Posted By
Elisabeth
May 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello!
I have really tried to cut out a person (with long hair…)from one picture and then place it in another picture.
I wonder – is there a way to do this quickly or does It has to be a 30 min. work?
What is the best way to do It?

I am new to Photoshop so please make It as easy as possible! Thanx a lot!

Elisabeth

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
Charley
May 15, 2005
You will need to "Select" the person or object that you want to move. Getting every hair strand is nearly impossible and requires a lot of practice and some advanced steps that are too long to teach here, but this will get you started. There are a bunch of ways to do this, but for simplicity sake, choose the "Lasso" tool. Now zoom your photo so the person that you want is nearly full screen. You may need to move your photo left-right and up-down to get them centered. Now take your lasso tool and carefully go around the edge of them. Don’t let up on the button until you finish full circle. If it doesn’t come out right go to the "Selection" pulldown and "de-select". Then start over. When you finish, you will have outlined them with what we call a "marching ants circle". Now zoom this photo back down in size so it takes up less than full screen and then open the photo that you want to move them to. Position both photos side by side and then select the "Move tool" (arrows pointing 4 directions). Now click and hold on the person that you selected and drag them to the other photo and then let up (don’t worry if it appears as they are being "cut-out" and removed from the photo. This is temporary). When you release the mouse you will have placed your person in the photo, but they are actually on a clear layer that is on top of the photo. You can click on them and move them to better position them or you can change anything about them without affecting the photo that is behind them. You can even erase touch-up edges or spots that you didn’t want to move with them without erasing those spots on the photo behind them. The background photo will show through the erased spots. Open the "Layers" window and it will open a small tool bar that shows the layers of your photo. You will see 1 bar with your original photo and a bar above it with only the new person showing in the small icon in the bar. The correct bar needs to be selected here for you to work on that part of the photo. With the correct bar selected you can make whatever adjustments that you want to only the photo in that "layer". If you click on the "eyeball" of the bar you can make that part of your photo temporarily invisible. The adjustments at the top allow you to adjust the transparency and type of the selected layer.

This should be "more than enough for lesson 1". It takes a lot of practice to get good and there are better ways (but not easier) and lots of other adjustments to learn, but this should get you started. Read the manual sections on "Selection" to learn more. Also go to www.myjanee.com for some really good tutorials on Photoshop. Janee is "one of the best" and I’ve learned a lot from her.

As I don’t frequent this newsgroup very often, e-mail me direct if you have questions, but use "Photoshop" in the subject line or you might end up in the trash barrel.

Charley

"Elisabeth" wrote in message
Hello!
I have really tried to cut out a person (with long hair…)from one
picture
and then place it in another picture.
I wonder – is there a way to do this quickly or does It has to be a 30
min.
work?
What is the best way to do It?

I am new to Photoshop so please make It as easy as possible! Thanx a lot!

Elisabeth

E
Elisabeth
May 15, 2005
"Charley" wrote in message
You will need to "Select" the person or object that you want to move. Getting every hair strand is nearly impossible and requires a lot of practice and some advanced steps that are too long to teach here, but this will get you started. There are a bunch of ways to do this, but for simplicity sake, choose the "Lasso" tool. Now zoom your photo so the person
that you want is nearly full screen. You may need to move your photo left-right and up-down to get them centered. Now take your lasso tool and carefully go around the edge of them. Don’t let up on the button until you finish full circle. If it doesn’t come out right go to the "Selection" pulldown and "de-select". Then start over. When you finish, you will have outlined them with what we call a "marching ants circle". Now zoom this photo back down in size so it takes up less than full screen and then open the photo that you want to move them to. Position both photos side by side and then select the "Move tool" (arrows pointing 4 directions). Now click and hold on the person that you selected and drag them to the other photo and then let up (don’t worry if it appears as they are being "cut-out" and removed from the photo. This is temporary). When you release the mouse you will have placed your person in the photo, but they are actually on a clear
layer that is on top of the photo. You can click on them and move them to better position them or you can change anything about them without affecting
the photo that is behind them. You can even erase touch-up edges or spots that you didn’t want to move with them without erasing those spots on the photo behind them. The background photo will show through the erased spots.
Open the "Layers" window and it will open a small tool bar that shows the layers of your photo. You will see 1 bar with your original photo and a bar
above it with only the new person showing in the small icon in the bar. The
correct bar needs to be selected here for you to work on that part of the photo. With the correct bar selected you can make whatever adjustments that
you want to only the photo in that "layer". If you click on the "eyeball" of
the bar you can make that part of your photo temporarily invisible. The adjustments at the top allow you to adjust the transparency and type of the
selected layer.

This should be "more than enough for lesson 1". It takes a lot of practice to get good and there are better ways (but not easier) and lots of other adjustments to learn, but this should get you started. Read the manual sections on "Selection" to learn more. Also go to www.myjanee.com for some really good tutorials on Photoshop. Janee is "one of the best" and I’ve learned a lot from her.

As I don’t frequent this newsgroup very often, e-mail me direct if you have
questions, but use "Photoshop" in the subject line or you might end up in the trash barrel.

Charley

Thank you very much for your answer.
So kind of you to put so much work In a answer. Thanx a lot! I have already printed out your answer and will study it!

Elisabeth

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections