Aroon_Dhoot
Nov 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there
bit of a novice user.
I installed photoshop elements 1 on my pc with windows xp pro running. However I dont use it much. When i try to uninstall it it completely messes up the start menu items when i click the start button at the bottom left. Extra folders appear, programs dissapear off my program directory etc. Has anyone had this problem before or know how to deal with it please? many thanks
Aroon

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobHill
Nov 17, 2003
Aroon,

If you properly uninstalled Elemnts using Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, then there should have been NO effect to anything except the properly chosen program being uninstalled. To use this, however on XP Pro, YOU must be logged in as the System Administrator or user with full Administrative Rights. Do you know if you are the Administrator or have the Rights?

Bob
AD
Aroon_Dhoot
Nov 17, 2003
Hallo bob
thanks for the reply.
yes i am logged in as the administrator – it is my home pc so i am the only one who uses it – do you know how i can double check this though? Its very strange – i have removed other programs that i was not using and they uninstalled fine. But when I used control panel to remove this it seems to change the menu on the start button and expand into a lot of things that dont seem to make sense to me – eg it suddenly has a java menu, some of the programs dissapear from the program menu etc. Im not sure how to stop this fropm happening.
cheers
Aroon
B
BobHill
Nov 18, 2003
Aroon,

I’m a bit suspicious that you have other problems with your computer than doing an uninstall. That SHOULD NOT have any effect on your start button what-so-ever and I’ve never heard of such. Are you perhaps running Norton Utilities and/or Virus Scan? Was it current and active when you installed Elements? Did you have it running when you did the uninstall? Although that often causes many problems with some programs (particularly Adobe programs). And, of course, you HAVE checked to see if you have a virus?

Bob
AD
Aroon_Dhoot
Nov 19, 2003
Hallo Bob

Ive checked I am the administrator and also tht there are no viruses. I can see what it is doing now.

Before i uninstall photpshop elements, my start menu refers to whatever is under c/documents and settings/aroon/start menu (which in this case is just a "programs" folder). However after I uninstall it it now just refers to c/documents and settings/aroon. In this folder "aroon" is all the subfolders that suddenly appear on my start menu – eg "cookies", "desktop", "user data" etc.

Im not sure how to get it to refer back to aroon/start menu rather than just aroon?

Its a very strange problem but the uninstallation must be guiding windows to look into the wrong folder for my start menu.

cheers
Aroon
B
BobHill
Nov 20, 2003
Aroon,

A normal install or uninstall does not effect your Start Menu in any way. You even have to place a program start icon into the Start Menu. I’d look to what you have in your StartMenu Folder.

Bob
AD
Aroon_Dhoot
Nov 24, 2003
Hi

well as I said before it does affect it even if its not supposed so telling me that it shouldnt unfortunately does not help. My start menu is pointing to the wrong folder as mentioned above and I dont know how to reset it. I guess is nots that big a problem so Ill leave it at that unless you have any other thoughts.

tks
Aroon
B
BobHill
Nov 24, 2003
Aroon,

Since you are the only person I’ve heard with this problem, you’d have to do a lot of checking of your system to see that it came from Elements, which I still strongly doubt. Sometimes Norton programs will cause Elements troubles, but I’ve never heard of this one. You might want to check on MicroSoft’s Knowledgebase for something about this, as it would seem to have been a Windows situation. I’ve used XP since it came out, and have installed and uninstalled many programs, including PhotoShop Elements and have never had a problems in doing so, and certainly have never seen or heard of your situation.

Bob
AD
Aroon_Dhoot
Nov 24, 2003
ok thanks for that.

It is a little strange. I have checked that it is definitely an elemnets problem. During the uninstallation I keep the start menu open and halfway thru it, when it is removing registry entries , the start menu suddenly expands into lots of different folders. I dont have norton running, and have to use system restore to get it back to normal (with elements restored too unfortunately). I will check out some articles on from microsoft. thanks for the advice.

Aroon
B
BobHill
Nov 25, 2003
Aroon,

When or if you find the cause and cure of your problem would you please post it here for the benefits of others that may have the same problem but haven’t posted on it.

Bob
AD
Aroon_Dhoot
Nov 26, 2003
the cause of the problem was after i had removed it properly the first time i did a system restore because of other problems on my pc. i then trie to re uninstall it and it messed up the start menu. The only cure I have found so far is to manually delete the adobe files under c:programs and the ones under c:programs/common files.

this seemed to have done the trick.

cheers
Aroon
K
Kdiuguid
Nov 29, 2003
Aroon Go to Run and then type in msconfig the go to settings you will find your whole start menu just click off what you don’t wont to start I hope this helps
AD
Aroon_Dhoot
Nov 30, 2003
thanks very much think the problem was not what starts up but what is placed on the start menu button. The differenet categories have changed around and new ones added like mentioned above.

cheers
Aroon

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections