VN
Posted By
Virginia_Nuta
Oct 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can’t believe that PhotoShop Elements will not allow me to do this simple thing that the competing software will do. All I can find is the "vignette" command, which makes it oval. "Feathering" edges wants to curve the corners. What’s up with this? There are more fancy things in this software than I ever wanted, but not this one thing that I DO want? Am I missing something?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 18, 2003
one way; make rectangular marquee selection around inside of image>select inverse>filter>glaussian blur. Feathering the edges first of the rec marquee gives it a better effect.
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 18, 2003
Virginia,

Are you saying that you want to fade the edges, yet maintain sharp corners? By nature, the intersection of two feathered edges will appear rounded… not sure I understand your goal.

Byron
JD
Juergen_D
Oct 18, 2003
Virginia,

There are several ways to accomplish this. The vignette effect is one of them. Select with your rectangular marquee tool the frame area and set the feathering to 15-20 pixels (more or less, see what looks best). Then apply the vignette effect. It does not make the frame oval unless you had previously selected an oval.

Juergen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 18, 2003
I am not sure but I think this is what Virginia Nuta is talking about and I don’t know an easy way to do this in Elements. If anyone can help let me know. I am more interested in a natural way without plug-ins.

http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/crop.html

g.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 18, 2003
Grant, re the rounded corner rectangle….it depends on how you define ‘easy way’. There’s a ’rounded square’ (really rounded rectangle) shape in the Shape Tool’s dropdown. If you use that to frame your image, then click on it with the Magic Wand to select it, then kill the shape layer, you have a rounded rectangle selection which you can invert, add a fill layer, etc. to create the type of vignette you showed on your website.

Chuck
JD
Juergen_D
Oct 18, 2003
Grant,

I was under the impression Virginia was looking for something like this: http://www.concentric.net/~jdirrigl/border.jpg

Juergen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 18, 2003
Juergen

You are probably right! But I am still curious how to do what I posted in elements. Chuck gave me directions but I an so thick I haven’t figured them out.

G.
JD
Juergen_D
Oct 18, 2003
Grant,

I did get a bit lost there too. 🙂

Juergen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 19, 2003
Uh, oh…..sorry about that. Let me try again now that I’ve had some dinner to counter the effects of the libation that preceded it…..

1. Open image to be ‘cropped.’
2. Go to the Shape tool, find the one called Rounded Square in the dropdown list (it’s in the submenu called shapes)
3. Draw the Rounded Square/Rectangle over your image to cover what you want to preserve; it’s a solid shape of the foreground color.
4. Simplify the shape layer.
5. With the Shape layer active, use the magic wand to select the shape.
6. Turn off the visibility of the shape layer.
7. Activate the background layer in the Layers palette; you should have a nice rectangle of marching ants with rounded corners around the part of the image you want to preserve.
8. From this point, proceed as you normally would with a selection. One way is to invert the selection, then Edit<Clear or Edit<Fill. Another is to invert the selection and add a Color Fill Layer.

A lot of steps, it would seem, but they go pretty quickly.

HTH

Chuck
DS
Dick_Smith
Oct 19, 2003
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:21:13 -0700, wrote:

You can, it seems to me, also blur the edges of an image if you use "Border" in the Select>modify menu.

It requires selecting a rectangular selection, copying to a new layer, selecting the shape and then go to select>modify>border, specify a border width and click ok.

The new layer with the image will have a transparent background.

Make a new layer, fill it with white, move the layer below the bordered image and it will be a blurred edge.

Dick

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
MB
margaret_brock
Oct 19, 2003
I don’t think this answers the original question, but it solves a problem I’ve been having and that has been mentioned in this thread – how to make a rectangle with rounded corners?

Make a rectangle of the desired dimensions, then select>modify>smooth – put some value in the radius box and hit ok – shezam, you have a rounded rectangle selection.

HTH Margaret
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 19, 2003
Margaret, good one – thanks!
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 19, 2003
Chuck

I went off and watched a DVD with Doreen and in the middle of it I had an epiphany. For the moment I read your not I drew a blank at the location of Shape Tool. Once I did I slightly changed your method not knowing what your method was at the time.

1) Open the image.
2) Change the image from Background to "Layer 0"
3) Draw the shape desired in the location desired.
4) Pull "Layer 0" above "Shape Layer".
5) Press Ctrl + G.

– At this point you can click on the "Shape Layer" and move the image for fine tuning it.
– Don’t limit yourself to curved boxes you can use any shape. -You can then crop it using the usual tools.

Grant
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 19, 2003
Margaret

Way too cool. By far the easiest method so far …

g.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 19, 2003
Grant, ah, yes….I forgot about grouping layers as you did. As you point out, the smoothed rectangle can be done much easier using Margaret’s method, but the cookie cutter choices for unusual crops in the Shape Tool’s palette is pretty substantial. Good interchange on this thread!
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 19, 2003
Chuck

I love this virtual artist commune we live in. Each of us leap frog over the other gaining a bit from each other and adding to the process in the leaps.

g.
LK
Leen_Koper
Oct 19, 2003
I understood the original question in a way Jürgen mentionned in posting #6. This is the way I usually do it. I enlarge the image with a white border, select the paint tool, soft brush and set it at a rather large size at 100%.
I place the -white- brush in the white border, outside the image, with the centre in line with one of the sides. Right click, place it at the opposite side, again in line, but outside the image, hold the shift key and click again. This way I work myself around the image. To finetune further I apply the same technique, but with a larger brush at about 50% etc.

This way I can retain relatively "sharp" corners although the image has feathered edges. Afterwards I can always crop the border to a size that fits best to the image.

Leen
A
adasmith
Oct 27, 2003
I made an image size 200 in Photoshop. When I put it on the website. It shows the border. The background of an image is white The image is in the middle. How can I get rid of the border that is black. I never new how it got there?

Thanks For Help in Advance
MB
margaret_brock
Oct 27, 2003
On the right hand side of the "save for web" dialog box, there is a "Matte" option. Click on there and select whatever color you would like the matte to be. Perhaps it was mistakenly set to black.

Hope this helps, Margaret

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections