DL
Posted By
dc_law
Oct 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When attempting to save an image in "save for web", get a message box saying "Could not complete this operation because an assertion has failed".

What’s up with that? What is an assertion? The help file is not, nor is the knowlegebase. Removal and reinstall didn’t solve it either.

Help!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NS
Nancy_S
Oct 16, 2003
dc,

Try returning the Save For Web back to defaults or if you can input some choices, try saving the settings as a preference.
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 16, 2003
dc,

Or else, delete the preferences folder (that would not have deleted even with a reinstall and often gets corrupted). Hold alt/shift/ctrl together immediately after launch. Answer yes to the dialog box. Keep us posted.
DL
dc_law
Oct 16, 2003
Thanx for the input. Did as you suggested to no avail.
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 16, 2003
dc,

hmmm…sorry that didn’t work for you… bringing this post back to the top, maybe someone else will have some ideas, like Rich C (the Adobe Guy).

N
DL
dc_law
Oct 16, 2003
Solved it. The alt/shift/ctrl gig at launch was ineffective so I decided to open the tool box, grab the trusty ol’ never-fail regedt32.exe, and get under the hood.

I soon found HCU\Software\Adobe\Save For Web 3.0\Preferences and deleted everything inside it. Of course I first backed it up so it could be restored if need be cuz I didn’t want MS to find out I’d been in there!

Then it was a simple matter of closing the lid, doing a cold boot and PRESTO! … problem solved.

So the lesson learned is that the advertised method of resetting preferences is less than complete because the Save 4 Web preferences are in their own private-party key, while the others are not specifically identified at the key level; at least not that I could find.

I still don’t know what the hell an assertion is and I doubt very much I am the only user to experience this problem.

CLUE FOR ADOBE: If you are going to make the effort to flash a modal box at me when the app throws an exception, then make it meaningful okay? Let it crash and don’t tell me anything instead of flashing some lame B.S. at me cuz you don’t have the foggiest idea why it puked.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 21, 2003
OK, everybody, I’m doing "catch up" on the posts. One of us regulars has got to make a note of the shortcut for deleting the Preference folder for Save for Web. Rich posted it a long time ago. Anybody remember what it is? I don’t, and I didn’t have any luck doing a forum search, either. Of course I’m also tired because it’s almost my bedtime. 🙁

Rich!!! If you’ll come back and tell us again, somebody will promise to write it down! 🙂
RC
Richard_Coencas
Oct 21, 2003
Hi Beth,

Sorry, I was out of town for a few days.

Save for Web has it’s own preferences and there is a shortcut to delete them on Windows, but it doesn’t work on Mac. However on Mac you can find them in your user/username/library/preferences folder. On Win they are indeed in the registry.

The shortcut is Control-Alt while launching Save for Web.

Rich
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 21, 2003
OK, Rich! Thank you. I have the instructions saved on one computer, and I’ll go get it on the other one shortly. Now… Somebody has to be in charge of reminding me that I saved it! 🙂
PD
Pete_D
Oct 21, 2003
Beth,

I’ll remind you:)

Pete
AM
Andy_Mann355
Nov 5, 2003
DC LAW, THANKS!!!
I had the same error message when trying to save to the web. I tried all the fixes and nothing worked. Then I tried your registry deletion trick and it worked great! Thanks again!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections