MM
Posted By
Monica_Marquez
Oct 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need help with something very strange, will try to be precise. I am using Mac OSX10.2.8. I copied some pictures I had backed up when I was using OS 8.6. They had the Old Quicktime logo on them. I opened the pictures via PSE 2, did considerable work on them & SAVED my changes. However when I open the pictures the changes are not indicated & the pictures open in my "Preview" as if nothing had been done to them (changes included resolution etc.). I have tried "save’, "save as" nothing works, But when I check pictures via PSE my changes are visible, What am I doing wrong I am at my wit’s end, this never happened before.
Thank you for any help you can offer.

Monica

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 17, 2003
Monica, Preview is Os X’s default viewer for many file types. It doesn’t mean nothing was done to your images. This is the way it is supposed to work.

If you want them to open in PE rather than Preview when you double click them, highlight the icon of one the closed files, press command + i to bring up the get info box, go to "open with application" and choose PE.

Then you can click "change all," but that means that every tiff or jpeg or whatever file type it is will open in PE from now on.
TB
Todd_Burger
Oct 17, 2003
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions to cure my crash on launch of Elements 2.0 on a MAC G4 running OS 10.2.8. Before I got a chancce to implement any of your suggestions, I want to let you all know that the problem appears to have resolved itself –the new OS and the app apear to be getting along just fine! Apart from a second restart, nothing else of significance has happened. And the problem is gone from both computers. Maybe it was tied to my rooting for the Red Sox…
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 17, 2003
Hi, Todd, that’s good to hear. Your mac runs a truncated version of "fsck" every time it starts up, so that’s probably what did it.

Still a good idea to repair permissions, though, to avoid future trouble, and not just with PE
MM
Monica_Marquez
Oct 17, 2003
Hi Barbara,
Thank you so much for you quick response. Should I have done what you suggested BEFORE I worked on the pictures. Because my problem has been that the CHANGES I made on them did not "take". When I open the pictures it is if I made no changes at all. In other words after all my work with resolution,etc. the pictures are STILL at KB’s (very little), my changes brought them up to 3.52M, which is what I wanted, not to mention color correction etc.
It is as if I had NOT worked on them at all. If I open pictures via PSE & check image size, etc. all looks well but if I click open the pictures via the folder they are in they are like the orginals (no changes are indicated). Thank you again
for any further help you can offer.

Monica
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 17, 2003
Monica, I think that’s because you’re not really looking at the same files. I bet you used "save as" in PE,didn’t you? Then you made a NEW file. Did you change the format in PE, like from JPEG to psd or tiff?

If your original was, say, a jpeg file and you saved it as a tiff in PE, you will now have two pictures. One will be mypicture.jpg (the original) and the other will be mypicture.tiff.

Does that make sense?
MM
Monica_Marquez
Oct 17, 2003
Hi Barbara,
Of course you are making sense. NO I did not do a "save as" when I worked on the pictures. I worked on them & then did a "save". The reason I know i do
not have two of the same pictures is because when I do a "find" I search for them by number & damn if the search only finds the same ole KB pictures, not a 3.52M. This entire nonsense is giving me a migraine, it started off as a simple copy of a old back up to X, the pictures needed work & for some reason the changes are not "taking". Am I making sense?? This never happened before, what on earth is wrong. Yesterday I was so desperate for a
solution I made a long distance call to Adobe support, big waste of time & phone charges. Thank you again if you can find an answer.

Monice
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 17, 2003
Monica, let me understand what you are saying. You open a photo in PE (what format?), work on it, save it. Your pictures are not on a cd or other removable media are they?

Then after you work on them in PE, you reopen them in Preview and you don’t see any of the changes you made. Do you see the changes when you reopen them in PE?
MM
Monica_Marquez
Oct 17, 2003
Hi Barbara,
Is this a mess or what?? Let me start at the beginning & bore everyone to tears. I had backed up some photos on a cd from my old system 8.6, I then
copied them to my desktop on system X. The pictures were placed in a folder,I worked on the pictures via PSE, made many changes & did a "save". The changes did not "take", because every time I click on the pictures from my FOLDER, they would open in Preview, no changes indicated at all, still very tiny (kb) my changes had made them 3.52M. HOWEVER! if I opened the pictures via PSE I could see the changes, color correction, resoulution, etc..When I did a "find" system only found original photos, & NOT the new photos with all changes. I am at a complete loss, at this point it seems the solution is to print the photos via PSE, & then scan them in because when I view them in PSE the changes are there. Did not want to do this, just wanted them in comp with all changes to create slide show with Still Life. Thank so much for caring.Oh, all are jpeg!!!

Monica
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 18, 2003
Monica what kind of changes did you make to your photos? Color, size, crop, drawing? Please explain. I’m, pretty sure I know what’s going on, but I need that information to be certain.

Also, never, ever work on a JPG. Every time you save a picture as a JPEG you are squishing some information out of it. You should always save as .psd (photoshop) or TIFF before you edit. You can save back as JPEG if you want to use it for email or something, but you degrade your image a bit every time you save it when it’s in JPEG format.

Once or twice won’t make a big difference, and you may not see much difference on your monitor, but if you do that several times and then go to print one you will say "eewww" when you see the printout.
MM
Monica_Marquez
Oct 18, 2003
Hi Barbara,
Again, thank you for trying to help me. The changes made were levels, some contrast, & changed print size to 4×6 which changed resolution which is what we wanted. That’s about it, file size then became 3.52M which also was fine with us. Barbara, I have done these type of changes a million times & all has been perfect. The problem seems to be with these copied pictures from my old iMac. When I copied the pictures to my desktop they were a Quicktime logo, ( old QT) which I ignored & proceeded to work on them by opening them via PSE2. Barbara when I viewed the pictures via PSE & checked image size,etc all looked fine. The problems started when for what ever reason I opened the pictures by clicking on them in the foldler to check changes that I realized NO CHANGES HAD REALLY BEEN MADE, they were the original tiny pictures. Many many thank you’s

Monica
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 18, 2003
Okay, Monica. The QT thing is irrelevant. It means nothing here, really, just that in os 9 Picture viewer would have opened them by default.

How do you have your pictures named? Are they something like "mybirthday.jpg" or what? When you do a command + F on just the name without the file extension, how many things turn up?

You are saying you have made BIG changes like the shape of the photo and that doesn’t show up in Preview at all? Are you viewing your photos at actual size in Preview?

EDIT Also, how tiny are these tiny pictures?
MB
margaret_brock
Oct 18, 2003
Monica, you are not losing your mind!!

I have a photo manipulation that I created for a workshop I was giving. This image file has several layers – I took a messy picture of a person sitting in a chair, replaced the background, added a Christmas tree, changed the color of the flower, the person’s clothes, added, moved pictures on the walls etc. – the whole think is about 20 layers.

When I open it in PSE, all is well.

When I open it in Preview, only the layer with the plant greenery is visible.

The plant greenery is a on a layer somewhere in the middle of the layer stack.

I think what’s happening is that Preview is not very smart. It sees all those layers and doesn’t know what to do with them, so it picks one and random and displays it.

If you’re having trouble with images opening in Preview instead of PSE, you can follow the advice previously given (which is good btw) or you can right click on the image and choose "Open With" and pick the application you want to use from the list that pops up.

HTH, Margaret
MM
Monica_Marquez
Oct 18, 2003
Hi Barbara,
The changes made on the pictures were levles, some contrast, resolution, that’s about it. As I mentioned above, this mess started when I do a command+F, :& this is what shows up: ( size 544kb-kind-Adobe…EG file.????? ) What happend to my 3.52M size photos. Yet when I open via PSE I see the changes, file size etc. but the changed photos are nowhere to be found. Photos are numbered : P4140018.jpg. Do you suppose that when the pictures were copied & I began to work on them I should have first done a "save as" on all, and THEN reopened, made changes,closed, SAVED CHANGES? Instead I opened pictures, made changes, then did a Save. This sort of nonsense has never happened before, I work on photos, do whatever, save my changes, when I re-open the changes have been made. Thank you again.
Monica
MM
Monica_Marquez
Oct 18, 2003
Hi Barbara,
It’s pest again, but quess what, I may have found the problem. I cannot tell you how many many times thru this mess I have clicked on these stupid photos to do a "get info". the info was : P4140010.jpg Kind PSE (FILE) 544kb on disk. It looks like "file" has been the problem all along, I do not know why they burned this way when I did the backup from my iMac. other photos from this same backup list as "image", but these particular pictures had never been worked on in my old iMac. If this is the problem, what is the solution. What do you think?? Thank you thank you.

Monica
MB
margaret_brock
Oct 18, 2003
Monica, did you see my response?

You’re right about moving from one computer to another, the file associations aren’t always right after the move, but I think I offered a solution.

Margaret
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 20, 2003
Hello, Margaret. What you describe is not really normal. I just opened a couple of 200+MB files in Preview to check, and they opened normally. Are you sure you didn’t have visibility turned off for the other layers, like if you were working on just the layer that showed in Preview? The only other thing I can think of that might cause that would be running PE on a marginal processor with minimal ram. There are some goofy things about Preview, but that’s not one I’ve heard of before.

Monica, try this. Open one of the offending files in PE. Go to Save As and save it under another name on your desktop. Be sure you choose that as your destination in the file save dialog. Do something really noticeable to this copy, like filling it with a purple overlay or whatever. Save your changes and close the copy.

Remember the name you saved it by, then go to Preview>File>Open and see if the copy shows your changes.
MB
margaret_brock
Oct 20, 2003
Well, Barbara, I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck, I’ve been in this computer business for a little while now and I did some experimenting of my own.

I have one psd file that has about 12 layers. One of the layers has a plant on it (others have a person, a christmas tree, some wall hangings, new walls, part of the ceiling etc.) all the layers are showing. When I open it in Preview, only the plant shows up. I opened it again in Photoshop and moved the plant down in the stack so it was hiding behind the wall, saved under a new name and opened again in Preview – this time only the outline of the plant was showing covered by the mottled coloring of the wall.

I took another file – a composite of my mother – and opened it in preview and all that showed was the layer with Mom’s head on it. I opened the file in Photoshop, moved Mom below the layer with the backdrop on it, saved to a new name and opened it in Preview and all I got was Mon’s outline covered by the color of the backdrop.

I have 640 MB of RAM on this 600 Mhrz laptop and 7 GB free on the harddrive. I’ve installed all the updates – I sure don’t know what’s going on. I never use Preview so I can live with it, but something sure doesn’t seem right.

Margaret
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 20, 2003
but something sure doesn’t seem right.

No, it sure doesn’t. Have you tried trashing com.apple.Preview.plist and repairing permissions?
MB
margaret_brock
Oct 20, 2003
I’m getting ready to go away for a couple of weeks, so I’ll put that on my list of chores for when I get back. I need to clean up both my systems preparatory to OS 10.3, so will take care of it when I don’t have travel plans clouding my brain.

Take care, Margaret
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 20, 2003
Oh, well, if you are planning to do any kind of archive and install or other clean install, hopefully that should take care of it.

Enjoy your trip.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections