Is photoshop CS AMD Athlon 64 compatible?

OM
Posted By
Oliver_Mould
May 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Guys,

SP2 is designed to handle buffer overrun issues as seen in many viruses. If a (poorly written) application tries to execute from the "data" area of memory the processor stops it. This happens with all AMD64 processors and new Intel "J" spec processors. This is called Data Execution Prevention [DEP] (and also NX [No Execute] or XD [eXecute Disable] or EVP [Enhanced Virus Protection]).

In the 32-bit version of XP Pro SP2 you get the option to add said app to an exclusion list. If you upgrade to the 64-bit version you will not get that option – it simply will not run. The problem is the application and the company that wrote it needs to make sure it executes from the "application" space in memory. Get to it Adobe.

I get an error trying to install Acrobat Reader 7.0 on my AMD64 machine with SP2. Anyway, reading the forums on all the other possible issues with 7.0 I may just stay with 6.x anyway….

IMHO Microsoft did not "drop a stink bomb" – they have acted professionally in attempting to prevent a) poorly written apps from being used and b) approx 50% of the viruses in the wild at the moment. [BTW we use Linux and MS products so have no axe to grind]

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
May 25, 2005
Oliver – fortunately Photoshop CS2 has been extensively tested on AMD 64 chips, and hasn’t shown any problems.

Photoshop CS was also tested, but had a few very rare buffer overrun bugs.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections