MG
Posted By
Marcus_Guerrero
Nov 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a picture of a rainbow in Waimea Canyon in Kauai and would like some instructions from advanced users on how to go about retouching the photo so that I can enhance the colors of the rainbow. I don’t wan’t to go overboard and make it look fake; just more visible.

Thanks,
Marcus

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 13, 2003
Every photograph seems to be its own unique problems when it comes to editing. The only suggestion I have would be to create some adjustment layers. You know, levels, Hue/saturation, brightness/contrast, etc.. And then adjust each of those until you get your desired result.
EM
Eric_Matthes
Nov 14, 2003
Marcus,
Have you tried using autolevels yet? Often times that brings out the colors in a rainbow. If that makes it look fake, you can adjust the levels sliders yourself to the point where the rainbow stands out, and stop before it looks fake.

If those ideas don’t work, you could select the rainbow, create a mask, and darken the image outside of the rainbow.
CR
Chris_Rankin
Nov 14, 2003
If the above suggestions throw the rest of your image off, you could try selecting the rainbow, create a new layer of the rainbow, then try the above suggestions (hue/sat, levels.) That way you’re just enhancing that aspect of the photo.
MG
Marcus Guerrero
Nov 14, 2003
Thanks everyone. I will experiment with each suggestion!
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 14, 2003
Marcus,

In Mikkel Aaland’s book, pg 80, on a separate layer, of course, he used the sponge tool, set the option to Saturate and used a 100 pixel brush. He clicked and brushed till he got what he wanted, then used the eraser to remove the excess blue. He then applied a strong Gaussian blur to the rainbow.

Worked for him and I had some success, too.

Let us know how you’re doing.

Lorace
MG
Marcus Guerrero
Nov 14, 2003
Thank you so much for that suggestion, Lorace. I’ve just started and not finished yet but that is exactly the effect I was going for. I’m not familiar with Mikkel Aaland’s book. I gather it’s a "how-to" book currently available? Thanks again.
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 14, 2003
Marcus,

You’re sure welcome.

The book is called Photoshop Elements 2 Solutions – and I got it at Amazon.Com. It was mentioned in one of these threads and I’ve found it to be very, very helpful.

Lorace

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections