Posted By
franjo
Nov 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all

This is baffling me. I have downloaded some bits and bobs from Adobe Studio (custom shapes etc) but not too sure where to put them all ie masks, actions. Plus, novice as I am with PE2, how to use them.

Is it ,also, trial and error what will work with PE2 say for instance I see a nice effect but it is for Photoshop 6 / 7?

Thanking you in advance
Regards
fran

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobHill
Nov 17, 2003
Franjo,

Not all Actions for PhotoShop can be used in Elements. But try Presets, PhotoShop Actions. For shapes, put them into the same folder that you have your shapes in Elements (Presets/Custom Shapes). Give that a try.

Bob
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 17, 2003
Good rule of thumb about where to put goodies is look at the file type i.e. .abr, .aco and the place them in the file where files with the same ending are.

Most go somewhere in "Presets".

I like to keep in simple (I need too 🙂

Wendy
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 17, 2003
Franjo-I totally disreguard photoshop prerequisite level even if it says it’s only for a certain level. Someone here posted not too long ago that PE is built on the 7.0 engine. At any rate, I personally have had mostly success with brushes, styles, custom shapes, and a freebee set of filters. I haven’t tried actions because I haven’t bought Hidden Elements yet. And I don’t know if we can use templates. As far as placement, do as Bob and Wendy suggested.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 17, 2003
it really is a trial and error basis. Many brushes and styles created in PS7 will not work in PE1 but will work in PE2. Thankfully, there are still people like me who create styles/brushes to share in PS6 which is compatible with both programs.
F
franjo
Nov 17, 2003
Thanks for all replies.

Jodi – I haven’t got to the stage of creating styles/brushes as yet, still grasping, slowly, the basics 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 17, 2003
Terri,

I have been looking for some freebie filters but so far I have had no luck. where did you get yours from and are they any good?

Fran .. it you can use the lasso then you can make a simple brush … it really isn’t difficult. If you want any help then just ask 🙂

Wendy
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 17, 2003
I’ve tried a fair few filters – and not many of them are worth the effort (not least ‘cos it’s hard to find them for OSX – unlike styles and actions which are platform independent, filters do depend on the OS you are using).

In OSX, I have the Dreamsuite freebie – which I do use occasionally. If I run in OS9 or classic I have panotools (which I use for correcting barrel distortion), and the extract filter – another side benefit of the old save limited PS6 demo. (don’t use it much tho’) and an eye candy freebie – very rarely used.

susan S.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 18, 2003
Thanks for the info Susan … now I know why I have had no sucess with filters.

Wendy
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 18, 2003
Wendy,

I’m on Win XP if that matters. I have a filter called Simplifier that I got free from Amphisoft at <http://photoshop.msk.ru> (sorry I don’t know hown to add a live link in post). It’s artsy…if you go back to last challenge, it is the filter I used on Big Naked Guy in the fountain. It’s eye candy but I like it. The other one I got for free is a set of 8 that I got off the Adobe Exchange in the plug-In section…called Graphic xtras1. They are fully functional not demos. How useful? I haven’t got down to seriously playing with them but they seem to be so-so but hey what do you expect for free.

Terri
F
franjo
Nov 18, 2003
Thanks for all replied, appreciated – such a wealth of knowledge for fledglings 🙂

Wendy – curious how to make the brushes, if you’ve got time I’d be very interested to learn.

regards
fran
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 18, 2003
I’ve found a few good downloads from this site ;

<http://www.freephotoshop.com/index.htm>
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 18, 2003
Jodi

I looked at the site mentioned in post #11. It looks promising. I was thinking about maybe downloading Harry’s filters. I see you have to give out your e-mail address to get access. So, do they spam you? Is there a subscription fee? Just wanted to know what to expect if I supply an e-mail address. By the way, I also downloaded the rest of the Amphisoft free pack…several look useful. Only 2 or 3 of 10 in pack were demos.

Terri
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 18, 2003
Terri, I’ve never received an ounce of spam from any of the downloads from that site. I have Harry’s filters but that is one that I just haven’t used very much at all. Maybe once. I was curious about it at first but there really isn’t anything in there that you can’t do yourself with adjustment layers. Anyways, don’t take my word for it….anything can be deleted afterwards 😉
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 18, 2003
Jodi, thanks for the information on that. I’ll have to get back to that site…I got a case of the wants. I take it your kids must be asleep too. Mine is, finally.

Terri
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 18, 2003
Wendy,

I just downloaded Harry’s Filters from site Jodi posted…it’s a MUCH better tip than I gave. Go there. Forget the freebees from Exchange they look bad in comparison. I still like a couple of the Amphisoft filters but Jodi’s suggestion is the motherload of free filter effects. THANK YOU JODI!

Franjo,

There was a thread about that a few days ago. You might want to do a forum search…type in elements…click on Elements syops…I think it’s listed under creation of brushes or brushes will not load. I basically know how to do it but you would be better served by hearing from someone more familiar on the subject than me. I’m sure someone else will come along and answer this for you.

Terri
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 18, 2003
Sorry, Terri, but I think Wendy is a mac user if I remember rightly, and that site says right on the first page:

Welcome to the site dedicated exclusively to Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop plugins and filters for the PC.

Sigh.
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 18, 2003
Barbara, Hate to disagree with you but if we are talking about Harry’s Filters there is a 1.0 version "unstuffit" which is for Mac Os 9 "which will create a Harrysfilters for Mac folder". The download icon is even marked (Win/Mac).
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 18, 2003
Mac Os 9

They may work in classic, thanks. But they won’t work in X, alas.

That’s still true for lots of the best filters, unfortunately, like Eye Candy. If PE works okay in classic, you’re home free with those, but for those of us who find it doesn’tÂ…
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 18, 2003
Barbara. Don’t worry you can do all these effects like Jodi said with masking, etc… just a few more steps involved.

Terri
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 18, 2003
Hi Everyone,

Yes as Barbara says I’m a Mac user and OSX is where I have Elements so unless things work under that sadly they are not for me ….. Sigh!!!

Fran … Just to show you how easy it is to make a simple brush:

Open up a photo, use the lasso to draw round any shape and then go to edit. A pull down menu will appear and you can then click on define brush. You will be asked to give it a name and there is your new brush. If you want to keep it you will have to save it but I suppose at this stage you will just be playing around … when you want to save one of your new brushes just shout again. Jodi came up with a great way of saving them and I will search around to find it for you.

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 18, 2003
Hi Fran,

The link for saving brushes is message no 8 on <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2cce5125>

Hope you make some good ones 🙂
F
franjo
Nov 19, 2003
Thanks for all replies, I’ve been following them all.

Wendy – Many thanks for taking the time to help and for the link, really appreciate it.

When I got PE2 I "naturally" bought PE2 for Dummies but I find the wealth of experience / knowledge on this forum more helpful, thanks again.

regards
fran
F
franjo
Dec 9, 2003
Hi all

Due to amount of pics mounting up I’m trying to catalogue all into different categories on different cd’s. I’ve "batched" re-named/numbered one disc but would now like to add some more photos to same disc and have the numbers running consecutively – is this possible?

regards
fran
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 10, 2003
Hi Jodi, I just fetched the downloads that you recommended from <http://www.freephotoshop.com/>
Unzipped them and put them in the "Filters" part of PSE 2 but nothing shows up inside the program when I re-start it.
All your goodies went in fine, and they are there and I sure use them.

I admit that I have no clue where to put these new ones, so that they are functional, or even visible,
how do you get them into PSE? Do you just drag them into the program or try to push them into filters or presets or whatever. Or will they ‘land’ wherever they are supposed to go?

(I had the same problem with Richard Lynch’s downloads, they just went ‘poof’ and never ended up in PSE.)

The new ones that I downloaded are;
CPK filters folder
Crescent Moon folder
Sabercat folder
Scribe_filters folder

They look like simpletext documents, and not the yellow icons that the functional ones show up as. They all end in .8bf and I have nothing like that in my PSE.
I don’t seem to understand this at all,,,,,,,
Thanks, Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 10, 2003
Jane, I’m not familiar with those ones but the general path for filters is program files>adobe>elements>plug-ins>filters…then just throw them in loose with the rest…no seperate folder. If you are still having problems let us know and I’ll go take a look at the ones you mentioned.

ah, you are on a Mac…i forgot…Beth ???
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 10, 2003
Jane, are you sure those are mac plug-ins? The site says "Welcome to the site dedicated exclusively to Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop plugins and filters for the PC."
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 10, 2003
Oh, I forgot to mention,,,, Mac-OS 9.2.2, but why would the placement/addition of the filters be different, I wonder.
I tried to put them in again, but nothing. Flaming Pear, EyeCandy, Xenoflex, Corel KPT Collection, and Jodis and Paul Shipleys goodies are ensconced and happy inside PSE, but Hidden Power and some other downloads like these new ones, are unable to let me add them to my PSE 2.
Tried to locate .8BF file names inside my PSE program, but nothing by that ID.

I think that you have solved the mystery, these must be something that work only with PCs. This is the only part of this wonderful program that completely mystifies me. So I better be happy with what I have, and they are wonderful. I better learn them and not worry about adding more.
But it just is so mysterious,,,,,,
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 10, 2003
mac plug ins…google it ! sorry ;(
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 10, 2003
Jane, layer styles don’t care about platform. Plug-ins are like like mini-applications so they do.
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 10, 2003
I gave up on the downloads, EyeCandy, and all the ones I listed above will keep me busy for a long while.
Just really wonder why I can’t manage to get the new stuff into PSE. Or figure out where, under what catagory, they should be dragged into. I must have a mental block on this.
I will try again tomorrow, thanks anyway,,,,,,,
Jane

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections