RH
Posted By
Roger_Halstead
May 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using both Photoshop Elements 2 and Photoshop CS for some time. Last night I downloaded a bunch of NEF images from my D-70 and when I started CS I received the error message, "This application has failed to start because Asteroid6.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I tried and it didn’t. This problem in with both PE-2 and CS. A search shows Asteroid6.dll to be in the following locations: NkView6, Commonfiles\Nikon\Library, Commonfiles\Nikon\Uploader, NkView6\Nikon Editor, and NkView\Preview Creator.

Neither reinstalling/repairning, or uninstalling the original program and then reinstalling appears to change anything. I have not tried reinstalling PE-2 yet, or Nikon View. "I think" the program has just lost the path, to the common files in the registry, but I’d think a complete reinstallation would fix that. I’ve seen references to others having this problem, but have not been able to find the actual solutions.

Any suggestions.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
May 19, 2005
That isn’t a Photoshop DLL.

It has to belong to a third party plugin or driver.
It probably belongs to the (unnecessary) Nikon plugin that Nikon software installs in the Photoshop plugins folder behind your back.
RH
Roger_Halstead
May 19, 2005
I was fairly sure it belongs to at least one of Nikon apps as they were the only apps that had that dll (in previous post) I now have CS working even though the warning still shows. It looks like I may have to go into the registry and find the reference to Astroid6 which I think would be in the "one of" the CS registry directories.

I think you are right in Photoshop Elements 1 you had to install NikonView before it’d display the NEFs. That is not necessary with CS and I don’t think it is with PE-2. OTOH I did have to download the plugin for RAWs before CS would display NEFs.

BTW, I have my e-mail as text only so there was no link to this in the e-mail.

Thanks,
Roger

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections