SP
Posted By
Steve_Patton
Oct 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
He everyone, this is my first post here, Im hoping ya’ll can help me out with this problem. Whenever I open up photoshop elements, I get the error message "Cannot complete your request because of missing or invalid personalization information." The program then shuts down. This is very frustrating as just a month or two ago elements worked fine on my computer. Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NS
Nancy_S
Oct 6, 2003
Steve,

I did a search for this problem on the PS forum. The fix was stated to be a uninstall/reinstall of the program. Probably best to delete the preferences folder before reinstall, it otherwise doesn’t get deleted.
RM
Rita_Mistry
Oct 7, 2003
I’m having the same problem. I work at a college in England, and have build the software as a package so that it can be allocated to other machines within the college. I have rebuilt the software as a packages as well as re-creating the preference file but it hasn’t worked.
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 7, 2003
Rita and Steve,

A search for that error message on the Adobe Support Site pointed here…

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/30456.htm>
LK
LEON_KARAS
Oct 7, 2003
Sorry but you have pointed to "could not personalize your copy…." not "could not complete your request…". I’ve got the "could not complete your request and can’t fix it. Anyone any ideas that worked. I’ve tried the uninstall/reinstall and it did not work. I note that I have not deleted the Preferences folder. Does removing this and reinstalling really work??

Regards Leon Karas – NETWORK MANAGER
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 7, 2003
Rita and Leon – could you both give more information about what’s going on? The original poster – Steve – says his version of Elements used to work correctly and now doesn’t, and that he’s getting the message about invalid personalization information. Nancy’s suggestion to him was to uninstall and reinstall, with the Preference folder deleted separately. We don’t know if that worked or not because he hasn’t reposted.

Rita, you imply you’re getting the same message but don’t say for sure, and, Leon, you’re getting a different error message.

It would be helpful if both of you would post again with more details about the platform and operating systems you’re using, the specifications of the computers you’re running, and what’s happened up to the point of the error message.

And, are either of you trying to use Elements on a network? I do know it wasn’t designed for that kind of use, so that could be presenting some unique problems that the "usual" fixes won’t touch.

Leon – if a program has been operating correctly and then one or more features quit working the way they had been, it’s possible the preference folder has become corrupted. Deleting that is a pretty common cure. Also, uninstalling the program on most Win and Mac machines doesn’t get this Preference folder out of the system, and it has to be done manually. If a reinstall is done with the old folder in place, corruption can be carried into the new install.
LK
LEON_KARAS
Oct 8, 2003
Hi, we have a windows 2000 server driving xp workstations.

We run the system under a third party modified operating system called CONNECT 3 supplied by RM (Research Machines).

We create an msi install package on a "clean" workstation (i.e. has no other applications installed on it except xp and a few rm utilities.) This msi package is then stored on the server (automatically) and the package applied to all other workstations which need it. When I installed Photoshop Elements on the clean workstation, everything works aok. If I install the program directly on any individual station it works aok.
However, if I use a workstation which has the msi pacakge installed, when you run the msi install package for the first time, it runs the msi installer (WININSTALL LE) and installs the program on that station and then tries to run the program. At that point the adobe photoshop elements initial screen starts where it says "initialising" and then immediately gives a new window entitled "Adobe Photoshop Elements" containing "could not complete your request because of missing or invalid personalization information".

We have done this hundreds of times with other programs and they all work, except the Photoshop Elements.

Hope that helps. Any ideas what I can do.

regards leon
LK
LEON_KARAS
Oct 8, 2003
Also I have tried reinstalling on the clean workstation and then reapplying but its still the same.

regards leon
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 8, 2003
Leon, unless you have another identity under which you’re known as "Chris", you’re the second person to ask about this in the last few days. He, too, was asking about an MSI to get Elements to run on a network. I gave him the 800 number for Adobe’s general support line, but Chris never posted again, so there’s no way to tell if he got this resolved or not.

Since Elements was not intended to be run from a server, and since this forum was set up primarily for home users, this isn’t the greatest place to access help for this kind of problem.

Are you in the U. S? The other thread has the 800 number posted. Otherwise you might have to check the website for information on how to contact Adobe from where you live.

Edit: I retrieved the number, just in case: 1-800-833-6687
LK
LEON_KARAS
Oct 10, 2003
Sorry but I thought I had responded to this yesterday but I can’t find it! Never mind, here it is again.

I’m not exactly running it on a network. We build the package and copy it to each computer and it runs from the c drive of each computer, not from a shared drive.

Does this change your response?

regards leon
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 10, 2003
Well… yes and no! Did you try contacting Adobe?

See, I’m so uneducated about working with multiple computers – on or off a network – that I now have this image of you trying to stretch the purchase of one copy of Elements beyond the licensing agreement. That sure can’t be what you’re trying to do, or you wouldn’t have posted it on a forum for all the world to see! Which means I still have to stick to my position that you’re asking too much of us home users. The only thing most of us know how to do is put the Elements CD in the computer and run the install routine. 🙂

And, since I’m the only one that’s responded, I have to assume everybody here is in just about the same boat. Contacting Adobe is probably going to be your best route.
BM
Bill_Murphy
Oct 10, 2003
When I start PE, and it looks for updates, the process is unsuccesful with an error 21:-124. This happens consistently. I tried going out to the update site .jsp and got a message that it wasn’t found. Any ideas?
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 10, 2003
Bill, I don’t know what that particular error message is, but I suggest you just turn off the option to check for updates automatically. There haven’t been any important ones for a couple of years! The last time somebody did find one, we all learned it was something we had anyway.

Go to Edit>Preferences>Adobe Online and change the frequency to Never. Almost everyone here on the forum does that, and it saves a lot of frustration.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections