DD
Posted By
DANIEL_DALTON
May 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
when maximizing images in cs2, when i close the other images do not follow and have to be maximized again. not the case in cs. any ideas?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
chrisjbirchall
May 12, 2005
Sorry, Could you explain what it is you mean a little more concisely.
DD
DANIEL_DALTON
May 12, 2005
when several images are opened in photoshop and i maximize the top one by clicking the square in the right upper corner, after i close/save that image the other images are still stacked and need to be maximized individually. in cs after saving/closing a maximized image the next image came up automatically maximized. any suggestions?
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 12, 2005
Daniel,

The other day, I seem to recall being puzzled by "something" as I bounced back and forth doing various things in PS CS and CS2, yet it never sunk it that I experienced exactly what you report here. Indeed, PS CS apparently maximizes all images when the active image is maximized; conversely, CS2 doesn’t. I think I prefer the CS2 approach personally.

Daryl
DD
DANIEL_DALTON
May 12, 2005
thanks for the reply. i wonder if there is a way to do it both ways depending on user preference. i didn’t find anything to set in preferences. i tend to postprocess 1-200 sports action shots at a time and prefer to work with the maximized images. bad eyes, i guess.
C
chrisjbirchall
May 12, 2005
CS2 images are actually opened independently of the application window, which is probably why the behavior is different in this respect.

Personally I prefer the CS2 way of doing things, although I too liked the way if you opened several images from a maximized browser they would all open maximized too.

Now I’m afraid you’ll just have to do what I do – hit F (for full screen) at the beginning of each edit. It’s only one extra keystroke after all.

Chris.
DD
DANIEL_DALTON
May 13, 2005
guess i can handle that. thanks for the info.
A
ABERGER2
May 20, 2005
BAD NEWS

I shoot around 1500 images a week and I am really frustrated with this change. To quote another user "it’s only one extra keystroke after all". Sorry, Chris, but in my case it’s only 1500 extra keystrokes after all.

Just got off the phone with Adobe Tech Support (the guys you have to pay to talk to) and they said they made the change and it cannot be undone.

They are even willing to refund your money and move on without blinking over this.

I gotta tell you I will be looking for alternative programs after I get my refund. CS works just fine and I will learn to live without Adobe regarding.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Al
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 20, 2005
Try opening one image, maximizing, then opening the other images. You’ll get what you want.
You might want to hold on that refund…
A
ABERGER2
May 20, 2005
Pierre,

I have to crop horizontal and vertical images and don’t know which is which until they are open. I used to open the images and then choose all of the horizontal images, maximize the first one and crop until I come to the vertical images. I change the crop settings and crop away. Then I open more images and go through the whole thing again.

I have tried what you say about maximizing the first image and then opening the others. After doing that I have to switch the crop between hort and vert. Crop, switch, crop, switch, crop, etc… Steps, additional steps… Time is not important to most people but it is to me. Additional strokes for a job that used to be simpler. No difference between either way of doing the tasks.

CS works just fine. I would even be happy if they made it a programmable option under user preferences.

The most frustrating point of this issue is: Where are the folks who wrote this program and why are they not talking to us about this issue?

Just my opinion on the subject.

Al
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 20, 2005
Maybe you do need a script in Bridge to open all vertical images, then horizontal ones. Or just sorting by file size in bridge?

Or maybe a conditionnal action? is it possible to open a preset based on dimensions (with a stop to allow you to do the crop)
A
ABERGER2
May 20, 2005
Pierre,

Why should we have to change our methods? Why should we have to learn how to script in Bridge? Will Bridge have the ability to work with scripts in the next version or will it be back to the Browser?

Photoshop is supposed to help us with our imaging needs. Maybe they need to split it into a version for working photographers and another for everyone else.

I don’t have the time to figure out a conditional action or whether it is possible to open a preset based on dimensions.

I appreciate your responses… To bad you don’t work for Adobe.

Al
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 20, 2005
Bridge supports scripting now.
A
ABERGER2
May 20, 2005
But will Bridge support scripting in the next version? My point is CS worked differently when maximizing files. They changed it for the worst (my opinion) in CS2. File Browser worked in CS the changed it to "Bridge" in CS2.

Why should we have to change our work flow everytime they bring out a new version?
DM
dave_milbut
May 22, 2005
Why should we have to change our work flow everytime they bring out a new version?

progress. move on or die. ask the dinosaurs.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 23, 2005
So previously, you opened all images in Photoshop, then discarded the landscape ones, then applied cropping, then finally loaded the other images and cropped them to the other dimensions?

In Bridge, open one landscape image, set it to full screen, then open the rest of the landscape images, then open them and crop them, do the same for your portrait images.

In my opinion, this is a faster procedure than the one you were using before.

I don’t see the point with me working or not for Adobe, this is an user to user forum. You come here to ask or answer questions to and with other users. If you do not want a suggestion, but just want to rant, this place is definitely not the best venue.

On top of this page, you’ll see a "contact us" link, that’s the best way to contact Adobe.
C
chrisjbirchall
May 23, 2005

My first word processor was Brother electric typewriter with a beautifully sculpted keyboard and a buffer which allowed you to edit up to three lines.

My next was an Amstrad PCW with a crap keyboard but far greater editing facilities all of which entailed a change in my workflow.

Then came a PC with Word Perfect. This wasn’t perfect, but I changed my workflow.

Then came Word – I changed my workflow!

I road a motorbike – then a car with a column shift – then one with a floor shift – then an automatic. Each required a different "workflow".

Get the drift? Like Dave said: it’s called progress.

Chris.

(PS: I still yearn for that sculpted keyboard – smooth as silk and virtually silent!) <sigh>
A
ABERGER2
May 23, 2005
Sorry guys, I find it is easier to use CS1 and if I need to use the file browser.

I agree move on or die but when you lose the tools you have to evaluate the usefulness of the new tools. CS2 doesn’t have enough new tools to justify the loss of some of the old tools.

Ranting, hell, when someone states a fact about something they don’t like, or disagree with, some of you go off on them like Howard Dean on the Republicans. :>)

Face it this is a place to raise issues and talk about it. Folks shouldn’t feel intimidated if they say something you don’t like. It is called free speech!

Pierre, my point was Adobe personnel monitor thess forums and have jumped in with information. We shouldn’t have to spend more money to find out about issues. I checked and didn’t find this issue in the "changes" portion of CS2 manuel. It should be mentioned since it is an upgrade.

I hope you like my rant! :>) The issue still remains the same, and I still say they should have given us the option of making the maximizing a preference. Then us oldies would be happy and you young guns would never know the difference! :>)

Just my thoughts (rants)
T
tmalcom
May 23, 2005
For the most part, I agree with Aberger2. Many of the changes I’ve seen in CS2 aren’t necessarily changes for the better, but seem to have been made just for the sake of change. I thoroughly dislike the Progress bar and the Info palette is messy at best. I fail to see that change = progress in much of what’s been done to CS2.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 23, 2005
Aberger, once again, how did you work before?

"I (…) don’t know which is which until they are open. I used to open the images and then choose all of the horizontal images, maximize the first one and crop until I come to the vertical images. I change the crop settings and crop away. Then I open more images and go through the whole thing again." How did you choose them?

In Bridge, you can select all the vertical images directly. That’s why I don’t see where there is a problem… This workflow is faster than opening all images, sorting them, then cropping.

If I suggested that you came here to rant, it is because you did seem to discard every suggestion made to help you with your current issue. I’m sure that there is a way to do what you want, and why not, improve your workflow!
A
ABERGER2
May 23, 2005
Pierre,

I do a ctrl-o and select the first row of 14 or so images and then press enter. That is how I "open" my images. Once they are open if there are any horizontal images I then click and drag it forward and then after all of the horizontal images are selected, I then would double click on the 1st one making every open file "maximized".

This way if I get interrupted I can just look for the first "larger" file and know where I stopped cropping.

Pierre says: "In Bridge, you can select all the vertical images directly. That’s why I don’t see where there is a problem… This workflow is faster than opening all images, sorting them, then cropping".

Great Pierre, Bridge used to be File Browser for 2 versions. Then they "Adobe" decided that experiment didn’t work so we will do something different and call it "Bridge". Next it will be know as "what ever the hell Adobe wants to call it" and Pierre with be in love with it because Adobe made it.

Do you see my point? We have to use what works for us and depend on software makers to have some common sense about making changes just for changes sake.

Pierre, did you use "Browser"? Did you have any issues with "Browser"? I didn’t use it because I am old school and learned long ago how to get around in "My Computer" or through "ctrl-o". I like brunettes and don’t like quich and I hate goose pate. You may like blondes and love quich or goose pate. That is what makes us unique.

Just a few thoughts but I hope they answer your questions.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 23, 2005
Aberger, I don’t know why you want to catalogue me as a new user… I’ve been using Photoshop for about 10 years…

I noticed indeed that it takes sometimes a full version before I incorporate some of the new tools in my workflow. But after using Bridge for several months, it has become a very useful tool.

I’ve been using File browser, yes it was not always super duper, but you should really give Bridge a chance, it is way more than a simple file browser.

But anyways, I guess that you filed your bug report in the page I linked to. It is up to you to use a workaround or re-sell CS2. Bye, good luck.
T
troyhark
May 23, 2005
Going back to original post, I hated the way CS1 opened and displayed subsequent images, not appropriate to my workflow. But I do think there should be an option to choose between them.

As for Aberger’s rants,sorry comments! – refusing to even try out new features/methods and then slagging them off. This is whilst you describe a workflow which is a bit barking really.
I like to think I know my way around a computer, though a computer circa 2005 and not 1994. My Computer!! Have you not even heard of Explorer, which was an improvement on My Computer, it came out with Win 95 I think.
The word muppet springs to mind. ‘Old School’ eh! More like kindergarten, where they still use palimpsests rather than pen and paper.
I actually tried out File Browser b4 making a judgment and simply never used Cntrl+0 [within PS] again. Soooo much better. And Bridge seems to be a big improvement on FB.

I still cannot believe to use PS to view your files the way you describe, esp. the amounts you stated. And if you shoot RAW [if you care about quality, you will], you cannot view even RAW files from within Windows, how time consuming is that.
If you used Bridge/FB you could quickly view all the images in a folder and select all the Horizontal[or vertical] images and rank/flag/colour them and order by chosen method. Then you can open a chunk of just vert. or just horiz. images very easily and would save a lot of keystrokes and clicks and if you have to shut PS down b4 you’ve finished cropping[to got to bed/home maybe] all your sorting is still preserved for the next time.
DM
dave_milbut
May 23, 2005
Have you not even heard of Explorer, which was an improvement on My Computer,

actually explorer was an enhancement on winfile.exe, 3.1’s file manager. 🙂 even so i still know people (all these years later) who fire up winfile and refuse to deal with explorer. to each his own it it works for you and you like wasting time, then it’s fine with me.
DM
dave_milbut
May 23, 2005
If you used Bridge/FB you could quickly view all the images in a folder and select all the Horizontal[or vertical] images and rank/flag/colour them and order by chosen method. Then you can open a chunk of just vert. or just horiz. images very easily and would save a lot of keystrokes and clicks and if you have to shut PS down b4 you’ve finished cropping[to got to bed/home maybe] all your sorting is still preserved for the next time.

shh! you’re making sense. don’t confuse people! 🙂
RE
Robert_Enns
May 23, 2005
I will not change, I will not change, I will not change… I don’t care if it does make work easier. And I’m not going to try it out long enough to see if it’s an improvement because it’s not the way *I* have always worked and (see first line).
DM
dave_milbut
May 24, 2005
ah, balance has been restored to the force. thank you robert! 😉
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 24, 2005
Even if I said "Bye", I found two other solutions that will allow you to stick with your current workflow in CS2, without using the advantages brought by Bridge ;D :

1)Select your images as you did, then Shift+click the Full screen button in the Toolbar: this will open all the images in full screen mode (and you’ll be able to move them, what you weren’t able to do in the Operating system’s full screen mode).

2)Use Image Ready for your cropping method!

Just because there are always several ways to work in Photoshop…
T
troyhark
May 24, 2005
Oh yeah, File Manager I’d forgotten about that Dave. mind you I only used Win 3.11 for a few weeks b4 deciding Win 95 was way, way better when it came to workflow. :-] – I find manual smiles more efficient than fancy smilies BTW, not that I actually know how to do those modern fancy graphical smilies.

How about finding what one can do in PS in the most varied way with prizes [in units of kudos and vitriol] for the most and least efficient methods. I also wonder what technique/method e.g. selecting, one can do in the most variety of [efficient] ways?
S
SpaceGirl
May 24, 2005
wrote:
For the most part, I agree with Aberger2. Many of the changes I’ve seen in CS2 aren’t necessarily changes for the better, but seem to have been made just for the sake of change. I thoroughly dislike the Progress bar and the Info palette is messy at best. I fail to see that change = progress in much of what’s been done to CS2.

See, I disagree. I didn’t like the file thing in CS1 AT ALL… there were far better programs out there (like ACDSee) for managing images. Now that Bridge is here, I’ll never look back. It’s wonderful (if a little bloated!), and saves a massive amount of time. We recently moved from shooting high-quality JPEGS to RAW images, and Bridge makes this simply so easy to manage.
S
SpaceGirl
May 24, 2005
wrote:
Pierre,

Why should we have to change our methods? Why should we have to learn how to script in Bridge? Will Bridge have the ability to work with scripts in the next version or will it be back to the Browser?

Photoshop is supposed to help us with our imaging needs. Maybe they need to split it into a version for working photographers and another for everyone else.

I don’t have the time to figure out a conditional action or whether it is possible to open a preset based on dimensions.

I appreciate your responses… To bad you don’t work for Adobe.
Al

Then dont upgrade? If you dont like change, dont buy upgrades. Pretty simple really!
S
SpaceGirl
May 24, 2005
wrote:
BAD NEWS

I shoot around 1500 images a week and I am really frustrated with this change. To quote another user "it’s only one extra keystroke after all". Sorry, Chris, but in my case it’s only 1500 extra keystrokes after all.

Just got off the phone with Adobe Tech Support (the guys you have to pay to talk to) and they said they made the change and it cannot be undone.

They are even willing to refund your money and move on without blinking over this.
I gotta tell you I will be looking for alternative programs after I get my refund. CS works just fine and I will learn to live without Adobe regarding.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Al

Happy hunting. Nothing on the market comes close to PhotoShop.
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
May 24, 2005
Speaking of dinosaurs, they were way more successful than we are. They lasted for hundreds of millions of years, we’re on the verge of drowning in our own s*it after only a few hundred thousand years.

So maybe adapting to current conditions is the way to go!!

PS I like the Bridge. Just takes some getting used to.
DM
dave_milbut
May 25, 2005
mind you I only used Win 3.11 for a few weeks b4 deciding Win 95 was way

win32s on win95 for about a year before win95 was out. yay! freecell!
C
chrisjbirchall
May 25, 2005
when maximizing images in cs2, when i close the other images do not follow and have to be maximized again

chrisjbirchall, "Maximizing all images on CS2" #2, 25 May 2005 1:36 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/1>

This should help.

Chris.

PS: sometimes the "changes" we need to make are not as big as they at first seem!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections