SH
Posted By
Sandra_Honeyman
Oct 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please help!!! Cannot even open Elements 2 on XP after installation. Getting "the handle is invalid" when I click on the desktop icon. I’ve reinstalled in several times, same thing. Spent my last £69 on it and can’t even open the darned thing. Any help would be most gratefully recieved.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 28, 2003
In another post (which you read and posted to) the problem was tracked to a Wacom tablet. Do you have anything like that installed? It wouldn’t necessarily have to be a Wacom, but any other peripheral that’s out of the ordinary.
SH
Sandra_Honeyman
Oct 28, 2003
thanks for your reply. No I dont have a wacom tablet or anything out of the ordinary.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 28, 2003
Do you/did you have any anti-virus software running when you installed? Norton seems to be particularly touchy about interactions with Elements (all Adobe products, as a matter of fact.) If you did, disable the antivirus and try your installation again. And, when you do your uninstall, also make sure you do a Find and get rid of straggling files, like Elements Preferences.
M
mharris96
Oct 29, 2003
I just started setting up my new Core Micro PC [with Adobe Premier for Vid capture] and a Graphire3 tablet. Next step is to install PE2, which was on on old PC.

Based on the stream above, is there something I should know? Does PE2 fail consistently with the "handle is invalid" error, or was this an anomaly?
RC
Richard_Coencas
Oct 29, 2003
Anomaly.
WS
William_Schroth
Oct 31, 2003
PhotoShop Elements 2.0 was running fine, then 5 of the last 7 or 8 attempts to start the program has "frozen" the computer at the point where the Font sorting message is attempting to load. Control, alt. delete won’t restart the computer. I have un-installed the program and then re-installed it. That didn’t solve the problem.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 31, 2003
This sounds like it could be a font issue on your operating system. When Elements freezes while loading at a font "activity", that’s usually indicative of either a) too many fonts installed, or b) a corrupted font. Since you’re getting your freeze at font sorting, I’m thinking a corrupted one somewhere.

First, if you’ve got anything over about 200 fonts installed and active, try moving the excess into separate folders. They can be reinstalled later from that folder. Right now we’re interested in troubleshooting.

If you don’t have a huge number of fonts installed, or f you reduce the number of fonts and Elements still freezes, find a systematic way of removing them in groups. The goal is to isolate one that may be bad.
PD
Pete_D
Nov 1, 2003
Beth,

This does sound to be a font issue like you suggest.

I have a question; How do you identify which fonts are required by the operating system? (I know our moderator used to help people identify necessary fonts on older windows but have not seen that for a long time, certainly not since XP came out).

It is odd that this is an XP machine having the problem since the O S handles fonts differently than previous O S’s. (and better).

Pete
RC
Richard_Coencas
Nov 3, 2003
Pete,

Do a search of the forum. Bob Hill has posted a list of required system fonts many times in the past. Once you ID your system fonts the best way to narrow down which is the corrupted font is to take a binary approach and split the fonts into two groups. When you id which group contains the bad font, split that into two groups, and so on. Usually doesn’t take a ton of time to find the culprit, if you approach it in an organized fashion.

Rich
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 3, 2003
I think I found it, and – silly me – I had been looking for it on the Microsoft site, but it’s actually an Adobe tech doc.

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2a39e.htm>

Or at least I hope this is the right one!
WS
William_Schroth
Nov 3, 2003
To: Beth Haney

Thank you for your reply of 10/31/03 about my font problem. I was able to remove the bad font and now PS Elements is working again.

Thanks again.

Bill
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 3, 2003
Oooow! I’m gettin’ sooo good! It’s hard to tell I use a Mac, huh? 🙂 I’m glad you got it fixed, and thanks for reporting back, because that’s often helpful for other people to see that a particular suggestion worked.
PD
Pete_D
Nov 3, 2003
Beth

Thank you! I was curious about that list. And it sounds like the problem has been solved for Bill.

Rich,

I thought I read all forum posts but must have missed the XP font list ones.

Pete

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections