RL
Posted By
Richard_L._Casper
May 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve tried the 8-bit/16-bit channel route and also switching back & forth between grayscale and other modes. It seems obvious at this point that there is nothing I can do to fix or find why Adobe grays out "arbitrary" for bit depth = 1. There is no support for this very expensive program, and we all know Adobe’s mission statement is "GET THEIR MONEY AND SCREW ‘EM !.
Thanks, Pierre and both Chris’s, for your thoughts.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 12, 2005
Richard,

It seems silly to ask this, but did you do the arbitrary rotation while in, for example, the grayscale mode? Or did you simply try converting to another mode and then returning to Bitmap mode, followed by the attempted rotation? If you take a 1-bit image, convert it to grayscale, rotate arbitrary, then convert back to Bitmap, that should be an easy Action to create and seemingly solve your dilemma. I tend to agree with Pierre’s speculation that arbitrary rotation in 1-bit mode isn’t supported due to resampling issues…if you select a high zoom level of a non-rotated 1-bit image, you’ll see that it is cleanly composed of 2 colors, white & black. If you then convert to grayscale, those 2 colors are intact. But, once you arbitrarilyi rotate the canvas to any non-rectangular angle, additional colors are introduced into the grayscale image. So, it seems to me that Photoshop is effectively saying "I need some additional color values to work with, if I’m going to arbitrarily rotate this image, and you’ve not given them to me by staying in Bitmap mode." You’d think that an automatic mode conversion could be performed as need be to accomplish this objective; why it isn’t, we’d need one of the software developers to explain I suspect.

Regards,

Daryl
CC
Chris_Cox
May 13, 2005
We don’t do automatic depth conversion because we don’t like lying to customers or ruining their image data. If they want to do it and they find the results acceptable – then they can do it themselves. (some other products do automatic conversions, and people don’t realize that they’re doing damage to their images until too late)
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 13, 2005
It’s definitely prudent to err on the safe side…particularly in the event one fails to work on a duplicate of some precious image. 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections