Photoshop CS greyscale images showing up in sepia?

EH
Posted By
Eric_Hartman
May 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have no idea why, but my greyscale images are loading up in the program with a sepia tone to them. I went ahead and configured my adobe gamma, which did nothing to remedy the issue. When I save the files – they are in black and white, but while editing – sepia.

I have a samsung syncmaster 997DF monitor, and a Radeon 9600 video card.

Anyone have any ideas? Color images look fine…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
May 14, 2005
You probably should use a hardware calibrator like the Optix or the Spyder. Calibrating by eye is not so accurate.

Also, your eyes are influenced by the ambient light in the room. Close the shades or whatever, so the editing room is dark. See if that helps.
L
LenHewitt
May 14, 2005
I went ahead and configured my adobe gamma<<

Try again. Your monitor profile is not good.

Try selecting the sRGB profile as your starting point, change the text in the description field to something meaningful to you and finally don’t forget to save to a new filename.
EH
Eric_Hartman
May 15, 2005
it has nothing to do with my monitor. I can open greyscale images in corel and they look just fine.

Adobe Photoshop CS just shows them in sepia, but outputs as greyscale…
L
LenHewitt
May 15, 2005
Adobe Photoshop CS just shows them in sepia, but outputs as greyscale…<<

Which PROVES it is your monitor profile.
DM
dave_milbut
May 16, 2005
follow len’s advice and rerun adobe gamma from the control panel.

when you get a spare 10 minutes, read this:

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps8_colour/ps8_1.htm>
EH
Eric_Hartman
May 16, 2005
I’m still having 0 luck. Corel Painter, ACDsee, internet explorer, and any other graphic display shows greyscale as greyscale. Adobe Photoshop CS and Elements show the image in an almost sepia. Now, assuming I could get adobe gamma to make the images NOT appear sepia – which I can’t – it would then make the images look incorrect in every other program.

Again, I *REALLY* don’t think it’s my monitor profile. In fact, Adobe Photoshop 7 looked just fine on this very same rig. The only thing that would make sense is Photoshop itself is calibrated incorrectly to my monitor, or its got some crazy filter / color mode going on….
DM
dave_milbut
May 16, 2005
I’m still having 0 luck. Corel Painter, ACDsee, internet explorer, and any other graphic display shows greyscale as greyscale

they’re not color managed. photoshop IS. did you read the link i posted? really? ALL of it?
EH
Eric_Hartman
May 16, 2005
Ok, I think I’m getting a step closer. Page 4 had some stuff about proff setups. I went and changed from view > proof setup > working CMYK to monitor RGB and now the image is in proper black and white. However, when I save the image and reopen it, photoshop gives me a message saying the embedded profile is different than the working space, converting image to working space. Hello again, sepia! I’m still trying to read this article and figure something out.
DM
dave_milbut
May 17, 2005
Eric, I think you can use "convert to profile" now that you’ve found something that works, but as i never use that myself, i’m not going to advise it…

i’m sure someone more color savvy will be by shortly. that’s some great stuff there at ian’s site, ain’t it?

hang in there, or save a copy then try to do the convert to profile ON THE COPY to see if that works for you. don’t mess with the original until you get some better qualified advice! there are some real color gurus that hang around here (in fact, at least one has already posted here), i’m sure one or more will pop by soon, world time thing and all…

good luck, dave
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
May 17, 2005
Just a thought: Do you use a third party monitor calibrator like Monaco or Spyder? If so, you need to remove Adobe Gamma from the start menu, where it got installed when you put in CS2. Two calibrators can work against each other.
L
LenHewitt
May 17, 2005
I went and changed from view > proof setup > working CMYK to monitor RGB
and now the image is in proper black and white.<<

Again, Eric that indicates that you have a bad monitor profile!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections