Posted By
anne_sillett
May 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 19, 2004
Not enough info.

What version of Photoshop? Is the image on its own layer? Do you want a drop shadow on an object or a wole image area (rectangle)?

Photoshop can make drop shadows as part of its Layer Styles feature. Double-click on the layer in the Layers Palette to get the dialog. But it would be good to know what exactly you want to do.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 19, 2004
I’d promote the background to its own layer (double-click on the background layer), enlarge the canvas (Image>canvas size). Then, add a drop shadow layer style.
AS
anne_sillett
May 19, 2004
That was a quick response. I am using Photoshop 6.0.1.
I would like to know how to add a drop shadow to a whole image area as well as an image without a background. If you could help I would be most grateful. I have tried to add drop shadow by enlarging canvas but this creates a white shadow behind the image – not what i want.
The image that I am working on at the moment is a cut out of a bird which is on one layer and I would like to add a drop shadow all around the bird.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 19, 2004
If it is on its own layer, you just need to add a drop shadow layer style … You may try with an outer glow if you want to have it all around the image… (remember to change the blending mode to multiply, and the colour to black)

I don’t understand how you get a white shadow by enlarging the canvas… do you get a white feathered area? Then, are you sure that you have not changed the color of the drop shadow to white, and the blending mode to normal or screen?

Looking in the user guide, or performing a Google search might help you on the meantime!
KN
Ken_Nielsen
May 19, 2004
anne, typing in "Photoshop drop shadow tutorial" into your web browser will produce 23,300 results. That should be enough to get you started.

Here is one of them:

<http://tiemdesign.com/HOWTO/2002/December/PSDS/>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections