GH
Posted By
Gregory_Hart
Nov 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am contemplating the purchase of a tablet for use with Photoshop Elements 2. I would like some feedback on how well the graphire line would work for basic photoediting such as selecting photograph sections and dust/scratch removal. When I look on the WACOM page the only line that is suggested for dust removal is the Intuos line?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 3, 2003
Gregory,

I know of no reason that a Graphire would not be suitable for the purposes you describe.

I think that, in general, the Intuos line is "better" because it is more sensitive (1024 vs 512 pressure levels). But I don’t know if I could see the difference between two of the 512 levels, let alone half of the difference.

The Intuos has some dedicated tablet area for function buttons, which looks nice. It also is sensitive to pen angle, which the Graphire is not. There may also be a greater variety of tools available to work with on the Intuos, whereas, I believe, the Graphire only works with the pen/stylus.

Although I’ve never used an Intuos, I have no regrets about purchasing my Graphire2 4×5.

Byron
GS
George_Slusher
Nov 5, 2003
There may also be a greater variety of tools available to work with on the Intuos, whereas, I believe, the Graphire only works with the pen/stylus.

The Graphire also has a mouse, for whatever that’s worth.
R
RobertHJones
Nov 5, 2003
Gregory,

I have the graphire 4×5 tablet and it is entirely adequate for all those tasks and more.

Wacom has now introduced a new 6×8 graphire tablet (at double the cost of the graphire 4×5, and the same as the 4×5 Intuos) for those that want a larger sized tablet.

I’ve found 4×5 to be entirely workable and don’t need a larger tablet. But, as they say, "your milage may vary."

The Intuos has a higher resolution in both positioning and pressure and can even detect the angle you’re holding the pen. If you are a graphics artist drawing original art by hand, this may give you an advantage. However, I’ve never felt I needed those extras and the 512 resolution feels adequate to me.
MB
margaret_brock
Nov 5, 2003
If you have enough money to spare, buy and Intuos; if you need the functions available on an Intuos that are not available on a Graphire, you’re not likely using Photoshop Elements.

I’ve had the original Graphire for years and used it exclusively after injuries in a bad car accident made it painful and difficult for me to use a regular mouse (I had to learn to use it left-handed because I couldn’t use my right arm)

I continued to use it for photo editing and it did a commendable job. Recently, I was away from home with my laptop and the Graphire tablet but no stylus (the stylus was on the desk at home) so I treated myself to a new Grahpire III and am really pleased with it.

The new Graphire III seems much smoother and more accurate than the old one. I like it!!

Margaret
KW
Ken_Wolin
Nov 8, 2003
Does Wacom have a retail outlet somewhere in the Los Angeles area where I can try both the Graphire and the Intuos? I’ve never used a tablet before and, although I’ve read some positive testimonials to their use, would love to see if it’s worth the $200 or so price.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 8, 2003
Do you have a CompUSA? According to the Wacom site, they carry them, although I don’t know how big the selection would be. Also, if you go to the Wacom site, there is a way to see a list of retail outlets.
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 8, 2003
Ken,

I’m north of you by a few hundred miles (Stockton area), and the Wacom tablets are carried in CompUSA and, just recently, I’ve seen the Graphire in Best Buy.

Neither store, though, has them opened where you can fiddle with them, like they do with the various mice.

Byron
KW
Ken_Wolin
Nov 8, 2003
I’m right near a few of the major CompUSA/BestBuy/OfficeDepot-ish places, but I’m really looking for a place where I can pick up a stylus to see and feel what it’s all about.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 8, 2003
Ken, I’m not sure about the new Wacom tablets, but my son brought me an older Wacom last week that he wasn’t using any more. The stylus with that one looks just like a ballpoint pen and is almost exactly the same size, too. I’m still getting used to it and finding it’s a little bit difficult for me to control. Of course it’s already been determined that I’m weird, so you’d probably love it! 🙂
KW
Ken_Wolin
Nov 9, 2003
Beth, did your son bring you his old Wacom because he liked it enough to buy a new one or because he gave up on it and figured you could get more out of it than he?
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 9, 2003
Neither of the above, actually. He said it was fun and easy to use, but he’s got so many other projects going that the Wacom was just sitting in a drawer. Since he hadn’t used it in a couple of years, he knew I’d get more out of it than him.
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 10, 2003
Beth,

No, you’re not weird. I have the same trouble with my 4×5 Tablet and Stylus. Mine was packaged with an IBM Microdrive made by some manufacturer under license. There was no instruction manual except for a disk for the driver, which was really out of date. Downloading an update driver crashed my puter, twice. Addtional attempts turned out the same way. Maneuvering the Stylus on the Tablet was like trying to paint on a wall with a soft string and, when it finally caught some traction, the cursor darts around disproportionate to the Stylus travel and not always in the direction I wanted! These days, the Tablet takes the place of honor on my teeny desktop as my mouse pad. :}

Shan
R
Ray
Nov 10, 2003
Beth,

Have you calibrated your tablet for your own pressure sensitivity? I don’t know where they put it on a Mac, but for Windows, it’s in the control panel. Also, if the tablet is too close to the monitor (within 6 inches or less), the cursor will jump around when both using and not using it. If
it’s your case, move asside a little.

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 10, 2003
Thanks for the tip about calibrating the sensitivity. I’ll see if I can find any way to do it, although this tablet is pretty old in "tech years" (which are even worse than dog years in terms of aging.) I know it’s not too close to the monitor, because the monitor hangs on the wall. 🙂
R
Ray
Nov 10, 2003
Talking about old tables, mine will turn 4 y.o. in next year I think. As long as you got the latest
drivers, I think you’ll be safe Beth.

Ray
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 10, 2003
Ray,

My computer crashed each time I downloaded the Wacom Tablet driver update. Maybe I got the wrong one. My 4"x5" Tablet is almost three years old, Model ET-0405A-U, and I suspect is the same one you have.
Could you please let me know which Driver you downloaded? Please email me at:- Thanks.

Shan
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 10, 2003
Wow, the model number for mine is really close to that – CT 0405 -U. Interesting. Of course I’m not going to send you the link to the driver I use, because I’ve got a Mac. Hopefully Ray will help on this.
R
Ray
Nov 10, 2003
Shan, I sent you a note a few seconds ago.
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 12, 2003
Ray, got your email. Thanks.

Shan
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 13, 2003
Ray.

Forgot to mention. I emailed back to you also. Thanks.

Shan
R
Ray
Nov 13, 2003
That’s ok, I answered (I think.. ?)

Ray
KW
Ken_Wolin
Nov 15, 2003
Not to belabor this thread, but I’m still considering a Wacom tablet and am willing to spend the $200 it takes for either the Graphire 3 (6" X 8") or the Intuos 2? (4" X 5"). For those of you familiar with either or both… any suggestions?

By the way, I’m planning on using it exclusively for PE2 and the occasional signature in MS Word.

Thanks,

Kenny
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 15, 2003
I’ve got the smaller 4×5 Graphire2 and wouldn’t be without it – I don’t find the small size a problem at all, and it’s much easier on my wrists than using a mouse all the time. Everyone I’ve heard who uses an intuos reckons they are much better than a graphire – but to be honest I find it hard to imagine how the performance could be improved (yes I’m a fan – I actually use tablet and pen for a lot of my tasks, not just grahics, as it is so much less of a strain)
Susan S.
KW
Ken_Wolin
Nov 15, 2003
Susan-

Thanks so much for your reply. I’ve got an 18" monitor; would that mean a 6 x 8 tablet would be a better choice or does it really matter?

Now is there anyone out there in favor of the Intuos?

——- Kenny
R
Ray
Nov 15, 2003
Kenny,

Intuos are Wacom higher end graphic tablet. 1024 pressure level (instead of 512), customizable buttons, etc. Unless you are really serious about your art, I’d say you’ll be ok with the Graphire
3. I have a 4×5 (had for more than 3 years now), and I find it a little too small these days. The
new 6×8 Graphire3 would fit just nicely on my desk, and would give a few extra inches of work space.

If you can afford the Intuos, then of course, go for it. But, if you like to get your money’s worth
and don’t like paying for things you might not use, then go for the Graphire.

Ray
KW
Ken_Wolin
Nov 15, 2003
Beth… Susan… Ray… and everyone who provides such great assistance on this forum:

THANKS!

—— Kenny

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections