn’t pay much attention to this type of comment, they are just people who have no creative abilities and are only cruising Pbase.com to criticize. Just ignore and delete.

Pbase is so big that there are bound to be some abusers, but we can avoid them by deleting comments, and only giving our links to our classmates and friends.
I love pbase, and all we have to do is ignore the stupid stuff. If I didn’t have pbase , I would have to do a web site! I don’t think I am up to that yet,,,,,, Jane
R
Ray
Nov 21, 2003
Thanks Jane. I’m considering turning the commenting off…

Ray
PD
Pete_D
Nov 21, 2003
Ray,

That is very odd that you would get feedback like that. Guess shutting that off is probably a good idea even though it probably was nice to have a place to hear valid comments.

Sorry this happened to you but you know that there are AH’s everywhere.

Pete
J
jhjl1
Nov 21, 2003
Sorry to hear that Ray. I got an off the wall comment several weeks ago and turned off comments for a few days. After turning it back on the previous comments less the one I deleted were still there and no trouble since. Good luck.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
MR
Mark_Reibman
Nov 21, 2003
Ray,

I’m sorry you had to be the recipient of this kind of attack. I think these kind of comments are unusual for pbase, but certainly not unheard of. You can disable the comments on pbase.
R
Ray
Nov 21, 2003
Thanks all for your comments, but I was really doing this to warn users of Pbase. Don’t worry, I’m really bullet proof against nasty comments 🙂

Ray
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 21, 2003
Cheez Ray! What a bummer, but don’t let that @$$H… get you down.

Shan
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 21, 2003
Ray

Don’t let it get to you. For every jerk there is in the world there are hundreds of nice people.

Grant
MR
Mark_Reibman
Nov 21, 2003
Actually the purpose of the post is that Ray is more concerned about us then himself.
R
Ray
Nov 21, 2003
Grant : You’re absolutely right. And they’re all are here 😉

Mark : In fact, I am. This isn’t a very technical group (as opposed to Photoshop, for example). So, sometimes, we meet people who are totally unaware of these sort of things. So I thought it would serve this community good to let them know what some individuals are doing to have fun… (in a distorted sort of way, of course)
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 21, 2003
As my old grandpa used to say: "that’s why they don’t send donkey’s to school"!

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 21, 2003
Ray, i’m sorry, i did not realize that comment was directed to you. I thought some idiot just posted it for everyone to look at for everyone who has a pbase account. I did not mean to take it so lightly…didn’t realize someone had sent you the message personally.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 21, 2003
Trolls are truly sad people. They have nothing better to do but insult and ridicule others from the safety and anonymity of the Internet.

I like your stuff Ray. 🙂

Joe
CR
Chris_Rankin
Nov 21, 2003
Jane,
Re your comment about the links for friends and classmates only- That only works if you uncheck the galleries viewable to anybody. When you updated your level III gallery it showed up in the recent galleries listing. That’s how I knew the dog’s name in your Challenge 41 entry.

CR
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 21, 2003
Hi Chris, I only have one gallery that is hidden, and it is all the background images that I hope to use on my web site.
In the 2 years I have been using pbase, I have only had one nasty comment, and it was on a sort of landscape shot with a sunset in the background. I just figured the guy who commented, was jealous, and deleted his comment and never thought of it again till Ray showed us the comment he got.
I wouldn’t bother to hide my albums, I want them out there for people to see easily. For my lessons, we have the private Yahoo forum, so our homework can be seen only by our classmates and instructor. Then I move some of the better ones over to pbase later on.

You know, I still haven’t done my web page! Pbase does all I really need, as my site would mostly be photo albums anyway. I do have many more on Mac.com and Clubphoto.com and Shutterfly and so forth.
But it really would be fun to do my very own site someday, I did buy Adobe GoLive 6 so I really don’t have an excuse not to start, do I.
Jane
CR
Chris_Rankin
Nov 21, 2003
Jane,
I’ve only had one bad comment, and it was similar to Ray’s : full of mis-spellings and bad grammer. Some people get their jollies from being a troll or flame baiter,and while I begrudge the time(tiny as it is)that it takes to delete it, they’re not even worth responding to.
Like you, Pbase does everything I need it to do, although I’d like to have a sitelike Bob W.’s someday. If you haven’t seen it yet, check out his retrospective thread. Matbe it will inspire you to take the plunge.

CR
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 21, 2003
Oh I did see it and it sure is wonderful. I wonder what he used to make it, I hope it was GoLive. I did make one page by hand but I am not very good at HTML, it came out OK but not great. Netscape has Composer which I used for another page, but I think that GoLive or Freeway is the way for me to go. Maybe that will be my next project.
Inspiration, that is what I always find right here.
Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 21, 2003
I tried to access the link but all I get is

Bad Image Reference
The Image ID specified in the URL does not exist. It was probably deleted, but verify the URL.

Has it been deleted?

Wendy
R
Ray
Nov 22, 2003
Wendy,

Yes, I am sorry, I deleted the image I made (print-screen) of the comments.

Basically, it said I had no talent and my girlfriend (whom is actually my sister) is ugly…. That sort of thing.

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 22, 2003
Ray,

Some people are just plain silly !!!!. Maybe it was kids just playing around ……

Wendy
ED
Emeril_Darose
Nov 23, 2003
Hey Pete, there is a place for comments on your photos that is open to people by invite only. That way any inaproprate comments can be delt with and will be swiftly. But alas no one is using it.

Emeril
J
JodiFrye
Nov 23, 2003
Fact is, i feel sorry for people like this because they obviously have some inner emotional problems that they are not capable of dealing with. They tend to hate themselves and want to spread their misery. It’s their way of sharing. Most of the time these people have big hearts but have never learned how to overcome there fears of letting it go. Many times this behaviour is general of young adolescents…all those hormones struggling to be set free to adulthood…( can happen at any age for some ) Let’s not be bothered but be hopeful they will overcome their inferior feelings about themselves.
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 23, 2003
Ray, why worry about people like this one?
There are so many good ones compared to this rotten apple in your basket. Sometimes I have the same kind of comments in the guestbook of my website. Only a few weeks ago someone thought it useful to tell me in words I will not reproduce I didnot know anything about imaging and I’d better learn my profession from another Dutch photographer wo was so much better….

I happened to know this "other photographer" rather well. The one who posted this message appeared to be one of his employees…

Remedy: delete the message, smile for a while and go on with what you were doing; that’s all.

Leen
R
Ray
Nov 23, 2003
I wasn’t worried, not at all. I just know some people put pictures up there and forget to check their galleries, once in a while. This was just a short reminder never to leave your "children"
unattended 🙂 That’s all!

Leen, btw, I visited your site and saw some of your gorgeous wedding pictures… W-O-W !! 🙂

Ray
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 23, 2003
Oh, that one was you! 😉

If you ever need my services, please call. 😉

Leen
R
Ray
Nov 23, 2003
I’m not sure I’ll be able to afford someone like you, next year 🙂 But, who knows… I could win the lottery untill then! I’ll make the trip to Europe in that case 🙂

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections