Posted By
C.Gage
May 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HELP!

I’ve read enough to know that our RIP (Spooler, Virtual Printer, whatever …) is saving TIF’s a certain way, which Photoshop 7 then reads a certain way, and thereby automatically corrects the Pixel Aspect Ratio.

Long story short, when we open graphics off of this server, they are horizontally skewed. We have to turn off the Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction every damned time.

For now, we’ve set up an action to do this for us at the touch of a key. But we would like to know if there is a way to turn this feature off in Photoshop. Every time we open a new graphic, it’s back to being skewed, and we have to turn it off again.

We’re looking for a permanent solution.

HELP!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

H
Husky
May 3, 2005
Why is this screwing up all my images ? I can’t find a way to turn it off. It seems to gravitate to new BMP files. and JPG’s converted from the new bmps.

It only happens sometimes. not often enough to track down what’s screwing up the images.

The images wind up flattened and stretched horizontally with correction on. and squashed horizontally without the correction.

Can’t use the images in either mode.

more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
JH
Janelle_H
Sep 26, 2008
I’m having the same problem. Thousands of graphics get sent to us from a variety of sources outside our company and/or department. Unfortunately, for a large percentage of those, when I open them in Photoshop, I get the "Pixel aspect ratio correction is for preview purposes only. Turn it off for maximum image quality." message. I’m aware of the View -> Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction setting, but unfortunately, that seems to be a very temporary fix (since saving these files isn’t an option). What I really want to do is TOTALLY DISABLE Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction. Even for previewing. FOREVER. How can I permanently turn off this "feature" (or serious bug, depending on your perspective)? I have no use for it whatsoever. Some of these graphics have been around for years and years, and we never had this problem back with Photoshop 5 or 7. It’s just been since we started using the CS versions that it started.

I already tried looking in the Photoshop Prefs, and didn’t see anything. And I’ve tried a rather extensive web search with no luck. I also tried looking for some kind of setting in the Windows Registry, and didn’t see anything useful there, either.

How the heck do I make it go away? At first it was just annoying, but I’m now at the point where it’s downright driving me crazy!!!
MJ
Mikkel_Juul_Jensen
Jan 14, 2009
Hello Janelle H

I just deleted all but the "Square" ratio – now it dosent even ask on opening. Choose View > Pixel Aspect Ratio > Delete Pixel Aspect Ratio and select the ones you dont need 🙂

Mikkel J
JH
Janelle_H
Feb 23, 2009
Mikkel,

It took me several days to find the setting you were talking about, but I ran across it today by accident. In my version of Photoshop, it’s under Image instead of View.
Unfortunately, it didn’t help. I deleted all the aspect ratios, but when I open up one of those graphics, it just says it’s a Custom Aspect Ratio, and continues to display wrong.

Anybody have another idea?
NB
Nicole_Brennan
Mar 2, 2009
I’m having the same problem. I just tried out image > pixel aspect ratio > reset pixel aspect ratios. Seems to be working so far.
PZ
Ping Zheng
Mar 3, 2009
Does the "Don’t show again" checkbox on the warning dialog not work?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections