JF
Posted By
Jason_Fellers
May 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using PS 7 on 10.3- problem is: open a tif, make minor changes (ie- resize it), go to save it, but the save option is grayed out. I have to to do a Save As instead. Anyone have similar problems &/or a fix.
thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
May 18, 2004
Are you opening files from a CD or other removable media or over a network? Don’t.

Copy the closed file to your hard drive first, open it there and save it there too.

Did you read the FAQs?

Did you update to Photoshop7.0.1 and OS X 10.3.3?
JF
Jason_Fellers
May 18, 2004
Thanks for the reply.
I have skimmed the Top Issues but hadn’t seen anything that looked like it applied. OS X and PS are up to date. I had been opening the files from a network, so I copied them to the desktop, but got the same results. I’m beginning to think I might try just trashing & reinstalling PS. Any other ideas?
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
Is the file locked? Click once on the file inside your folder and do Command-i. See if it’s locked.
R
Ram
May 18, 2004
Jason,

Re opening files over a network: DON’T!

Read post #1 in this thread and the links therein:

Ramón G Castañeda "Could not open "file name" because it is not the right kind of document" 5/6/04 12:47pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>

Linda is right. Your file may be locked.

Nevertheless, the above still applies, DO NOT open or save files over a network.
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
I’m Linda. 😉
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 18, 2004
I can’t take credit for that one — that was Linda’s suggestion.

:~)
R
Ram
May 18, 2004
My most abject apologies to both of you. I’ve corrected my blunder.
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
Not a problem. If I didn’t say it, Ann probably would have. 🙂
JF
Jason_Fellers
May 18, 2004
Haven’t ever had network trouble before (previously using OS 9 for a long time)- is this an OS X thing or have I just been lucky all these years?
R
Ram
May 18, 2004
Jason,

If you read the thread and the Adobe tech document, you’ll see that the problem is unpredictable and uncertain because of the many variables involved in networks. It’s neither an OS issue nor a Photoshop issue –it’s a network issue.

Yes. you’re lucky. 🙂
JF
Jason_Fellers
May 18, 2004
Thank you all for the input- I’ve messed around with it some more.

I have copied files to my HD and checked to make sure they’re not locked.

Open file one, adjust levels, close file- get a prompt to save (everything working as it should).

Open file two, resize image, close file- file closes w/o prompt or save (nor can I select SAVE from the menu-have to do a SAVE AS).

Anyone have any ideas why changing levels works, and resizing image does not?
B
Buko
May 18, 2004
Permissions

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections