K
Posted By
KennyG
May 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I have been lately experiencing type 3 error program crashes and its driving me nuts… It happens in Photoshop, Illustrator and even other non adobe apps. I am running these apps on a Mac G3 400 Mhz running OS 9.1 and I do not want to update to 9.2 due to the many problems I have had with that system… Is there anything that I can do about this. The OS system has recently been installed again and I am starting to think that I should start from scratch again being as I didnt do the update… Could use some advice on this subject…. THanks

Ken

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

K
KennyG
May 12, 2004
Also forgot to mention, that I am also having my whole system just freezing up while on desktop and nothing running just the OS… Could this be related or the cause of my other poblems??

Thanks
G
graffiti
May 12, 2004
Could be bad RAM.
GB
g_ballard
May 12, 2004
could be bad blocks
GB
g_ballard
May 12, 2004
If I had Type 3 errors on 9.1 (and problem didn’t clear with Mac Base extensions), I would Initialize with ZeroWrite option checked (adds 1hr per 10 GB), and StartFromScratch…

<http://www.gballard.net/macrant/meltdown.html>
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 12, 2004
Here are a couple of wild guesses: I read a while ago (don’t remember where) that it could be "not enough memory allocated to the application that crashes" or it could be incompatible software or software conflicts.

Did you install new software recently?
B
Buko
May 12, 2004
(.2.2 is much more stable than 9.1
R
Ram
May 12, 2004
Kenny,

Mac OS 9.2.2 is by far the best software release ever from Apple prior to Panther 10.3.3.

Any problems you may have had with 9.2.2 could easily be attributable to whatever is causing you problems now.

That being said, if you insist on 9.1, then you need to heed all the troubleshooting advice given here.

Most Apple error messages are too cryptic to be of any real value. The ones most commonly associated with memory issues are Type 1, 2 and 10 errors, but even that is still of questionable accuracy. Type 3 errors are often bus errors, which doesn’t help you much, I know.

You need to rule out any hardware problems, including the drive(s), RAM, connections, etc. Back up everything and write your hard drive to zeros. Then do a fresh install of the system. Install anything you can from the original install disks, especially fonts and applications. Don’t copy any of the old preference files back into your new System Folder; I know it’s a pain to have to add all your settings back the way you want them, but preference files often get corrupted, as do fonts.

Try starting up first with a bare-bones system. Check your RAM and all your cables.

I found that 9.x is a lot more stable if you disable the Control Strip extension and any files associated with it, as well as anything that has anything to do with Desktop Printers, including the Desktop Printer extension. I found that one can easily live without the meager added functionalities offered by those two trouble makers.

I was forced to move on to Panther because of many of the new features of Photoshop 8, but I still boot into straight, native Mac OS 9.2.2 for certain tasks, and, after the modifications noted above, I find 9.2.2 to be rock solid.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 12, 2004

9.2.2 is a trud OS.
GB
g_ballard
May 12, 2004
"trud" ?
R
Ram
May 12, 2004
Trud? As in Russian trud (labor)?

<http://www.trud.org/>
K
KennyG
May 12, 2004
How do I check for bad blocks???

Im not bashing 9.2 but other macs in our office using 9.2 has had major problems with all the software we run on these machines.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 12, 2004
yep

trud as in…
R
Ram
May 12, 2004
Kenny,

By erasing your hard drive and writing it to zeros, as mentioned above and in the link provided by G Ballard.
GB
g_ballard
May 12, 2004
MO) trud as in…

oh…
AW
Allen_Wicks
May 12, 2004
You don’t say, but rebuilding the desktop and verifying that memory allocations are rational would be the first and easiest thing to do. In the future if you have such a problem please carefully document all aspects of your hardware and software when you ask the question. Without detailed info folks cannot help except with guesses.
B
Buko
May 12, 2004
Do you still have these problems with extensions off??

you could also have an extension conflict.
R
RJBuck
May 13, 2004
This is from Apple’s web page:

Type 1, 2, and 3 errors are Mac OS memory-addressing errors. These are usually caused by incompatible software or software conflicts.

System software compatibility issues usually occur with older software. If your software falls into this category, contact the software vendor for an updated version of the software that works with your installed system software version.

Software application memory allocation may need to be increased to resolve the issue. See document 56042: "Mac OS: Troubleshooting Out of Memory Errors".

Hope this helps.

Bob
K
KennyG
May 14, 2004
I think I might of solved my error type 3 but im not sure… I removed a memory dimm and the system hasent had a crash of the type three for a few days now… I have had freezups though, im not sure if this is because im running on only 256mb now or ram… or if I have another problem that still exists. Thanks for all the help in this matter… if anyone has anything else to add I would much appriciate it…

Thanks

Ken
G
graffiti
May 14, 2004
I removed a memory dimm and the system hasent had a crash of the type three for a few days now

Who’s your daddy!!

Post #2 <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bb4133e> 🙂
GB
g_ballard
May 14, 2004
256 won’t cause freezes because that’s all installed (slow, but not flaky).

You still have something else going on…the Mac OS and Photoshop should be rock solid.
B
Buko
May 14, 2004
extension conflict

does it freeze up with extensions off??

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections