Posted By
John_R._Collins
Nov 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
There are lots of tiling or mosaic plugins out there but they all have the same deficiency: the sides of the square tiles are always horizontal and vertical. When looking at real-life mosaics, one can see that the orientations of the tiles follow the directions (contours) of the edges of whatever is near them in the picture. Has anyone seen a plugin that meets my needs? It would also be nice if sections of the picture could be selected in which the tiles could be made smaller.

Thanks,

John

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

I
imacgirl
Nov 13, 2003
John,

Maybe you want to try this found in PSE 2: Filter>Pixelate>Crystallize

Play around with the various Cell Sizes. You can select sections of the picture using the Lasso or the Selection Brush and apply the filter to those areas only. Always duplicate your layer prior to working on it, so you always have an original intact. Also, you can apply the filter to one layer and lower the opacity if you want the crystallize effect lessened some so the unaltered image shows through.

Barb
JR
John_R._Collins
Nov 13, 2003
Hi Barb, I’ll give your suggeation a try.
Thanks,
John
JR
John_R._Collins
Nov 13, 2003
Hi Barb,
I tried this effect, and it’s not bad. I’d love a beige grouting but one can’t have everything. The trending of the tile directions is not there as well. I think that such a plugin would need lots of "artist’s" direction before the effect is rendered in each section of the picture.

John
I
imacgirl
Nov 14, 2003
Hi John,

Glad that helped a bit. Another one you may want to try is Filter>Texture>Stained Glass. This one has a few more options to choose from. Use the Selection Brush Tool on the area you want and then apply the filter.

Barb
JR
John_R._Collins
Nov 14, 2003
Hi Barb,

I tried the stained glass effect. After selecting a portion of my picture, I added some noise, then blurred it a bit. I then used the stained glass. I adjusted the "grout" width and then color (by selecting it)as suggested. I finished by adding some noise to the grout for realism.
This doesn’t address my concern about tile directions but the effect looks more like a tiled picture than does the PE2 mosaic effect.

John
JR
John_R._Collins
Nov 14, 2003
Hopefully, this is a final note (from me) about tiling. The stained glass effect consists essentially of horizontal rows of color shapes of varying sizes. To change riling direction, I tried rotating my picture so that a prominant edge was horizontal. I then selected a portion of the picture in the area and "stainedglassed"and adjusted for tile size. I then rotated the picture to do another section of tiling, etc. This worked fine but it’s very labor intensive though.

John
I
imacgirl
Nov 14, 2003
Hi John,

Sounds like you solved your dilemma, rotating and applying the filter is a great idea. Yes it’s labor intensive, but I’m always amazed at how much you can change an image instantly by just adding a filter, it would take forever if it had to be done by hand.

Barb
WB
W_Bobrowski
Nov 16, 2003
John, email me and I’ll send you some graphic templates that will give an awesome tiled effect. One is a puzzle effect that simply adds appropriate shadows and has the illusion of depth and edge shadows. The other one has individual puzzle pieces on separate layers. Requires that you copy and paste your image multiple times. Then you can drag the pieces around to separate the puzzle pieces. At least I think I still have it! It took me long enough to make!

Best regards,
Walt

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections