ED
Posted By
Erica_D_Emery
Oct 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I posted a similar message a few days ago, but then seemed to answer my own question w/ some digging around. But, the problem has resurrected and my previous solution is not working!

When I have a graphic that has a "white box" or background, and I make the white "transparent" by using the magic erase tool, the "white" still appears when I place it on a colored background in PageMaker. I even checked the box that says "save transparency" when you "save as."

What am I doing wrong? How do I eliminate the white box? Is it something in the layers? Help!

Thank you,

Erica Emery

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EM
Elena Murphy
Oct 8, 2003
What format are you saving as?
ED
Erica_D_Emery
Oct 8, 2003
I tried TIFF….that’s what gives you the "save transparency" option. But I also tried JPEG and BMP.
EM
Elena Murphy
Oct 8, 2003
Is the background white or transparent when you reopen the image in Elements?
ED
Erica_D_Emery
Oct 8, 2003
It reopened as transparent (the check marks were in the background).
EM
Elena Murphy
Oct 8, 2003
Funky. I’d have to say the problem might be on the PageMaker side then. It sounds like Elements is making the background transparent as expected. You could try opening it in another application to see if the transparency is retained there. BTW, TIFF is the way to go. JPEG and BMP don’t really support transparency. Unfortunately I don’t know PM very well so if the problem is happening there I don’t have any suggestions.
ED
Erica_D_Emery
Oct 8, 2003
Funky is right! It worked fine the other day with the Ford logo I was using. I tried placing today’s logo in Microsoft Word….same problem. Thanks for trying to help me!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections