LA
Posted By
Lorraine_A.
Oct 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to get a raw plug-in for Elements so I can open my raw files?

I know you can get one for Photoshop 5 and up but I don’t have Photoshop yet…

Thanks
Lorraine 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 5, 2003
Lorraine, it’s a $99 plug-in for Elements and it doesn’t cover all cameras. Which camera are you using?
LA
Lorraine_A.
Oct 5, 2003
Chuck,
I am using an Olympus E20. Thanks for the info. I haven’t found any plug-in for it yet. I was going to upgrade to Elements 2.0 but if I can’t get a plug-in for the raw files, then I may have to bite the bullet and go for Photoshop.
Thanks
Lorraine
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 6, 2003
Lorraine: Photoshop CS (aka Photoshop 8) has been announced; the plug-in is included in the package as opposed to being an add-on. Will ship in late November.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 6, 2003
Lorraine

Olympus also provides (although with no automated setup) a plug-in which enables Photoshop (or other Photoshop plug-in compatible software) to import Olympus RAW files. Here at least you can do ‘spot white balance’ but it’s very basic and of limited use. The other problem is that the plug-in has no option to import as 8-bit, this means that you’re working with very large files and it takes Photoshop far longer to perform the import process.

You may also want to look at Qimage http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

Grant
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 6, 2003
Wondering, dont all compatible cameras come with raw converter software ??
R
Ray
Oct 6, 2003
Yes, but for some, the included converter is nothing more than a slow working piece of software (i.e. Canon…)
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 6, 2003
oh ok. My FinePix raw converter LE seems pretty quick…I guess I should be thankful 😉
R
Ray
Oct 6, 2003
Also, some 3rd party converter will make it possible for the user to autmote his / her work. Like applying the same settings to a group of pictures. Sometimes, they come with greater precision, or different decoding algorithm (like the Adobe Raw Converter). I’m usually the one that says "stick
with the original manufacturer", but in this case, and for my camera, the Adobe Camera Raw Plugin
does seem a wiser choice the included File Viewer Utility. Right Chuck ? 😉

Ray
TN
Tony Nazar
Oct 8, 2003
In article ,
wrote:

Lorraine, it’s a $99 plug-in for Elements and it doesn’t cover all cameras. Which camera are you using?

I run PE2 with Adobe Photoshop Camera RAW and take photos with an E-20N. Camera RAW works with Elements just fine. It doesn’t support 16 bit color, only 8 bit, but that’s not noticeable unless you’re shooting for high end New York galleries. Were that the case, I suspect you’d be using something more than an E-20 and Elements. 🙂

Tony Nazar

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections