DV
Posted By
devidas_varga
May 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have adobe photoshop cd version 8.0 and am using XP Pro, late version Pentium 4 desktop with 1 gig of ram.

Question: I have many true type fonts available on my computer in MS word and other applications, however many of these same fonts are not showing up as options within photoshop. Any idea as to how to add them?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BL
Bob Levine
May 23, 2005
Are you sure they’re not showing up? Check the entire list. Photoshop reads the postscript name of the font and a font such as ITC Garamond would show up in the "G" list.

Bob
L
LenHewitt
May 24, 2005
Fonts in Illustrator and Photoshop are ordered alphabetically by writing script code, Roman fonts appearing in the first group and others in subsequent groupings below the first.

Many TTFonts have the incorrect writing script as many foundries were using a font creation program with a bug in it.

If you open the adobefnt*.LST (where * represents either nothing or a single digit numeral), file, you will find those problem fonts have an entry for:

writingscript : easteuropean (or Greek, Cyrillic or something other than Roman).

By editing the Adobefnt.lst file so those entries read writingscript: Roman, they will appear in the correct order and be usable. However, you will also need to set the adobefnt.lst file to read only, or it will revert when Illustrator is next opened. This means that Illustrator won’t see any additions or deletions to/from your active fonts.

The real cure is to get versions of those fonts that do not contain the bug.

Note: There can be numerous copies of Adobefnt*.LST files on your machine – there will be at least one in every folder that contains any font file.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections