GD
Posted By
Grant_Dixon
Oct 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sitting here with a work in progress and the question struck me I wonder how people set up their Workspace? So here is mine show me yours.

http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/WorkSpace.jpg

Grant

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 24, 2003
OK, I guess this is a good excuse to show you all why I like my PE1 so much ( other than what i hid withing the program 😉 ). Note the convienient tabs just above the screen. Note how the layers and styles are placed on the same palette for ease of use. Note the aliens that i started months ago and never finished 🙂

<http://www.mybizz.net/l/w/lwsfrye/workspace.jpg>
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 24, 2003
Jodi

The pallet well is sooooooooooooooooooooo huge.

g.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 24, 2003
I think that’s because she’s still using PSE 1. I had my copy of that open the other day and noticed how much bigger the pallet well is in PSE 1 than it is in PSE 2. Really nice; I miss that.

I’m not going to bother with a screen shot, because mine looks like Jodi’s, except with a narrower pallet well, and the desktop of my Mac in the background instead of the gray from Windows.

So, Grant, where do you keep your Tool Bar? I couldn’t see it.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 24, 2003
Beth

The tool bar is off to the left minimized. It is above the left hand scale at about the 1 tick. Just double click on the blue bar above the sun flower and it will appear.

g.
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 24, 2003
Here’s mine…

http://home.comcast.net/~hey-m0e/desktop.jpg

That wee palette hiding behind Layers is Info. I keep it there for quick reference, and because docking it with another palette causes havoc with the palette size.

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 24, 2003
Not room for much creativity in set up, is there? 🙂

OK, Grant, I did see that the first time but didn’t make the connection. I’ve never collapsed mine.
PD
Pete_D
Oct 24, 2003
Byron

You sure have a lot of little programs running. (task bar). Doesn’t they ever slow your computer down?

Pete
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Oct 24, 2003
I am showing my ignorance…how do you all send these pictures of your workspace? Are these what you call "screen shots?

How is it done…special software or what??? Thanks for any replies!

Glad Grant started this…like the way Ray has stacked his palettes. Have to try this idea. Also the way Grant temporarily retired his tools…anxious to see more! Do
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 24, 2003
Pete,

No doubt there is some performance impact by having so many things in the system tray.

Most of them, though, are outside my discretion. 5 are related to my laptop hardware (power mgmt, IR, PC-cards, drive bay, volume). 2 are Adaptec (pre-Roxio) CD burner controls. 2 are McAfee anti-Virus controls. 1 is my display properties control. 1 is PITA remote support/management software installed by my employer.

This machine is only a P-III 500, 256M — yet it manages to hold it’s own. Even running Win98SE, and leaving the PC on 24/7, I only have to reboot about once a week to keep the cobwebs from building up.

Byron
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 24, 2003
Dorothy,

Simply press on the PrintScreen key, then in Photoshop Elements, select File / New from clipboard. There it will be, a full picture of your screen. If you only want to have the current active screen (without the task bar, press and hold ALT and press on PrintScreen).

Ray
PD
Pete_D
Oct 25, 2003
Byron,

Just checking 🙂 …(you might not have known)

Pete

(Oh, and you also got a burst of laughter from me with the challenge thread post :~0)))

Pete
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 25, 2003
Here is my workspace, pardon the tomato worm on my desktop, but I love to take macro pictures of insects and flowers, and I use them for my desktops at random, I never know what I am going to see in the morning when I turn the Mac on.
<http://www.pbase.com/image/22616692/medium>
On a Mac, take a screen capture, then open it in PSE, here it is. This is fun,
Jane
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 25, 2003
I must admit I find this very fascinating and I am glad I through my pebble into the pond. I think the most interesting thing about this is how much everyone relies on levels. The level pallet was open in every Workspace. Show you how powerful a tool it is when everyone uses it.

g.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 25, 2003
Jane you beat me to it. I was thinking there were no Mac screen shots and that something just had to be done about that! 😉 So here’s mine. <http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/desktops/psedesktop.jpg>

And to elaborate on taking Mac screen shots, if you’re using OS X Command+Shift+4 allows you to select a particular area for the shot (like a window or menu) and Command+Shift+3 will take a shot of your entire screen.

Joe

EDIT: BTW that’s PSE and a bunch of other apps cruising right along in Panther. Mac people fork out the $129. It’s well worth it.
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Oct 25, 2003
Raymond…You came to my rescue! Eh? Thanks so much. Sounds simple enough for me to do it!

I am leaving early in AM driving to Indianapolis, In. (Indy) for a week of fun! It’s about 540 miles. I am sure I will have withdrawal affects (or effects?) because my host home doesn’t have a computer!

When I go to Phoenix or Naples (Florida) to visit I have a computer to use…one in my bedroom in Naples!!! How about that, eh? I caught that as Candaian right away. Many years ago I dated a hockey player from Moose Jaw, Saska…..can’t spell it! Really nice guy!

Enuf said…thanks again Ray. Do
KW
Kyle_White
Oct 25, 2003
This is too cool.

Here’s another Mac shot Joe. Still thumping along in Jaguar!

<http://www.pbase.com/image/22617795/large>

Also first time on PBASE, what a nifty site!

Kyle
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 25, 2003
So, with all the desktop patterns available, it looks like Joe, Kyle, and I are all using the same one!

Moosejaw is coool! 🙂 But I want to live in Whitehorse, YT. 🙁
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 25, 2003
Joe,

AKUS!!

Byron
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 25, 2003
Ok Byron I give up: what does AKUS stand for?

Kyle, Panther will make your old/new Mac feel really new (as in faster)! Go for it.

Joe
KW
Kyle_White
Oct 25, 2003
Beth: I bet you didn’t notice my desktop is a shade darker than Apple’s original! I used PSE2 to tone it down just a touch. Moosejaw is too flat and the motorcyling season too short in Whitehorse. I’m headed for the Kootenay’s in B.C. – – in about 6-1/2 years! ;-> (Ottawa is too flat/cold too!)

Joe: I was hoping to hold out until I could gather enough pennies for a Dual G5 – 3GHz (penny collection and IBM should hit at about the same time – a year from now!), but your, and other, comments have pushed over the line — shopping day tomorrow.

Kyle
LM
Lou_M
Oct 25, 2003
Grant: Looks like you’ve got one of those Windows security updates waiting to be run in your task bar. 🙂

Here’s my workspace:
<http://homepage.mac.com/dearg/PhotoAlbum4.html>

Notice the prominent "Hints" and How To" palettes. 🙂
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 25, 2003
Joe,

Sorry about that… I saw the CD cover art on your desktop and just presumed you knew them by the abbreviation. My "fo paw".

Alison Krauss & Union Station.

Byron
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 25, 2003
Byron

LOL! I was scratching my head trying to figure that one out. I was going through all my post short hand acronyms: AFAIK, BTW, LOL, etc. You had me stumped! 😉

Kyle, you’ll thank yourself for Panther. G5 eh? I’m afraid I’m at least a year and a whole lot of pennies away from a G5. Oh well, I’ll just dream for now.

Joe

EDIT:

Byron,

AKUS!!
KW
Kyle_White
Oct 25, 2003
Joe: I’ve got my first 1000 pennies together, 59,000 to go!

Kyle
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 25, 2003
Lou,

Did you take that shot you’re working on in the screen shot? It’s gorgeous!

Kyle,

Keep going man, you’ll get there! 😉

Joe
PD
Pete_D
Oct 25, 2003
Lou,

What program created web galleries (slide shows) on your web site?

Pete
KW
Kyle_White
Oct 25, 2003
Joe,

I won’t get there unless I learn how to count!

599,000 pennies to go! 🙁

Picking up Panther this morning! 🙂

K
KW
Kyle_White
Oct 25, 2003
Oh, wow, I finally cleaned my glasses.

Grant was actually after our "WOK" space! 🙂

<http://www.pbase.com/image/22628638/large>

K
R
Ray
Oct 25, 2003
Kyle, too funny !!! LOL !
B
bethC
Oct 25, 2003
Very cool Kyle!
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 25, 2003
Kyle

Seems I should have made this into a Challenge.

g.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 25, 2003
Kyle, you’re a genious !
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 25, 2003
Lou,

What program created web galleries (slide shows) on your web site?

Pete

Pete,

That’s Lou’s .Mac website created with Homepage, part of .Mac. Here’s one of mine < http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/OldFamilyPhotos/Menu44.h tml>.

Kyle,

I thought you might come up a little shy on that new G5 but didn’t want to say anything. 😉 Oh and I like your work space too.

Joe
LM
Lou_M
Oct 25, 2003
Pete,

Yeah, like Joe said. I’m a consultant by day, but lazy by night, so I just use iPhoto, click a button, and voila I’ve got a web site on .Mac ("dot-Mac").

Joe,

Thanks. Yep, that picture is from a bike trip I took two weeks ago on the Canon Valley Trail. I thought I was going at the peak of the fall season, but things looked like I was a week or two too late! I was sorta disappointed while riding. I mean, I took a bunch of pictures, but most of the color was already gone, and then the sun darted behind clouds. I was miserable. And then, at the end of the day (literally, here), I took my *very last picture* and it turned out great. Not as dramatic as some of my other autumn pictures–it’s more contemplative, I suppose. The picture is somewhere between Red Wing and Welch. It’s a great bike trail.

Nice web site you got there. Have you considered entering "Barn & Milk House 1914.JPG" as a Challenge?

Kyle,

That’s hysterical!
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 25, 2003
Hi Kyle, That one is just great! I gotta show it to my classmates. Jane
KW
Kyle_White
Oct 25, 2003
Hi gang! I’m back. I are now officially "Panther’ed". So far, so good.

Ref the Wok. Once I saw the typo I just couldn’t resist. Once upon a time I could type 40+ wpm on a manual typewriter, using 5-ply (yup 4 sheets of carbon paper). Now I spend so much time mousing instead of typing I’m lucky if I can get through a single line without tripping over my own fingers. Why is it that it seems to have been easier then, on a mechanical beast, than with these, oh-so-efficient, electronic devices?

Jane: Just don’t let them look too closely at the backsplash of the stove! (I’m not the world’s best house keeper!!! 🙂 )

Kyle
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 26, 2003
Hi Kyle, I’m not so great in the housekeeping dept. now that I have discovered PSE and computers and photography. Big project was to paint the kitchen this fall, maybe this winter???
This stuff is just so much fun!
Jane
KW
Kyle_White
Oct 26, 2003
Jane,

Ain’t it just!

Also, nothing like a good sharp digital picture, taken with a flash, to show all the "warts"!! Especially when you drop it in PSE and have a close look – – – eek!

😉

Kyle
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 26, 2003
Along with my macros of insects and flowers, I have a couple of our dog and our cat’s noses and their paws. I could make them into a signature or stamp or something.
Digital photography sure has opened up a new world for us. And being able to change their eye color is neat, like in my workspace photo. Fun, fun and more fun!
Jane
PL
Paul_L_UK
Oct 26, 2003
Posted mine here <http://www.pbase.com/image/22674251>

Paul
LM
Lou_M
Oct 26, 2003
Jane: Animal noses? I see a Christmas card developing! 🙂 (We did a holiday video a couple years ago of one of our cats’ noses being circled into view, a la a PBS advertising campaign a few years ago called "Stay Curious")

Paul: Nice web site. What classes are you taking? (Groovy, Baby!)
PL
Paul_L_UK
Oct 27, 2003
Lou

Thanks, it was the Elements level 1 (eclectic academy, if I can say it)

Paul
MR
Mark_Reibman
Oct 28, 2003
My workspace. <http://www.pbase.com/image/22725327>

After I saw Paul L’s workspace I changed and borrowed his stacked palette style. Normally I have How To and Layers side by side but his idea has some appeal to me. Sometimes I have the ‘Layer Styles’ next to ‘Layers’ as I use that palette a lot of the time.

I’ve recently been placing my options bar at the bottom as an experiment and it seems to be a little more convenient. I frequently get my image partially covered by the option bar and then I have to press the ‘tab’ to clear the tool bars and then grab my window.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 28, 2003
I have a question… does this bar (the one with several big icons at the bottom) can be made invisible? To me, it seems to take valuable desktop space…

Ray
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 28, 2003
I have a question… does this bar (the one with several big icons at the bottom) can be made invisible? To me, it seems to take valuable desktop space…

Ray

Ray,
That bar is OS X’s dock. This is where you keep all your frequently used programs. You can turn it on to "hide" so that it’s only visible when you mouse over the bottom of your screen. You can also place it on the right or left of your screen. I think Windows task bar is similar.

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 28, 2003
You can also make it much, much smaller than that, or set it to magnify/enlarge when you pass your mouse over it.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 28, 2003
Thanks to both of you. But I think the document window can actually span over the dock bar ? So if it’s the case, its size isn’t a problem.

Yes, Joe, the Windows task bar can hide itself automatically, or be put elsewhere. But auto hide is annoying, to me that is. I prefer to see it always.

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 28, 2003
Hi, Ray. I wasn’t going to post this, since I don’t have room for any tool palettes to be out right now, but you can see there’s no dock, no nothing:

<http://members.aol.com/bkbrun/elements.jpg>
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 28, 2003
Wow,

Nice job on that photo Barb. That must’ve taken a while.

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 28, 2003
You can’t imagine, Joe, thanks. For her face I was mostly working with a one-pixel brush because I hardly ever could get an undamaged sample bigger than that.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 28, 2003
Thanks! That’s better 😉

Ray
MR
Mark_Reibman
Oct 28, 2003
Joe,

I don’t think I’ve got your email address. Could email me. I’ve got a Panther related question.

Thanks
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 28, 2003
Hey Mark,

Check your email. I sent it about a half hour ago (if you’re still up).

Joe
PL
Paul_L_UK
Oct 28, 2003
Mark

If you drag the left side of the stacked palettes to the right, it becomes a minimum size, then when you fit image to desktop CTRL+0, it doesn’t go under the toolbar.

I normally use a resolution of 1280/960 @ 85hz, as I can only get a scan of 75hz at 1600/1200. Got a 19" monitor, but was reasonably cheap. May need a bigger one LOL

Paul
LM
Lou_M
Oct 28, 2003
Does anyone use that little Help thingy in Elements 2? You know, where it says "Enter search criteria" and it’s got a big fat Help button? That takes up a huge amount of space. It seems y’all want more space in the toolbar; it would be good to get rid of that Help thingy in version 3.
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 28, 2003
This is how my PSE screen looks, certainly not original…

<http://www.pbase.com/image/22747598>

Nancy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 28, 2003
Nancy, you really ought to try to use more layers…..

😉

Chuck
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 28, 2003
Chuck 🙂

am I the only one using a purple grid ??

edit, I meant the transparency background
PD
Pete_D
Oct 29, 2003
Guess I will join in, … here is mine…… (crap, I must have had the light on and picked up a reflection when I took the screenshot:)

http://home.comcast.net/~peted1/wsb/html/view.cgi-image.html –SiteID-1054288.html

Pete
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 29, 2003
Pete,

I really like your screenshot with the ‘twist’, it’s great!

Nanny Goat
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 29, 2003
Looks like Pete could use a few more layers as well. 😉

Joe
PD
Pete_D
Oct 29, 2003
Maybe "twisted" is more appropriate eh Nanny ~:-)

Pete
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 29, 2003
Joe Henry,

Ya just gotta luv this program and its layers feature!!

Nancy
PL
Paul_L_UK
Oct 29, 2003
Pete

Nice shot, even managed to include the reflection on the screen.

Got me looking round for the gremlin with the camera when I take a screen shot now – LOL

Paul
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 29, 2003
Nancy,

Yes, layers are indeed fun. It’s hard to imagine life before PSE isn’t it? 🙂

Joe

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections