SL
Posted By
Scott_Lees
May 19, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently rediscovered some old backup data CD’s that I had made about 10 years ago and they contain some great collections of Photoshop files that I had accumulated in my graphic design days. Back in those days I was using a Mac (with a blistering 33Mhz processor that took hours to render some files!) with Photoshop 2.0 but for ‘corporate’ reasons I now use a Windows XP machine.

After finding these discs I used a program called "TransMac" to open the CD on my XP machine and transfered the files to my system. What I found was that while some of the files opened in newer versions of Photoshop (I tried both 5.5 and CS2 for comparison), most of the files wouldn’t open.

For the .pic files I got an error stating "Could not complete your request because the PICT is too complex to open on this computer. Photoshop Windows supports raster PICT files only."

For the .psd files (which is most of the ones that I want), I got an error stating "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop file".

Any thoughts on how I can get these files to open in a newer/windows version of Photoshop? I’d really like these files. Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BL
Bob Levine
May 19, 2005
Do you have anything besides Photoshop? I’ve seen CorelDRAW import PICT files that Photoshop can’t open. You could also try Illustrator.

Bob
R
Rastamon
May 19, 2005
Or Irfanview.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 19, 2005
The PSD files are almost certainly corrupt.

And the only sure way to render a vector PICT file is on a Macintosh.
TT
Toby_Thain
May 20, 2005
Send me <mailto:> (OS X, Linux, etc).

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections