CF
Posted By
Catherine_Fenner
Oct 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry for a pre-basic question. I usually use a digital camera and dusted off the old 35mm for vacation and shot 10 rolls. I’m trying to have the film developed and put directly on a CD. Everyone I’ve checked with is charging for developing (makes sense), prints AND CD. Anyone know where I can avoid the prints part and save some money? Online is fine.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Oct 9, 2003
Good luck. What they all do is to print them, scan in the images and you get the whole package. I tried the same thing myself prior to getting a digital camera.

Might be time to get a scanner to go along with the computer and digital camera………….

wrote in message
Sorry for a pre-basic question. I usually use a digital camera and dusted
off the old 35mm for vacation and shot 10 rolls. I’m trying to have the film developed and put directly on a CD. Everyone I’ve checked with is charging for developing (makes sense), prints AND CD. Anyone know where I can avoid the prints part and save some money? Online is fine.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 9, 2003
I can’t answer your question about who will do the CD without the prints, but be extra cautious about just what you’re getting on that CD. There was a recent thread from a person who was somewhat disappointed with the resolution of the images she got on a CD. There are different kinds of CDs – and the better they are the more expensive, naturally. The most common, the Picture CD, will severely limit what you can do with the digital images because the resolution isn’t very high. Do more research before you commit your 10 rolls of film! You might find you’ll wind up with better quality by getting the prints and scanning them yourself.
EM
Elena Murphy
Oct 9, 2003
Have you tried asking the processor? I like to get my negs developed with just an index print (the one with all the thumbnails on one paper) and I usually have to bug them to do it for me. They put on a big show about not knowing how much to charge me just to develop the film. Perhaps you can find a place that will do that with CDs too.

A quick look at www.photoworks.com (used to be Seattle Filmworks) and it looks like they might do just a CD as long as you let them develop your negs.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Oct 9, 2003
Absolutely…

WalMart, Sam’s, Costco, etc offer PictureCD, about 1024 pixels long side, I think, in JPEG only. Available from negs only.

PhotoCD are compressed 4.5MB .pcd files, with 5 imbedded resolutions: 192×128 (72KB)
384×256 (288KB)
768×512 (1.125MB)
1536×1024 (4.5MB)
3072×2048 (18MB)

$1- 1.50, depending on quanity. From slides or negs.

Mac
R
Ray
Oct 9, 2003
Catherine,

What I do is I go to a camera shop with processing facilities. I ask for the processing + CD, without the printing. They gladly do this all the time, and it cost be about 15$ for the first CD, than I think 9 or 12$ for the other ones, as long as they fit on one CD. They are regular pictures (1840 x 1232, 72 dpi). They only print an index card, not individual pictures.

If I want the better quality, the price goes up accordingly. I’m not sure but I think it’s 35$ for a roll, in TIFF, 300 dpi.

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 9, 2003
Mac, that’s a good price. My local shop charges $2 per image for Photo CD.
LK
Leen_Koper
Oct 9, 2003
10 Films = 360 images to be scanned.
Buy a Minolta Dual Scan lll at about $ 275.- and you will be scanning for less than $-.80 each at 2880 ppi.
Plus a lot of time, but as it is a hobby, this time is considered to be fun. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Leen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 9, 2003
Leen, so the III is the correct model – good! I’m going to try to shoot some slides soon, and wondered which (affordable) slide scanner would be the right choice.
LK
Leen_Koper
Oct 9, 2003
Chuck, I’ve been using it occasionally and the results are marvellous. It ‘s so easy, I even didnot have to read the manual!
The 2880 ppi allows 10×15 inch prints without any problem. Upscaling will do the rest. ๐Ÿ˜‰ In Europe it comes with an adapter for 6 35mm negatives and a holder for 4 slides. It ‘s not a high end scanner of course, but it does its job very well and I cannot see how you can get more value for the money. I noticed B&H sells it for about 275.-

Leen
R
Ray
Oct 9, 2003
Chuck,

You can’t go wrong with a Minolta. I have a previous model, Minolta Dimรขge Scan Dual II. It’s rather slow and somehow noisy, but does a fairly good job. The adapters leen are talking about are also included in North America.

Btw, for those who shoots APS, there’s an adapter for this particular (and I suspect it is also available for the newer ones) to scan APS films. APS films require this because the negative stays in the plastic capsule.

I’m not as fluent as Leen with photographic equipment, though, and I did have to read the manual. But it was time well spent.

Ray
BS
Bill_Salus
Oct 10, 2003
Look in the phone book for an independent shop. Sometimes they charge less for a superior product. Where I work we charge $3.79 a roll to develop the film and $7.50 per roll to burn a CD in either JPG (5 different resolutions) or as TIF. For JPG we can put up to 5 rolls on one CD.
GJ
Gary J Bevans
Oct 10, 2003
You usually get what you pay for the lower the price usually means lower quality.

You can get your images scanned on line at Sam’s Club you have to pay for the prints but they are fairly reasonably priced.

Gary

"Ray" wrote in message
Catherine,

What I do is I go to a camera shop with processing facilities. I ask for
the processing + CD,
without the printing. They gladly do this all the time, and it cost be
about 15$ for the first CD,
than I think 9 or 12$ for the other ones, as long as they fit on one CD.
They are regular pictures
(1840 x 1232, 72 dpi). They only print an index card, not individual
pictures.
If I want the better quality, the price goes up accordingly. I’m not sure
but I think it’s 35$ for
a roll, in TIFF, 300 dpi.

Ray

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections