A
Posted By
ajpn
May 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have searched this site as well as google, and I have found others having the same problem, but no solution. I just got CS2, and in my prior experience with Photoshop I was able to see different information on the status bar. I liked that. Now I can see things on the status bar of the image that is open, which I may vary, but not in the main window, which I prefer. I used to be able to go on the file menu, to Window, and check Status bar, in order to see this. Not any more. Why not?

Sure Photoshop help has an ‘about’ page in it for the status bar, and tells me how useful it is, but it doesn’t tell me how to turn it on.

So, am I stuck having to look up at the file bar, or can I get it to be like the version (7.0) I used to know and love, and have my info on the actual status bar.

Thank you.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 28, 2005
Look at the base of each image window…the status bar has been moved there.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 28, 2005
Some info also migrated to the… info palette.
D
deebs
May 28, 2005
I share the dilemma

My CS2 Tryout expired today

hey-ho 🙁
A
ajpn
May 28, 2005
Read my post.

In my post I mention that the info is visible at the base of the file you are working with. That is not working for me, sorry.

The thing is this. If you are working with a file in Photoshop and you do an action that involves several filters running that take up to several minutes to complete, and at the same time you are watching a negative scan with, say Vuescan, the info at the base of the page is convenient, because one window over lapping the other will not interfere with the status bar, and I can see when the action is complete.

This way it is now, is totally unacceptable. I need an option to move that information to the base of the status bar.

Is that possible, or have they screwed up my program unconditionally? I have a feeling I know the answer.

I hope someone is listening that works at Adobe.
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 28, 2005
It’s still not clear what functionality you "think" you’ve lost (i.e. what item in the status bar is missing and can’t be found elsewhere).?

The status bar is now part of the image (you know that), but unlike previous versions of Photoshop you can now roll back/up the Photoshop desktop and have the image window overlaying the Windows desktop. So if you have Vuescan making a scan and the image beneath it you can still see what’s happening with/to your image. You can even drag the Photoshop progress bar to your preferred location so that it too can be seen at all times.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 28, 2005
ajpn,

Indeed, I read your post too quickly and missed that you realized some status info is at the base of the image. I think if you follow Ian’s suggestion you’ll find it works pretty well.

Daryl
C
chrisjbirchall
May 28, 2005
It’s just a different way of doing things. Get to know it. Get to love it. The new way is just so much more versatile.
A
ajpn
May 28, 2005
The problem is this:

|_______________________|
|______________________|

(addendum – the image is not right, but image two windows being open, one overlapping the other. The status bar on the rear window is visible)

The upper window is my Vuescan software. The lower is Photoshop (in rear). I can see the status bar like this and watch the progress of my work (as an example – an action that may take one or two minutes to complete). I cannot when the status bar is up a couple of inches on the file. Does that make sence?

I want the file information, ie the filter that is in process, to show in the status bar of the main window. Not in the file window.
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 28, 2005
I want the file information, ie the filter that is in process, to show in the status bar of the main window. Not in the file window.

The actual filter, etc that’s in process is on the top of the image window not the bottom
DM
dave_milbut
May 29, 2005
I think he’s looking for the progress bar. there’s a reg hack in the goodies folder to always set it on. i think that’s a pain, but it might help you out of your current delima.
A
ajpn
May 29, 2005
This reg hack… how is this accomplished. I’d be willing to try just about anything. And thanks for the suggestions everyone.
C
chrisjbirchall
May 29, 2005
It’s in the Goodies folder of your CD, along with a readme file on how to use it. (very simple).

It does mean the progress bar appears for (almost) every operation. This sometimes means it flicks up on the screen for a fraction of a second! To brief to be of any use and it can become annoying.

A better "goodie" would have been an facility to alter the "8 seconds" threshold.

Chris.
C
chrisjbirchall
May 29, 2005
Reading back through the posts, I get the impression you might get more value out of repositioning the info palette as a lot of status information has been relocated there.
A
ajpn
May 29, 2005
Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll have to live with it.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 29, 2005
ajpn, I tried to move the progress bar, but it always appears in the middle of the screen. I guess that what you need is to be able to reposition the progress bar, so that it is visible if another app is not maximized?

BTW, do try the roll up background! it is more useful than you think!
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 1, 2005
And note that you can display status text in the info palette as well.
A
ajpn
Jun 1, 2005
Thank you to all for the suggestions.

My opinion on this is that I am unhappy with this part of the interface. As far as the comment that I should grow to love it? Not going to happen. I do like many of the changes to CS2, but the entire concept of multiple windows has been wrecked, and in my opinion, someone obviously wasn’t thinking.

I think the name of the game is to increase the ease of multi-tasking… no hinder it.

Love it? yeah right.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 1, 2005
I like the fact that CS2 allows one to have images open independent of the CS2 window size, and accept that this makes the status bar in the bottom of the CS2 window obsolete. Most of the information that was in the status bar is now in the info pallette and works well there — better, in fact, than in the CS status bar, since one can now view multiple status items. However, the loss of the progress bar, in the form it took in CS’s status bar, is unfortunate, since it doesn’t appear in the info pallette or in any other existing window, but pops up for a while, sometimes — and if it doesn’t pop up or during the delay until it does, we don’t get any useful feedback telling us that something we want to happen is happening. Often, we don’t even get an hourglass cursor warning us that something is underway!

I would like to see the progress meter installed in the bottom of the active document window, even if only a couple of pixels wide, and it should always appear while an operation is in progress, not just after a delay. Putting it there would avoid the disruption to the screen occurring from a separate dialog but would give one immediate feedback while taking up little screen real estate.
M
Monolandscapes
Jun 1, 2005
Double clicking on the title bar of the Photoshop image window puts the status bar at the base of the screen – as in previous versions of Photoshop.

Does that help?
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 2, 2005
Monolandscapes — double clicking on the application title bar maximizes the application, and double clicking on an image’s title bar maximizes the image within the application window. And there’s always a status bar at the base of the image window; it moves to the base of the application window when the image is maximized. In none of these status bars, however, is there a progress meter, as there was in CS.
A
ajpn
Jun 2, 2005
MLS and MDS – That will work better than the other suggestions, but it’s still annoying to me. I don’t know. It seems like in every application I use I am used to having a status bar displaying assorted info, including on web pages, et al.

I’ve already expressed my dismay enough though.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I’m done here.
RG
Rick_Groom
Jun 8, 2005
Is there any way to move the "progress bar" back to the bottom of the file? I want to see the blue bar moving at tne bottom instead of right in the middle of my screen. What was the Idea of moving it?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections