AP
Posted By
Aaron_Prince
Jun 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Full apologies in advance if this has been covered already, but I did use the search to locate an answer.

Anyway, my problem so far is that when I try to crop an image I get the error, "Could not complete your request because the scratch disks are full."

Now, I don’t have a separate drive for a scratch disk, but I’ve never had to do so in the past. I don’t work with enormous files so it has not been an issue. I read the single knowledge base item they had pertaining to scratch disks and that was thoroughly underwhelming.

I did try to create a small, temporary image to clear purge the scratch disk. I also tried the purge command within Photoshop itself to no avail. I’ll also be installing another hard disk though this seems really unneccesary.

Has anyone encountered and sorted out this issue? If so your guidance would be appreciated.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JF
Jerry_Farnsworth
Jun 1, 2005
:

Has anyone encountered and sorted out this issue?

Of course. It was because I was out of disk space, as the error message indicates.

Did you actually check to see if you were out of space, or are you simply assuming you weren’t?
S
SpaceGirl
Jun 1, 2005
wrote:
Full apologies in advance if this has been covered already, but I did use the search to locate an answer.

Anyway, my problem so far is that when I try to crop an image I get the error, "Could not complete your request because the scratch disks are full."

Now, I don’t have a separate drive for a scratch disk, but I’ve never had to do so in the past. I don’t work with enormous files so it has not been an issue. I read the single knowledge base item they had pertaining to scratch disks and that was thoroughly underwhelming.

I did try to create a small, temporary image to clear purge the scratch disk. I also tried the purge command within Photoshop itself to no avail. I’ll also be installing another hard disk though this seems really unneccesary.

Has anyone encountered and sorted out this issue? If so your guidance would be appreciated.

How much disk space do you have free?

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
# remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
AP
Aaron_Prince
Jun 2, 2005
Jerry, unfortunately for you this isn’t my first day on the PC. So while your response was nice to see that people read these issues, it was all together unhelpful.

* *UPDATE** I’ve added another hard drive and now the problem at this point is apparent with the crop tool. After I added the drive, formatted it (that one’s for you Jerry), assigned it as the one and only scratch disk, and restarting Photoshop the problem progressed

Upon attempting to execute the desired crop (mind you this isn’t a large image 3-4 megs max) I got a progress bar that just froze. Checking the task manager showed that Photoshop had indeed quit responding.

My previous version of Photoshop (7.0.1) never had such problems so this has me stymied.
BL
Bob Levine
Jun 2, 2005
You’re not going to get a whole lot of help with that attitude. At no point did you tell us how much free space was on your drive.

Apparently you original post saying that any guidance would be appreciated wasn’t all that true.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 2, 2005
are you trying to crop to something like 600 pixels ("600px") and left out the "px" after the 600? if you do that it might be trying to crop to 600 inches and you’ll run out of scratch space that way. or memory. make sure the memory is set to around 55% in prefrences.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 2, 2005
Most likely you are resampling while cropping, and chose settings that would make a HUGE file. It’s a common mistake.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 2, 2005
nobody reads post #4! 🙂
DR
Donald_Reese
Jun 2, 2005
I read it dave.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 2, 2005
heh! thanks don! 🙂
AP
Aaron_Prince
Jun 2, 2005
Dave, that’s an excellent thing to check and I didn’t even consider that. Most likely it’s trying to crop at 1024" (vs. px) across at 96 dpi which would indeed result in a ginormous file.

That’s definitely the kind of help I was looking for. I was hoping it was something simple that I’d overlooked rather than software issues. I like to avoid tech calls whenever possible.

Especially considering how much more embarrassing it would have been to learn this solution over the phone at $25/issue. 🙂
I
ID._Awe
Jun 2, 2005
I read all Dave’s posts.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 2, 2005
cool beans aaron. hope it works out.

I read all Dave’s posts.

aw shucks, id awe. even the goofy ones? 🙂
LM
Lynch_Mike
Jun 3, 2005
especially them ones
JF
Jerry_Farnsworth
Jun 4, 2005
:

Jerry, unfortunately for you this isn’t my first day on the PC. So while your response was nice to see that people read these issues, it was all together unhelpful.

<shrug> Nothing unfortunate for me if you don’t confirm that you’ve actually eliminated the most obvious cause, Aaron.

In getting any further responses, this piece may well be unfortunate for *you*, though.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections