Posted By
Eva_Searle
Apr 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello – can anyone help please?

I have just installed Photoshop 7 for System 10.2.3 on my Mac (G4), which was previously running system 9. The software sems to work fine, but ….

I can’t scan anything as Photoshop doesn’t seem to be able to see the scanner. I have downloaded the scanner update software, but when I tried to istall it my computer said it was not needed. The scanner is an Agfa Arcus 1200, should that be helpful to know.

Does anyone know what I need to do please? I have tried File/Import, but there are only 3 options: anti alias pict, pdf image and pict resource. I also tried in Image Ready but no luck there either: There were the three mentioned above, TWAIN acquire and TWAIN select, but when I tried to select or acquire it said there were no devices.

Thanks, Eva

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Apr 26, 2004
first you should update to 10.2.8

use software update, this wont help you with scanning but will give you a faster more stable system.

you don’t say what scanner you are using. you will most likely need to download the drivers for OSX. If its a Umax there arn’t any I recomend a scanning app called VueScan this app works independently of photoshop. this will allow you to scan and work in PS at the same time. you can find VueScan at <http://www.hamrick.com> Nice thing about Vuescan is it works with many scanners.
JF
john_findley
Apr 26, 2004
Have you tried dragging the old Agfa Arcus 1200 🙂 software driver to the trash before installing the update? This is not usually necessary, but just a thought.
B
Buko
Apr 26, 2004
oops! I missed that. not enough coffee at 6:02
JF
john_findley
Apr 26, 2004
Yeah. I know just what you mean 🙂 .

I second the Vuescan suggestion. It works great on my Polaroid Sprintscan 35+ slide scanner, but won’t recognize my archaic MirrorScan flatbed.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Apr 26, 2004
Can you do a custom install of your scanner sw? If so, you could just install the plugins with the installer if the plugins can’t be found after a scanner sw full install, but you have to navigate directly to the plugins import/export folder in the PS folder to do it.

Also, you might have to drag the TWAIN plugin’s out before you install because, for some reason, it causes the installer to make multiple copies of your scanner plugin appear in the import menu of PS, but the name of the plugin can’t be found anywhere on the system.

At least this is what I have to do with my Agfa Arcus II’s FotoLook 3.6.2 scanner sw installer on OS 9.2.2 and PS 7.01. What I did to get rid of the multiple copies was custom uninstall the plugins with the TWAIN plugin already removed from PS’s folder. The installer gave a message that there wasn’t anything to uninstall.

After a restart my invisible scanner plugins are now in the trash (about 6 of them-removing TWAIN took away one more in the import menu). I dragged one directly into PS’s import/export folder and now I have one plugin and can see the name as well. It works just fine out of PS.

Now this might not answer your problem. But since agfa gave up on prosumer flatbed scanners, thought I’ld let you know the tricks I have to perform with their poorly updated installers. If I’m having this much trouble on OS 9.2.2, I can’t imagine what hell you might be having for OS X and your Agfa scanner driver version.

Right now I’m picking up 6 to 7 year old scanners at thrift stores for about $6 and downloading their drivers off the web just to see how they work on my pismo and OS 9.2.2. Microtek E3, Umax Astra 1200s etc.-they all have somewhat flakey or hard to find updated installers. Or you have to buy a more expensive alternate brand.

Installed demo of Vuescan and it worked without any problems, but I didn’t use their plugin if it had any.
R
Ram
Apr 26, 2004
VueScan is strictly a stand alone application. No plug-ins.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Apr 26, 2004
Hi Ramon,

I still use your navigate to folder suggestion. Was wondering if you had the same kind of problem with your Arcus and FotoLook. You’ve probably moved on to bigger and better upgrades by now. I paid way to much for my scanner to just let it go and get a newer one.

The old Profile Exporter plugin to create a profile of my scanner from an it8 works like you said. But for some reason it creates an out of ICC specs profile according to Profile FirstAid that still shows up and works in all apps.
R
Ram
Apr 27, 2004
Tim,

I still use your navigate to folder suggestion.

I’m embarrassed to say I don’t remember any specifics. Is there a chance you might be mistaken? I’m certainly and hopelessly in the dark when you mention Arcus and FotoLook.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Apr 27, 2004
Sorry, Ramon, my mistake. It was Sylvain Gringas’ suggestions I’m referring to. It was quite a ways back and at my age, my memory seems the first to go.

I’m also a bit tuckered out troubleshooting a corrupt control strip module issue which I just resolved.
R
Ram
Apr 27, 2004
Thanks for clearing that up, Tim. As you can tell, I couldn’t rely on my memory either. 🙂
J
jwood
Apr 27, 2004
Eva,

Is that a SCSI scanner? Because I have to keep OS 9.2.2 on my G4 to do the scanning with.

OS 10.3.3 doesn’t see the SCSI card in this machine No matter what Adaptec says.

So I am stuck with running both Operating Systems.

John
R
Ram
Apr 27, 2004
jwood,

Panther sees the SCSI card on my Dual G4 just fine.

Here’s what System Profiler has to say:

ADPT,1686806-04:

Name: ADPT,2930CU
Type: scsi
Bus: PCI
Slot: SLOT-5
Vendor ID: 0x9004
Device ID: 0x5078
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x9004
Subsystem ID: 0x7850
Revision ID: 0x0003
R
Ram
Apr 27, 2004
I have four SCSI devices connected through that card and they all work.
J
jwood
Apr 27, 2004
Ramón G Castañeda,

It was a SUGGESTION of something to check out.

I am Happy your 2930 card works with 10.3.3

My 2906 Does not.

Sorry I posted a suggestion.

J
J
jwood
Apr 27, 2004
B
Buko
Apr 27, 2004
I’m using a 2906 SCSI card in my G4. Panther does not see the card in Profiler but I have a Umax 1200s and a Zip drive hooked up to it. Both work just as they should. Ed Hamrick has had to modify Vuescan so that it will work with Panther and my Umax but everything works fine.
J
jwood
Apr 27, 2004
Ramón G Castañeda,

It will scan on this G4 in 10.3.3
I stand corrected please accept my apology.

I get grouchy at 4 am.

John
J
jwood
Apr 27, 2004
Buko,

You I have to THANK BIG TIME,

THANKS TO YOU, I finally got my Epson 870 to work with the REAL Epson drivers and not the Generic one that used to come up. I had to do a custom install of OS 10 to get the driver because the install disk was not installing the whole Epson Driver Package. I persisted because you told someone that yours worked.

Now THANKS TO YOU I can scan from 10.3.3 I downloaded VueScan and tried it on both my Polaroid 35 plus and my Studio Star and it worked great. So I bought it. The SCSI card still does not show in the system profiler. I had tried before and it didn’t work. You have the same card as me so I figured that it must be me doing something wrong AGAIN.
Ramón G Castañeda has a different card than I do and I thought that might be why his worked and mine did not
But I had to reformat the drive and reinstall everything a couple of weeks ago and it sure works now.

We may not have solved Eva’s problem, but you guys sure solved mine.

Thanks Again,

John
R
Ram
Apr 27, 2004
John,

Both in 9.x and in OS X I have learned to mistrust the “(Apple) System Profiler". There are a bunch of things it doesn’t see but work perfectly well both in my new G4 and the Old FrankenMac. This is especially true of ZIF upgrade cards where Apple System Profiler never sees the Back Cache despite its being properly and fully enabled.

Apple is aware of the shortcomings of the Apple System Profiler even if they won’t admit it and decline to fix it. As far as I’m concerned, it’s only good for pulling the serial number of your machine so you can write it down somewhere.

That’s the reason I posted the particulars. I wasn’t trying to contradict anybody, but rather attempting to encourage folks to keep trying.
B
Buko
Apr 27, 2004
Buko, You I have to THANK BIG TIME,

Glad I could help.

now if only everyone felt that way. B)
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 27, 2004
Okay, scasn wizards, here’s one for you, that happens on several machines in Panther. Canoscan LiDE 30 (admittedly a cheapo scanner) using their ScanGear software (plugin). The first time in a session you try to import it gives an error message:

"Cannot commmunicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected. (it isn’t) Check status. Scanner driver will be closed."

Hit OK and try again and it works fine. This is on every machine, every time!

A minor inconvenience but still I’d like to fix it. BTW it did not do this in 9.2. Any ideas?

Thanks.
J
jwood
Apr 27, 2004
Buko,

If you are ever coming to Toronto, let me know and you get a free lunch.

John
B
Buko
Apr 27, 2004
Don’t use cannon software?

hard to say no experience with that model
J
jwood
Apr 27, 2004
Ramón G Castañeda,

Thank You, Good old Apple, I didn’t know that the profiler was iffy at best. I sure am learning to mistrust it also.

John
B
Buko
Apr 27, 2004
Its not that the profiler is iffy, its more that OSX doesn’t like SCSI.

you notice the B&W G3s, G4s and G5s don’t have built in SCSI

Apple has moved away from it to better device connection methods,

USB and Firewire.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 27, 2004
Unfortunately I am limited in what software I can use by what the company buys and uses. Maybe I’ll find a workaround or something. I wonder if the tech foks need to install newer drivers, though it seems unlikely they would overlook that. I’ll ask them.
R
Ram
Apr 28, 2004
Buko,

The Apple System Profiler is iffy with a bunch of other stuff, not just SCSI. It fails to see some of the devices attached to the FireWire card (e. g. it misses my Epson 2200 printer) and also some USB devices, all of which work fine. I had already mentioned its failure to recognize the Back Cache in ZIF upgrades when enabled. It also thinks I have an “Unknown” V.9 modem with a v.1.2.6 driver even though I in fact have no modem. Curiously enough it does see all SCSI devices. Go figure.

It used to frustrate me no end, but now I just chuckle.
B
Buko
Apr 28, 2004
I just noticed It does not see my 2200.

hmmmm…

but there is something attached listed as E

since I only have 2 firewire devices attached at the moment that must be the 2200 although it does not say its a printer.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Apr 28, 2004
Well I just got that old 1998 $6 scsi Microtek Scanmaker E3 up and running without a hitch on my OS 9.2.2 pismo. The installer was so oddball interfaced and scattered files all over the system, but it worked on first scan with no lockups or error messages using an old styled PS plugin.

I thought for sure it was going to choke PS with the way it installed a readme file and installer log in the import/export folder. Though ScanWizard’s interface is a bit convoluted it gives very quick full pixel previews with live zoomed in scrolling much like PS and this is a low level scanner.

I still get a lockup regardless what is attached to the Adaptec Slimscsi 1480 pcmcia card after a long session of inactivity. The Energy Saver is set to never sleep for system, display and HD.

System Profiler only sees it as a scsi 0 bus with the name Adaptec nowhere to be found. Heck, an obscure brand Alcor Micro Connectors keyboard and Belkin USB mouse appear showing power usage in milliamps, name and firmware version.
B
Buko
Apr 28, 2004
Tim, System profiler does not even show I have a SCSI card connected to the G4 let alone 2 devices attached to the card. But they both work. 10.3.3 does not like my Adaptec 2906
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Apr 29, 2004
I can’t remember, does OS X still have the Extension Manager?

I just discovered what was causing the lockup. It was all the Toast extensions for my scsi cdrw. For some reason I have to leave my pismo alone and wait at least 3 hours for it to lockup. Took a wild guess and disabled them. Fixed it. Of course I had to let it set for over 5 hours just to be sure.

Troubleshooting hell!
R
Ram
Apr 29, 2004
Tim,

No, extensions as such are gone in OS X, therefore so is the Extension Manager.

One of the things I learned to disable right after installing or re-installing 9.x was the Control Strip extension and associated files. Nothing but trouble. Same for Desktop Printer extension and related files.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Apr 29, 2004
Yeah, the control strip, it was you that gave that tip. Thanks for that one, Ramon.

I just had problems with it appearing on the desktop the other day when a friend at Apple Forums suggested I might have a corrupt module. I did. It was the SuperRez module. I dragged it out onto the desktop and tried to drag it back and the CS disappeared. Weird!

Creeped me out how corruption can make the Mac interface behave.
JM
jigsaw_merge
Apr 30, 2004
"…The scanner is an Agfa Arcus 1200"

I will do my best to keep this relatively short. I have recently "upgraded" to 10.33. I spent quite a bit of time getting my Agfa DuoScan up and running, to no avail. It too is a scsi scanner – and no, Agfa no longer supports what we were sold. I dl’d FotoLook 3.6 for X, but it didn’t recognize the scanner – I thought the scanner was dead. I then tried VueScan and, lo and behold, it recognized it and even did a scan. It isn’t what you would call a very powerful bit of software, but it worked. From what I have found, the best thing out there is Silverfast – very powerful and very expensive. I will scan in OS9 myself. Good Luck.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Apr 30, 2004
Versiontracker has the latest Agfa Fotolook driver for OS X-4.60.4

< http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11245& vid=26321>
JM
jigsaw_merge
Apr 30, 2004
Uh Tim,

You got me all excited there for a moment, so I went to VersionTracker to check it out… It is as I had previously found; the newest (and last) version of FotoLook is 3.60.4. Below are snippets of feedback regarding this new version for X:

"I have dug deep to research whether Fotolook will work with the Adaptec 2906 SCSI card and AGFA Duoscan T1200 scanner and the answer is ‘no it doesn’t’, this is from AGFA themselves. Save yourselves the grief and use Vuescan – it worked without any problems…"

"Agfa will not be updating this for Panther. They can only suggest buying Silverfast for Euro/$299. They should be ‘encouraged’ to offer a free upgrade to Silverfast out of a sence of decency (or guilt) for abandoning its customers."

"Agfa are well aware of the huge problems they have caused by refusing to develop updated Panther drivers. They have completely abandoned their customers …"

So unless Agfa feels a twinge of guilt about leaving their customers in the dust, it would seem we either move on to the limited VueScan, the expensive Silverfast, invest in a new scanner or scan in OS9. If there is something else out there, I would love to hear it.
J
jwood
Apr 30, 2004
Buko,

Can you output RAW files with Vuescan?

I looked through the trial version and couldn’t find it.

Yes I saw on the site that it is supposed to do RAW, but I would like to hear from someone who HAS done them, and will PS raw plugin handle them.

Thanks,

John
B
Buko
Apr 30, 2004
I believe it reads RAW but so does Photoshop CS
R
Ram
May 1, 2004
John,

The answer to your question is that VueScan does output to a RAW file.

Here’s the complete user guide:

<http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/html/vuesc.htm>

[ADDED:] and here’s the topic on RAW files:

<http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/html/vuesc4.htm#topic3>
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 1, 2004
Epson has come out with their new 2004 flatbeds at 4800 optical resolution and 16 bit external output to allow you to get rid of your dedicated slide scanner. There are two $500 and $600 models only for OS 10.2 and up.

Check it out:

<http://www.macminute.com/2004/01/06/epsonscanners>
J
jwood
May 1, 2004
Buko,

I want to scan an image in on either the Polaroid or the Agfa and save the scan as a raw file, then use Photoshop to work the raw file.

Will the Photoshop plug in read the raw file generated by Vuescan?

I thought that you may be using the raw feature.

John
J
jwood
May 1, 2004
Ramón G Castañeda,

Thanks, I did see that in the manual. BUT, I just want to be able to do a single scan, then save the scan as a raw file, then hopefully use Photoshop to work the raw file.
I don’t want to batch scan.

I was hoping that someone was using the raw feature and could say if it worked with Photoshop raw plugin.
Because if it works I will upgrade from the Standard to The Pro version that has the raw feature.

Thanks,

John
B
Buko
May 1, 2004
Have not tried yet
Z
Zeb
May 1, 2004
Quote ‘Thomas Knoll’ – Adobe Camera Raw reads camera raw files, not scanner (‘raw’) files. Different format.
R
Ram
May 1, 2004
John,

Sorry, I thought you meant scanner raw file format for VueScan to process, which is what VueScan does. Zeb gave you the correct answer about what ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) reads.
J
jwood
May 1, 2004
Zeb,

Thanks, I won’t bother to upgrade to the pro version then.

John
J
jwood
May 1, 2004
Ramón G Castañeda,

Thanks, too bad I really love that camera RAW format, you can do so much with it. I was hoping that I could do it with the scanner files too.

John
R
Ram
May 1, 2004
John,

I was hoping that I could do it with the scanner files too.

It wouldn’t hurt to visit the Adobe Camera Raw forum and leave a feature request there.
J
jwood
May 1, 2004
Ramón G Castañeda,

Thanks, I had no idea that there is a Camera RAW forum.

While I would love to be able to read scanner raw files I figure that they probably are working on something for the scanners. They probably have their hands full with what they are doing now.

Besides they probably read this forum also.

John
R
Ram
May 1, 2004
… besides they probably read this forum also.

You can bet the one person most responsible for ACR is much more active over there. 🙂
R
Ram
May 1, 2004
Photoshop Camera Raw plugin discissions;

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de806fd>
K
khz
May 2, 2004
"Agfa will not be updating this for Panther. They can only suggest buying Silverfast for Euro/$299. They should be ‘encouraged’ to offer a free upgrade to Silverfast out of a sence of decency (or guilt) for abandoning its customers."
he expensive Silverfast, ………..

*** LaserSoft Imaging will soon offer a low cost version of SilverFast for all Agfa-Scanners***

LaserSoft Imaging will soon offer an OS-X compatible SilverFast SE (a 49$ Internet online version) for most of the Agfa-Scanners, such as the Duoscans.

Check back on our website at http://www.silverfast.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections