R
Posted By
rdoc2
Nov 17, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using a Nikon D80 and if I open a jpeg file straight into Photoshop it opens with the setting of 12.907 width and 8.64 height with a 300ppi. Now if I open it first into Camera raw what settings should I use for Camera Raw’s exporting size and ppi when I export it to Photoshop? I am happy with the size that it opened from the camera straight into Photoshop.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
jaSPAMc
Nov 17, 2009
RDOC found these unused words:

I am using a Nikon D80 and if I open a jpeg file straight into Photoshop it opens with the setting of 12.907 width and 8.64 height with a 300ppi. Now if I open it first into Camera raw what settings should I use for Camera Raw’s exporting size and ppi when I export it to Photoshop? I am happy with the size that it opened from the camera straight into Photoshop.

Read the camera’s manual.

It should tell you what the ‘native’ RAW specifications are.

The ppi doesn’t matter, only PIXELS. You can then set anything you like from there.
R
rdoc2
Nov 17, 2009
On Nov 17, 10:52 am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

The ppi doesn’t matter, only PIXELS. You can then set anything you like from there.

I am not shooting in Raw but opening my jpeg files in the Camera Raw element of Photoshop and doing adjustments there and than exporting into Photoshop and finishing the image there and printing in Photoshop with my Epson printer.
A
Alex
Nov 17, 2009
RDOC wrote:

I am not shooting in Raw but opening my jpeg files in the Camera Raw element of Photoshop and doing adjustments there and than exporting into Photoshop and finishing the image there and printing in Photoshop with my Epson printer.

The setting of 12.907 x 8.604 is not your native pixel size. The D80 supports a max size of 3872 x 2592. If your RAW does have that size, stick to it. Click on the line at the bottom of the window and in the pop-up window you can reset it to the values of your choice.

Greetings, Alex
J
jaSPAMc
Nov 17, 2009

Still doesn’t matter, see your manual for the camera.
It will tell you what the PIXELS are for the ‘quality’ you have selected. PPI, DPI or whatever are unimportant until you go to print.

Then just set the size you want, with ‘Resample’ OFF and the dpi will be automatically set to tell the printer your finished inches.

I don’t see that opening a jpeg in ‘raw’ gains anything! ANY jpeg is an alteration of the original RAW capture capability of the camera ..
R
rdoc2
Nov 17, 2009
On Nov 17, 4:31 pm, Alex wrote:
RDOC wrote:

The setting of 12.907 x 8.604 is not your native pixel size. The D80 supports a max size of 3872 x 2592. If your RAW does have that size, stick to it. Click on the line at the bottom of the window and in the pop-up window you can reset it to the values of your choice.

Greetings, Alex

Are you saying that I can change the native pixel size of the D80 by changing those values in ACR (by Clicking on the line at the bottom of the window and in the pop-up window choosing the value of my choice)? If that is what you are saying is this done without any loss of quality to the image if it is printed at this new pixel size?
R
rdoc2
Nov 17, 2009
On Nov 17, 4:48 pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

It will tell you what the PIXELS are for the ‘quality’ you have selected. PPI, DPI or whatever are unimportant until you go to print.
Then just set the size you want, with ‘Resample’ OFF and the dpi will be automatically set to tell the printer your finished inches.
I don’t see that opening a jpeg in ‘raw’ gains anything! ANY jpeg is an alteration of the original RAW capture capability of the camera .

You are really confusing me. The reason I open a jpeg in ACR is I find that it has an advantage for making adjustments to the image similar to Lightroom but a little less conjested than Lightroom and easier to get to. Also the images that I am working on will be printed so that it does matter since the final ppi will need to be 300 or 360ppi for printing to a canon or epson printer. The final size will be 8×10 inches or 11×14 inches.
J
jaSPAMc
Nov 18, 2009

On Nov 17, 4:48 pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

I don’t see that opening a jpeg in ‘raw’ gains anything! ANY jpeg is an alteration of the original RAW capture capability of the camera .

You are really confusing me. The reason I open a jpeg in ACR is I find that it has an advantage for making adjustments to the image similar to Lightroom but a little less conjested than Lightroom and easier to get to. Also the images that I am working on will be printed so that it does matter since the final ppi will need to be 300 or 360ppi for printing to a canon or epson printer. The final size will be 8×10 inches or 11×14 inches.

Take the image and [presuming that the RAW mode has it] look at the menu "Image", then "Image Size".

UN select "Resample Image" and set your print width.

The rest will be filled in as you need.

Continue processing.

This will use the full amount of PIXELS your camera has shot.

Frankly, that would be the LAST step I would ever do, but each to their own methods.
J
jaSPAMc
Nov 18, 2009

RDOC wrote:

Greetings, Alex

Are you saying that I can change the native pixel size of the D80 by changing those values in ACR (by Clicking on the line at the bottom of the window and in the pop-up window choosing the value of my choice)? If that is what you are saying is this done without any loss of quality to the image if it is printed at this new pixel size?

NO, he’s saying thst the CAMERA shoots 3872 x 2592 as a -=maximum=-. There will be camera settings that will -=shoot=- less.

What you then choose to do will alter the image. See other post for the method to set PRINT size without altering PIXELS.
R
rdoc2
Nov 18, 2009
On Nov 17, 7:13 pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

RDOC wrote:

Greetings, Alex

NO, he’s saying thst the CAMERA shoots 3872 x 2592 as a -=maximum=-. There will be camera settings that will -=shoot=- less.

What you then choose to do will alter the image. See other post for the method to set PRINT size without altering PIXELS.

Ok I understand what you are saying but following what you stated that gives me an end product that is less than 10.5 x 8 inches at 360 ppi which is what I am trying to get. Therefore I have two choices print a smaller picture which I don’t want to do, so do I decrease the resolution to about 324 ppi that will do it but my Epson printer says print at 360 ppi? Another choice is to increase the image size in Photoshop by 10% increments at a time to up it from 10.756 x 7.2 to end up with 10.5 x 8.0 after getting it a litter larger and than cropping it? Which way in your eyes is the best way for me to go?
MR
Mike Russell
Nov 18, 2009
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:15:11 -0800 (PST), RDOC wrote:

RDOC wrote:

Greetings, Alex

Ok I understand what you are saying but following what you stated that gives me an end product that is less than 10.5 x 8 inches at 360 ppi which is what I am trying to get. Therefore I have two choices print a smaller picture which I don’t want to do, so do I decrease the resolution to about 324 ppi that will do it but my Epson printer says print at 360 ppi? Another choice is to increase the image size in Photoshop by 10% increments at a time to up it from 10.756 x 7.2 to end up with 10.5 x 8.0 after getting it a litter larger and than cropping it? Which way in your eyes is the best way for me to go?

Suggestions, in order of preference:
1) Print and forget. Let the printer driver do the work of resampling the image.
2) Resize to 360 ppi, and sharpen to taste. Sharpening is, or should be, part of your normal work flow. I suggest using Filter>Sharpen>Unsharp Mask, with a radius between .5 and 1.0 and 75 to 125 percent. —
Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
R
rdoc2
Nov 18, 2009
On Nov 17, 10:58 pm, Mike Russell
wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:15:11 -0800 (PST), RDOC wrote:

RDOC wrote:

Greetings, Alex

1) Print and forget. Let the printer driver do the work of resampling the image.
2) Resize to 360 ppi, and sharpen to taste. Sharpening is, or should be, part of your normal work flow. I suggest using Filter>Sharpen>Unsharp Mask, with a radius between .5 and 1.0 and 75 to 125 percent. —
Mike Russell -http://www.curvemeister.com

Mike in suggestion #1 are you saying that if I print for example with a resolution of 200 ppi and the printer wants a resolution of 360 ppi it will do it by itself before it prints by doing its own resampling? Or if I don’t like that way I can chose to go the way of #2 instead rather than picking #1 in the first place? Am I reading you right?
MR
Mike Russell
Nov 18, 2009
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:05:27 -0800 (PST), RDOC wrote:

wrote:

Mike in suggestion #1 are you saying that if I print for example with a resolution of 200 ppi and the printer wants a resolution of 360 ppi it will do it by itself before it prints by doing its own resampling? Or if I don’t like that way I can chose to go the way of #2 instead rather than picking #1 in the first place? Am I reading you right?

Exactly. The 360 ppi is said to be a sweet spot for Epson printers, but I have not found this to be the case – the printer driver will do a resize automatically.

Many people neglect sharpening altogether – if you are concerned about the quality of your final image, sharpening is highly advisable. —
R
rdoc2
Nov 18, 2009
On Nov 18, 12:22 am, Mike Russell
wrote:
wrote:

Exactly. The 360 ppi is said to be a sweet spot for Epson printers, but I have not found this to be the case – the printer driver will do a resize automatically.

Many people neglect sharpening altogether – if you are concerned about the quality of your final image, sharpening is highly advisable. —

Thanks Mike, I always do a sharpening as my last step. I guess your wording above is a little confusing when you say the print driver will do a resize automatically since if I am right it just adjusts the resolution and the pixels before printing and not the size (width and height).
MR
Mike Russell
Nov 18, 2009
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:13:00 -0800 (PST), RDOC wrote:

wrote:
wrote:

Thanks Mike, I always do a sharpening as my last step. I guess your wording above is a little confusing when you say the print driver will do a resize automatically since if I am right it just adjusts the resolution and the pixels before printing and not the size (width and height).

The driver actually resamples the image pixels so that they will match what the printer expects. Normally a bicubic resize is used. Internally, the printer driver maps a horizontal swath of memory, called a band, that represents the printer’s output image to the original image. This is repeated during the print process, until the entire image is printed.

In theory, you could improve on this by resizing the image yourself in Photoshop. In practice, over a period of years of using Epson printers, and answering people’s questions about them here and elsewhere, I have never seen a difference myself, or heard anyone say that there was a difference between the two methods. That does not mean there is no difference, and I would be interested in any experiences you might have. —
R
rdoc2
Nov 18, 2009
On Nov 18, 1:21 am, Mike Russell
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

The driver actually resamples the image pixels so that they will match what the printer expects. Normally a bicubic resize is used. Internally, the printer driver maps a horizontal swath of memory, called a band, that represents the printer’s output image to the original image. This is repeated during the print process, until the entire image is printed.
In theory, you could improve on this by resizing the image yourself in Photoshop. In practice, over a period of years of using Epson printers, and answering people’s questions about them here and elsewhere, I have never seen a difference myself, or heard anyone say that there was a difference between the two methods. That does not mean there is no difference, and I would be interested in any experiences you might have. —

Mike I want to thank you for a very well expressed answer and must say I fully understand it now and can proceed and print with the feeling that I know what I am doing. Thanks and have a great day.
R
rdoc2
Nov 18, 2009
On Nov 18, 1:21 am, Mike Russell
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

I do have two little questions for you. Does this still hold true if Photoshop does the Color Management? Last question do you have the printer or Photoshop manage the color, and does one do a better job? Short to the point answers will be fine.
J
jaSPAMc
Nov 18, 2009
Mike Russell found these unused words:

wrote:

Many people neglect sharpening altogether – if you are concerned about the quality of your final image, sharpening is highly advisable.

One trick I have used regarding the Unsharp Mask, is to slightly over apply the settings, then ^Z to back up. In earlier editions of PS, the first selections in the Filters menu were to apply and to apply with a percentage or ‘Fade’. Using the latter you can avoid some of the apparent ringing, yet gain a touch more ‘edge’ as the ‘whites’ are softened in the actual ‘sharpening’ adjustment.

Since that time, the abiility has moved around, in 7, it’s under the Edit Menu.

[image sent to Mike for his comments.]
N
nomail
Nov 18, 2009
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Greetings, Alex

You guys are confusing the OP unnecessarily with information that is wrong, or at least partially wrong. If you shoot in RAW, your camera has only *one* pixel size: the maximum pixel size. Nikon does not offer something like sRAW! Smaller sizes are only possible if you shoot JPEG. The 12.907 x 8.604 setting is indeed the maximum size because the OP is obviously talking about 12.907 x 8.604 INCHES and he said 300 ppi, so do the math: 12.907 inch x 300 pixels/inch = 3872 pixels and 8.604 inch x 300 pixels/inch = 2592 pixels.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
J
jaSPAMc
Nov 18, 2009
(Johan W. Elzenga) found these unused words:

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Greetings, Alex

You guys are confusing the OP unnecessarily with information that is wrong, or at least partially wrong. If you shoot in RAW, your camera has only *one* pixel size: the maximum pixel size. Nikon does not offer something like sRAW! Smaller sizes are only possible if you shoot JPEG. The 12.907 x 8.604 setting is indeed the maximum size because the OP is obviously talking about 12.907 x 8.604 INCHES and he said 300 ppi, so do the math: 12.907 inch x 300 pixels/inch = 3872 pixels and 8.604 inch x 300 pixels/inch = 2592 pixels.

Yes, and OP -=also=- said he was shooting JPEGS and -=opening=- as if they were RAW.

Thus he could have selectd a -=smaller=- jpeg and thus the comment was appropriate.

Does Nikon really store 300 dpi in the EXIF as it’s setting – or is it as with most cameras, ‘saved’ at 72 dpi?

[Not that it matters as at this stage it’s only PIXELS that count.]
N
nomail
Nov 18, 2009
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Yes, and OP -=also=- said he was shooting JPEGS and -=opening=- as if they were RAW.

Thus he could have selectd a -=smaller=- jpeg and thus the comment was appropriate.

The OP said he was getting JPEG’s of 12.907 x 8.604 at 300 ppi. That is a full size image, period. Then he asked about RAW, which is *always* full size. There was never any indication in his message that he could have have selected a smaller JPEG image size, so that comment was only confusing.

Does Nikon really store 300 dpi in the EXIF as it’s setting – or is it as with most cameras, ‘saved’ at 72 dpi?

I have no idea, but apparently so. Many cameras do not write any ppi (not dpi) value at all in the EXIF headers. It’s Photoshop which cannot cope with that, so it defaults to 72 ppi if it can’t find any info.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
J
jaSPAMc
Nov 19, 2009
(Johan W. Elzenga) found these unused words:

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

The OP said he was getting JPEG’s of 12.907 x 8.604 at 300 ppi. That is a full size image, period. Then he asked about RAW, which is *always* full size.

NO!

He said [prior to you snipping] that he was OPENING the JPEGS as RAW.

He made NO statement about what level/size he saved the JPEGs! Thus a comment about possible other sizes than maximum -=was=- appropriate.

If you want to learn, you will get confused, it’s the nature of a complex subject.

When you puzzle through, you will arrive at a better understanding of both your equipment and the software.
N
nomail
Nov 19, 2009
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

He said [prior to you snipping] that he was OPENING the JPEGS as RAW.

Correct. I thought he was asking about using RAW rather than JPEG, but on reading it again he’s asking about using Camera RAW on the JPEG’s.

He made NO statement about what level/size he saved the JPEGs!

He did make that statement between the lines. This is the complete original message. I didn’t snip a word:

Read his last sentence. He says he’s happy with the size that it opened from the camera straight into Photoshop. That makes it rather unlikely that he reduces that size when saving the JPEG again, wouldn’t you agree? And even if he did, that is not relevant for the question he asked.

J
Joel
Nov 20, 2009
RDOC wrote:

It doesn’t matter what PPI you may wanna use, cuz it doesn’t mean much or nothing. Or the 1-PPI may have exact same value of 300-PPI or 3000-PPI

Or if you have 1 US$ then it should equal to

(2) 1/2 dollar
(4) quarters
(10) dimes
(20) nickels
(100) pennies
J
Joel
Nov 20, 2009
RDOC wrote:

<snip>

I would suggest to leave the H x W x R alone for whatever MAX pixel it’s. The CROP to the *RATIO* you wish to print. Example

CROP to 2×3 to print

4×6 – 8×12 – 16×24 – 32×48 and so on

CROP to 4×5 to print

4×5 – 8×10 – 18×20 – 36×40 and so on
J
Joel
Nov 20, 2009
RDOC wrote:

I do have two little questions for you. Does this still hold true if Photoshop does the Color Management? Last question do you have the printer or Photoshop manage the color, and does one do a better job? Short to the point answers will be fine.

This one, I would say PRINT BOTH then study them to give yourself the answer. Then post the result here so we can learn from you.
J
Joel
Nov 20, 2009
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

[Not that it matters as at this stage it’s only PIXELS that count.]

Some camera saves as 72-ppi, some saves as 95-ppi, some saves as 115-PPI, and some camerea saves as different PPI’s but to me it doesn’t much much or any difference what PPI the camera may save to.
MR
Mike Russell
Nov 20, 2009
RDOC wrote:

It’s a matter of convenience rather than the quality of the final result. If you use several different paper stocks, or use the same printer for text and photographs, it’s probably more convenient to control the color in Photoshop. That way you can select the profile that is right for the type of paper you are using.

R
rdoc2
Nov 21, 2009
On Nov 20, 3:58 am, Mike Russell
wrote:
RDOC wrote:

It’s a matter of convenience rather than the quality of the final result. If you use several different paper stocks, or use the same printer for text and photographs, it’s probably more convenient to control the color in Photoshop. That way you can select the profile that is right for the type of paper you are using.

Very interesting subject with a lot of help from all so let me say thanks to all your help has really been appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections