MR
Posted By
Mark_Reibman
Oct 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
About a week ago I was wandering through the Sunday Fremont Market in Seattle and met this guy with a kiosk who sells his photos with stamp borders. He takes his images and creates a faux stamp. He photographs things that are quite frequently ‘ordinary’ even ugly and transforms them into something very artistic and visually appealling and therefore marketable. His images are minimally manipulated with Photoshop to a very good effect. So, how does he make this stamp edges that look so realistic?

I see something like this in Bob Warren’s challenge for this week on a smaller scale and I suspect he may have the technique. Any input is appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ray
Oct 7, 2003
Mark,

I don’t have the time to give a full detailed procedure, but basically, you create a new document, larger than the picture you want to put the stamp effect on, and put your image in the center of it.
Using the pattern option in the Paint Bucket, make a layer of circles under the image. Make sure the circle’s size is a number than can divide the picture’s size entirely (like 10 / 2 = 5, not 10 /
4 = 2.5). If you have a picture of 400×600, make this new layer 420×620 (I didn’t have time to try this morning, so other numbers might look better).

(Note to self : never try to speak English at 6h45 AM.. !)

Make a third new layer, add some color (this color will be come your stamp edges)

Now, you’ll to make a selection around your picture, larger, to include only half of the circle. Those half circles will become your stamp edges. I’m sure this is not clear, but probably someone (Jodi) will pick it up and explain if you have problems.

Ray
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 7, 2003
You could also try out the two stamp shapes available in Custom Shapes (on v2, at least… don’t know about v1) in the "Objects" category.

Byron
PD
Pete_D
Oct 7, 2003
You could also try out the two stamp shapes available in Custom Shapes (on v2, at least… don’t know about v1) in the "Objects" category.

Byron

I am looking through the "objects" category under custom shapes and of the 73 choices in there I do not see a Stamp shape? (PSE2) Did you download this from somewhere?

Had the same problem this morning when I looked for the "Circles" Ray mentioned…. I’ve got no circles?

Pete
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 7, 2003
Hi, Pete…

I also have 73 items in the "objects" category, so I don’t think that the Stamp shapes are something I downloaded.

If I set my Custom Shape palette to display in "small thumbnail" mode, I see the shapes organized in rows of six., yielding 12 rows of six, and a single shape on the 13th row. In this view, the two stamp shapes are on the sixth row, in the two extreme right-hand positions. One is a solid stamp shape, and the other is a hollow outline of the same shape.

I looked at the list in all possible views (large, small, text…) and the two stamp shapes are always located between "paper clip" and "confetti".

HTH,

Byron
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 7, 2003
Pete,

You need to create a pattern yourself. Use the Shape tool to draw a perfect circle in a smaller document. Then, Edit / Define pattern. Make sur the cirle fills the entire document (the smaller one). For a 400×400 image, a nice edge would be like 20 pixels circle.

Once I get home, I’ll be able to put some print screen to explain what I fail to do with words 🙂

Ray
PD
Pete_D
Oct 7, 2003
Thanks Byron,

Oh yeah, they are there; I just need the view to be large thumbnails 🙂 (or maybe new bifocals)

Pete
PD
Pete_D
Oct 7, 2003
You need to create a pattern yourself. >

Ray,

OK. I can handle that. I thought there was an "object" already there when I read your post this morning.

Pete

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections