OK
Posted By
odysseas_kanenas
May 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is most commonly due to installing Photoshop CS before doing an archive and install of Mac OS10.3.
The easiest solution is to reinstall Photoshop CS after you have installed Mac OS10.3. —————————
Another solution courtesy Anne Shelbourne
Open your Previous System folder.
Find "Adobe Unit Types".
Copy it into: <Panther volume>\Library\Scripting Additions\ .

I INSTALLED PHOTOSHOP, AFTER HAVING INSTALLED OSX 3.3
AND I HAVE NO PREVIOUS SYSTEM OR "ADOBE UNIT TYPES" TO COPY INTO <Panther volume>\Library\Scripting Additions\ (I HAVE NO "SCRIPTING ADDITIONS" FOLDER EITHER!!!
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHATS GOING ON WITH CS????

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
May 13, 2004
Ummm…Hunh?
SW
Scott_Weichert
May 13, 2004
…..
T
Todie
May 13, 2004
Try the CS browser until you charm someone to help you or help yourself!
B
Buko
May 13, 2004
Shouting at other users isn’t the best way to make friends and get them to help you. step back from the computer take your meds and when they’ve kicked in and you are relaxed and in a better frame of mind maybe sombody will help you.
OK
odysseas_kanenas
May 13, 2004
hey guys you misunderstood me…
in Greece we use capital letters in order to make our message different from someone others paragraph that is included in our letter.There was no shouting, nor yelling, just an attempt to find out whats going on with photoshop cs. really apologize if I hurted someones feelings… still, as I cant "help myself", I am still looking for help here.
B
Buko
May 13, 2004
All caps is considered shouting and many rude people come in hear and just shout.

Now to your problem.
Double clicking does work, I do it all the time.
What exactly have you done to trouble shoot?

have you repaired permissions?

have you re-prebound your system?
OK
odysseas_kanenas
May 14, 2004
I have done all that with no result, and after that I have also trashed photoshop preferences and reinstalled it. No soloution. 🙁
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 14, 2004
Did you trash your Photoshop Prefs. BEFORE re-installing Photoshop — and did you run Repair Permissions again AFTER installing PS?
OK
odysseas_kanenas
May 14, 2004
I did exactly as you wrote Ann! I have also run disk warrior and still double-clicking the file (any photoshop file-tif-eps-jpg-etc.) opens the application and not the file. Even dragging the file onto the dock doesnt open it 🙁
When I trashed photoshop cs along with its preferences, double-clicked files opened normally witj photoshop 7, which I have also in my Mac. When I installed photoshop cs, these files opened the cs application but didnt open themselves. I dont know if it has something to do with the central european version, or if the problem appears in any version of cs.
PB
Peter_Boyle
May 14, 2004
I came here this morning with the same issue. Brand new system (G5 1.8 dual processors with OS10.3 factory installed, upgrade version of Adobe CS). I’m in Texas, so it’s not a Central European problem…
KG
Kerry_Graham
May 15, 2004
I’m having the same problem. I can only open up files from within Photoshop CS by going to the File Menu (or "Browse") and getting to the TIF/PSD/JPG/etc files that way. I can’t double-click from within the Finder, or Drag & Drop onto the Photoshop Icon in the Dock.

I’m in Texas, too!
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
Peter and Kerry,

Did you try both possible solutions mentioned in the earlier posts in this thread and in the link provided therein? You don’t mention that.
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
Did you read this FAQ?

Scott Weichert "Double clicking/drag and drop Photoshop files opens application but not file." 2/10/04 10:05am </cgi-bin/webx?50>
OK
odysseas_kanenas
May 17, 2004
reading the above FAQ, certainly does not help…as it seems we’ll have to wait for Photoshop 8.0.1 update or something like that. I only hope that it wont take long for adobe to release it…:(
R
Ram
May 17, 2004

[Deleted] Never mind.
R
rbaez
May 17, 2004
I have the same trouble, try to double click on a PS
archive and it does not opens, but if I try again once or twice it opens the file.

ricardo
Did you read this FAQ?

Scott Weichert "Double clicking/drag and drop Photoshop files opens application but not file." 2/10/04 10:05am </cgi-bin/webx?50>
KG
Kerry_Graham
May 17, 2004
I finally trashed all things Photoshop and reinstalled from the CD. Everything appears to be working now. What a hassle, but it’s over now. Thanks, all!
R
Ram
May 18, 2004
I’m glad you got it working, Kerry.

Let’s hope now that Odysseas Kanenas follows the advice given here after reading your message.

Are you listening, Odysseas Kanenas? Trash everything related to Photoshop before re-installing it.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 18, 2004
Just had similar problem with PS 7.0.1and OS 9.2.2. It happened just now.

I drag a PictureViewer doc onto the alias of PS 7 on my desktop and the file disappears. The alias opens as a folder with several files and folders with PS already opened. It didn’t do this last night during a lengthy edit session.

I wonder if it was because I just saved for the first time a custom curve into the PS folder within a new folder I created named saved curves. I say this because I’ve been doing long drawn out edits and quiting then opening, then quiting with no problems. Then I create this custom curve and this happens.

Does the same fix for OS X work in OS 9.2.2?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 18, 2004
no and no.

It’s a packaging bug in OS 9.2.2 and it’s intermittent depending upon how the machine boots.

nice!
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 18, 2004
Thanks Mike,

I read this happening in the past posts and didn’t save the thread. After a lengthy search (You really have to use the right words to use Adobe’s search engine), I found this link.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.1de9a7f8>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 18, 2004
I believe this may relate to the way that you made the Photoshop Alias in the first place.

As I remember it, if you are using 9.2.2:
Go to the Photoshop 7 icon and Control-click on it and choose "Show Package Contents". Make your Alias from the Photoshop icon that you NOW see (inside the Package).
[You will also find your "lost" file inside the Package — pull it back onto your Desktop.]

Now Control-click on the Photoshop icon again and choose "Hide Package Contents".
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 18, 2004
Thanks, Ann.

I guess this little feature is mentioned in the manual? The post I referenced mentioned finding it there. I hope not. Having to read the entire manual just to find this seems unrealistic.

Who has the time with all this upgrading and expect to find time to read the entire manual? I guess this is why one has to keep up or get left behind. Livelihoods depend on it.
MD
Mark_Douma
May 18, 2004
"Another solution courtesy Anne Shelbourne Open your Previous System folder. Find "Adobe Unit Types".
Copy it into: <Panther volume>\Library\Scripting Additions\ ."

It’d really be nice if someone could update that FAQ so it’s actually accurate.

First of all, this isn’t Windows, this is a Mac, where we usually use a ‘/’ (or a ‘:’ for you purists :-P), not a ‘\’ to denote the path separator. For example: /Library/ScriptingAdditions/ <file:///Library/ScriptingAdditions/>

Also, the name of the folder is "ScriptingAdditions", not "Scripting Additions"—the space, or lack thereof, does matter. If you were to put your "Adobe Unit Types" scripting addition in a "Scripting Additions" folder, it wouldn’t be recognized by the System.

Hope this helps….
B
Buko
May 18, 2004
That better??
I
istvan54
May 19, 2004
I had the same problem when I installed Adobe CS CE version – this don`t create the folder ScriptingAdditions… but the International Englis made it! First I installed IE version, after deleted and installed the CE – now it`s works.
OK
odysseas_kanenas
May 19, 2004
At last istvan!!
you solved the problem! Photoshop CS CE actually does NOT create the "famous" "ScriptingAdditions" folder inside the Library. So one has to install Photoshop CS IE, then trash it 🙂
and then reinstall the CE edition, and everything works fine!!! By God, Adobe invented the most peculiar and annoying installation procedure possible. Thanks for all the trouble I went through, all the search, and all the non-productive time I wasted, Adobe!

As you see Ramón G Castañeda, it was a little bit more complicated than all other suggestions suggested. I’ve been working with macs and adobe programs for more than 14 years now and still adobe keeps surprising me 🙂
CC
Chris_Cox
May 19, 2004
Adobe didn’t create the CE or ME installer – WinSoft creates that, and provides support for the CE and ME editions.
R
Ram
May 20, 2004
Sorry, odysseas kanenas. I never read in any of your posts that you had installed Photoshop CE. I now see that there is a mention of “CE” in the title thread only, which I misinterpreted to be a typo for CIE (as in CIE Lab files).

That would have been a red flag right there and would have prompted me to ask what exact (international) version of the OS you are using.
PF
Peter_Frew
May 26, 2004
I am having the exact same issue. Running Jaguar on my dual G4 1GB, no problems. Once I upgraded to Panther, double clicking an image icon opens the application Photoshop CS, but not the file. To see the image, I must use either use File-Open-then select the image, or use the File Browser. I’ll try the various solutions suggested in this forum tomorrow.
B
Buko
May 26, 2004
Peter read the FAQs.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections